Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£12.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 4 February 2011
This compilation of Peter Skellern's Decca work includes his big 70s hit, You're a Lady and some other ballads, but it highlights the lesser known, quirky side of Skellern's work, mostly taken from tne album Holding My Own, which featured a mix of self-penned comic numbers and some reaching back to music hall.

Skellern may not be the greatest singer in the world in terms of range but he can do gormless Northern very well, on Our Jackie's Getting Married (from his debut album) and The Tattooed Lady (not the one whereof Groucho sang) from Holding My Own. There are also some mildly satirical pieces including Skellern's own view on the dubious benefits of fame, Society Ladies, and Noel Coward's That Is The End of the News, introduced by Joyce Grenfell in a Coward revue but well suited to Skellern's understated style - this, incidentally, was the recording which brought him to the attention of later musical accomplice Richard Stilgoe.

An interesting mix of material, then, although some buyers may question the title "Best of", as it doesn't really concentrate on his singles. But for my money this works well as a snapshot of his output.

For his take on standards, drawn from his albums Astaire, Still Magic and elsewhere, see the other Spectrum CD Sentimentally Yours, which has some beatiful arrangements.

For those who know the original albums it's frustrating that Skellern's work is currently only available on these compilations but at current marketplace prices at least you can get a generous couple of helpings at a budget price.
"You're a lady" is possibly the best known track here on this best of Peter Skellern album but the whole collection is an excellent choice of tracks. "You're a lady" the single reached number 3 in the singles chart in 1972. And this collection begins with the other big hit "hold on to love" which reached number 14 in 1975. This album contains some excellent tracks that prove what a great singer songwriter Peter Skellern is.
on 15 November 2007
A real bargain this - I got it as I only have recordings on vinyl. A nice mix this, many tracks with full brass band arrangements. A great musician and proper song writer - Mr Skellers personality shines through.

Didn't include the track "No more Sunday papers" otherwise a spot on collection.

Alistair
on 3 October 2013
This man I have loved since I heard "Youre a Lady" in 1972 ( which I was disappointed that it did not make No1 ( it was stopped from being no1 by........Mouldy Ol Dough" no less!!)
Even after 41 years this song still makes me cry and have been known to change the words around for Karaoke "Im a Lady..Youre a man" This man is my fav singer...... and " Youre a Lady" is my fav song of ALL time.
This Cd was originally in 'The World Of ' series. His second single " Our Jackie's Getting Married" is also here. Its pure romantic ballads on this CD of his early 70's stuff. IF you love Peter as I do you will buy it. Its cheap enough x
on 18 April 2015
Although this age music is not the usual type of music I buy, I especially wanted a song which I heard on radio recently "My Lonely Room". I was pleasantly surprised to know many other track by these artists,...."Hold onto Love", "You're A Lady"' , "Skin And Bone", "Piano Rag", With 5-6 tracks on an album that you know makes this therefore in my eyes good value for money, I therefore recommend this CD, it is easy listening and good value for money.
on 29 November 2013
Peter Skellern is a very good musician as one or two of the songs on here show. Later recordings, (listen to Oasis, brilliant), are a lot better. Some of these sound like they've been transferred from a 78, but the songs themselves are what your buying. This is not the very best of Peter Skellern really,his music and recordings were a lot better later on, but I really only bought this for "Your A lady" any way !
on 8 July 2011
Always a quirky performer, I loved this performance. His music is different to the norm and not everyones cup of tea. But his is a rare talent. A good recording.
on 1 May 2013
Peter Skellern typifies all that is best in homegrown talent which is presented without fuss and just carries the listener along
in an unmistakeable style
on 3 December 2013
I have been trying to get hold of this cd for ages! Great to hear these old masterpieces again and all on one cd as well! More than happy with purchase!
on 23 June 2014
Have been a fan of this guy for years, & getting the opportunity to update ny clollectin was a briliant trip down memory lane.