Format: Audio CDChange

on 14 January 2000
I've always found James's albums frustrating before - they always seem to have several outstanding tracks alongside several weak, self indulgent ones.
Not any more! This is a superb set of songs, performed with evident enjoyment by all the band members. I think the key word here is self-discipline - they've finally realised what works and stuck to it.
Only two tracks let it down (Afro Lover and Vervaceous), but the rest more than make up for it. In particular, I Know What I'm Here For, Fred Astaire (a real pop song!) and Millionaires stand out. And Crash is a superb opener.
If, like me, you weren't convinced before - take the plunge! (But not album of the year - try Wilco's Summerteeth).
on 6 December 1999
Ask people about James and they immediately answer "Sit Down". Well, they're more than just that and this album proves it. I believe this to be the band's best effort to date and Tim Booth just goes from strength to strength. The album bursts into "Crash" and eventually you are rooted to "Shooting my mouth off". I'm sure we can all relate to this one. I've always rated James, but the lyrics have always been too deep at times, but not this time. Is Tim in love?
on 3 May 2009
I have been a James fan for some years, but having recently purchased Millionaires I believe this to be the best James album I have heard.
The songs are just brilliant, and a lot of work has clearly gone into the lyrics. The style is professional pop but not cheesy or manufactured. The sound is distinctive James, but quite unlike other albums.
I recommend Millionaires not only to any James fan but particularly to someone who doesn't know them and wants to broaden thier music taste.
on 3 November 1999
Although this is harder to get into than earlier albums such as Laid and Whiplash it is none the less worth the effort. It is a little overproduced in places but one feels that James are finally "playing the game" with regards to the recording industry. Tracks that stand out are We're going to miss you - a chant designed to protect the band from harm and Vervacious which is breathtaking in its simplicity. Another triumph from the unfashionably fashionable James!
on 9 May 2010
Absolutely a grower. Didn't think it would be a patch on Laid, Seven or even Whiplash, but have dicovered, rather late in the day, I'm embarrased to say, that this is a quite beautiful and precious album to behold. Maybe not to everybody's tastes, but should be be given more than a 'sit down' of a listen.
on 4 November 1999
A very suttle concoction from James, world apart from prevous albums, yet somewhat familier. Not many anthem tracks here, but as usual great melodies and lyrics to die for.
on 10 September 2009
Wow.... I'm a huge James fan but somehow always missed this album, heard the songs but together its magic! Any James fan needs this, correction everybody needs this!
on 24 April 2013
El disco me ha encantado, lo llevaba buscando mucho tiempo y al fin lo tengo. La entrega a tiempo y en perfectas condiciones.
on 15 March 2013
I bought this as a Christmas present so I haven't heard it myself but my discerning uncle thinks it's fab!
on 4 November 1999
A great record that puts James back where they belong at the top of the charts. Buy it.