4.0 out of 5 stars Nashville refugee gone done real good!
Shelby Lynne and Sheryl Crow have a lot in common. Superficially they come over as handsome, tough ladies ready to drink you under the table then spit beer in yer eye. Musically they are both produced by the distinctive Bill Bottrell and make music that draws its inspiration from many styles with a rock-country-blues crossover to the fore.
But the similarities...
Published on 26 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing
After heaving read the raving reviews and after hearing "Lies etc." and "Little Lovin'" I was slightly disappointed by the poppy character of this one. Still, plenty of good songs. Shelby has been gracing my cd player for the last couple of weeks.
Published on 31 Mar 2011 by voyager12

4.0 out of 5 stars Nashville refugee gone done real good!, 26 Mar 2000
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
But the similarities are only skin deep. Whilst Crow's material basks in the 1000 mega-watt light of promotional publicity, Lynne spurns such activity. Crow has been the darling of the mainstream media since her more-than-adequate debut in the mid-90s, plodding a slow, steady, predictable path of TV appearances, glossy mag covers and Bond themes to a position of music industry nomenclature - a position she can milk for the rest of her life without ever having to make an outstanding record.
Alabama native Shelby Lynne on the other hand, has suffered years as a Nashville stable also-ran, producing formulaic album after album that straight jacketed a talent which has come bursting onto the scene with this album. The title says it all: "This is the real me, this is what I can do!"
The result is a collection of songs that , whilst stylistically similar to much of Sheryll Crow's material, is much stronger, musically, lyrically and emotionally than that of the west-coast darlin'. The soulful "Leavin'", the bayouesque "Where I'm From", and the Specter-inspired "Your Lies" all sound genuine, heartfelt musical expression, rather than exercises in style. "Life is Bad", a gruff slice of bar stool philosophy and "Why Can't You Be?" are juicy chunks of rootsy blues pie, whilst "Thought it Would be Easier", "Dreamsome" and "Gotta Get Back" are laid-back, jaunty melodies that you'll have trouble shifting from your head. The Gumbo girl rounds it off with the jazzy coda "Black Light Blue".
Whether it was the indignity of the Nashville experience, or a natural aversion, Lynne has so far spurned all the marketing hype. But the good will out, and this album is a genuine wonder. Like Macy Gray's triumph of last year, it looks like this one's going to be a slow burner, building up a head of steam through word of mouth alone. And believe me, once you hear it, you won't be able to stop talking about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Country / Soul crossover, 26 Jun 2002
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
This is an outstanding album - One of those rarities where the hype is justified.
Much has been written of Shelby's troubled youth and we'll never know for sure if this has been a creative driver in her life, but this album is a pressure cooker of simmering anguish. To be honest, the lyrucs suggest a broken heart from a broken relationship - but this may well be transposition.
The term Alt. Country has to be one of the worst yet divised for a musical genre, but this album falls under this catagory. It is a real hybrid of trad. country and southern soul. A new (To me, at least) and very refreshing combination. This is one of those special album that, despite being of a sombre and reflective tone, is actually incredibly uplifting.
I've got some advice for you. BUY THIS ALBUM. If you give it a couple of listens and don't like it, I will personnally give you your money back. I may even pay for the operation too...

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!! BUY IT NOW!, 8 Dec 2004
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
I bought this album after seeing the video to 'Your Lies' at the end of an episode of TOTP2, and it has become one of the most played albums in my collection. From the opening 'your Lies' to the closing notes of 'Black Light Blue' the whole album is, in my opinion, flawless. Shelby covers Sheryl Crow style country rock to soft bluesy songs such as 'Lookin up'. Light a few candles, laze back with a glass of wine and I guarantee you will love the album. I can't praise it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme, a stunning album from a stunning talent, 20 Jan 2001
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this album compulsively since I bought it. Not a note or word is out of place in any of the songs and every thing you'll hear is infused with soul, passion and sensuality. Every song is unique unto itself and this variety is a joy to behold, it's an aural treat. In an age of overblown epics and indulgent songwriters these perfectly formed three minute slices of a vibrant life are more than just a breath of fresh air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 10 July 2000
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
This album is a genuine 100% modern classic....a superb emotional trawl tinged with pathos and deep country soul...every song is individually a gem but when fused together in the course of an album the result is truly more than the sum of its parts.
This is a classy authentic album which will be remebered as a milestone for forging the path for other soul/country singers..an incredibly beautiful testement to the talents of Ms.Lynne..
Best song : Lookin' up
listen to this album..it will change the way you think about music for ever

4.0 out of 5 stars We're not in Nashville anymore, Toto!, 28 July 2000
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
This album 'I am Shelby Lynne' defies categorisation. It's NOT country, but as to what it IS, I couldn't tell ya. One thing I can say - it's GOOD! I've got 'Alabama Song' by Allison Moorer, (they're sisters I'm told) but it's not like that either. 'Life Is Bad' has a kinda Sheryl Crow vibe going on, and in places I'm put in mind of The Shirelles or The Shangrilas. (I know, I'm making it sound bizarre.) It's funny though, cos everyone seems to go out and buy I.A.S.L. pretty much blind, (well it's not like it's likely to get airplay or anything!) Something drew me to this album and I'm glad it did. If you're interested, the last two albums I bought on faith without ever hearing a note were Alanis' 'Jagged Little Pill and Hole 'Live Through This', and I love them too! Stand out tracks? 'Thought It Would Be Easier' and 'Your Lies'. An instant classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 Months spent well..., 9 Jan 2003
Milt Ingarfield "milt_fm" (Arbroath, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
From the cover photo of this album, with the blue-eyed stare you get the impression this lady is going to take none of anybody's crap!The title of this collection gives the viewer the same message.

This lady spent 10 years banging her head against the wall on her previous label "Epic" doing the things the Nashville way. With a change of label and with taking control of her own career, and then spending 12 months in the studio with "Sheryl Crow's ex-producer "Bill Bottrell" she came up with this superb sounding soul country cross-over sound.

Her vocals are delivered with clarity sophistication and punch, the lyrics tell of how things used to be. This album is just barely over 36 minutes long but is case of less is more, you put this baby on and before you know it, it's over...ESSENTIAL!

4.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable album - and it's NOT country!, 30 Nov 1999
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
This a fine offering from the 31 year old Alabama beauty, although a little short at 36 mins duration. The ten tracks are nicely varied and mesh together well. The tracks 'Your Lies' and 'Life is Bad' are the undoubted high points but 'why can't you be?' and 'Where I'm from' are also strong. My one down point is the lack of a strong track to finish off. However, considering I bought this on the slimmest of recommendations, I am mightily pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
Love this cd, great tracks throughout, now one of my favourite Shelby Lynne cds. Interesting artist and i will start checking out more of her work

5.0 out of 5 stars Alabama-Influenced Country Soul, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: I Am Shelby Lynne (Audio CD)
With a great sassy voice, this album by the Virginia-born singer-songwriter ranks up with the best soulful material of Carole King. Moreover, "Gotta Get Back" is the closest a white woman is ever going to sound like Aretha Franklin. Yes, she's that good. Perhaps growing up in Alabama helped? My favourite track is "Leavin", a tale of a relationship's end of the road. With superb knob-twiddling by Bill Bottrell, the arrangement is sublime with space for Lynne's acoustic guitar. In a sense, this was recorded eight years too late, for it would have been the perfect soundtrack for Geena Davis as the goofy downtrodden wife Thelma Dickinson who hit the road with Louise.

ARRAY(0xa30c40cc)

I Am Shelby Lynne
I Am Shelby Lynne by Shelby Lynne (Audio CD - 1999)