‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine lost classic - seriously!, 15 Dec 2004
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
I'm not really sure why this album sank without trace upon its release, or why every professional review I've ever read of it seems so nonplussed. I suppose the story of a "Britpop" band making a disappointing second album and disappearing without trace is so familiar that it practically writes itself, without a thought as to whether or not it might apply in this case.
This record is astounding. I believe I once heard the sound described as "trip-hop", which does it a massive disservice. It's "trip-hop" only in the most complimentary sense; dripping in atmosphere and distinguished melody. Indeed, it's so far ahead of the post-Britpop crowd in 1999 that in a way I can see why they had trouble selling it as the straight guitar album suggested by bolt-on single-by-numbers "Blue Skies".
It's hard to convincingly enthuse about Mobile Home in words, because it's charm comes from the sheer strength of the songs. Perhaps it's best to communicate its quality by thinking about the personnel involved; The best voice of the "Britpop" era combined with a guitarist who later, packaged to the "singer songwriter" coffee table crowd, was to be lauded in his own right.
I think perhaps few people listened hard enough first time around simply because you don't expect to hear songs of this caliber on the sophomore effort of a knockabout guitar pop band. In reality, the Longpigs were streets ahead of their contemporaries. We only have two records to remember them by, and Mobile Home is absolutely essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous 2nd and final album, 21 Aug 2006
M. S. Skeldon (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
First of all I'm diappointed with the review from amazon, it sounds like they were expecting not to like the album before giving it a chance.

I think the main problem this album faced was it dared to be different than the first album. The Longpigs dared to elvolve and grow and people couldn't cope with that.

I think this album is brilliant. Some songs take a while to get into, and it is an album that takes a little work. But these albums are generally the ones that stay with you longer, and this is one of those albums.

For me this album has the right balance of up tempo, guitar driven and softer songs to make it a great album. there seems to be a song for every mood!

It is a shame this passed under the radar because it is a great work of art and it is a bigger shame this is the last we heard of the longpigs. Hopefully Cripsins new band Gramercy will surface soon. At least we have Richard Hawley making fantastic solo albums!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant album from a very brilliant band!, 18 Nov 1999
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
If you heard their first album and loved it, then this one will probably take a little getting used to at first - you have to listen to it a few times before you really start to like it. While I was initially disappointed that there weren't any really rollicking tunes in the vein of `She Said' and `Jesus Christ', and even though none of the new stuff even matches up to the heartbreaking beauty of `On and On' (arguably their finest work so far), the songs on this album have a far more sensual, slow-burning quality to them. You have to let them grow on you. The whole mood of the album is very sexy, very slinky, very "saucy" (to quote a certain Radio 1 DJ's description). And once you start picking out each individual song, you'll start to notice each one's particular, peculiar attractions. Very enjoyable, like a blissful, dreamy courtship, this album will win you over in time. Well done Crispin...

5.0 out of 5 stars Most under-rated album of all time, 30 Dec 2007
R. A. Forsyth (Nairn, Nairnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
I can't disagree with any of the reviews on here except the one Amazon have done. I agree that the first album contained some absolutely class songs, but I personally found it rather patchy. I remember Crispin being on one of the music shows promoting a video for the new album, and him being such an overblown big head that I seriously considered not buying Mobile Home at all. I presume he was "under the weather" at the time, but luckily I decided to buy it after all, and was then amazed that someone so full of himself was so capable of writing such stunningly sensitive, beautiful music. There are five or six songs on this album that will simply blow you away with the emotion contained in them, and how well they are sung.

Apart from the Amazon review, there are no bad reviews of this album because it is quite simply a lost gem of British rock music, and anyone who is capable of giving music a chance to grow on them(probably not the i-Pod generation who never seem to listen to an album as an entity)will be rewarded with the realisation of what a treasure they have found. Even when I listen to this album after all this time I am still at a loss to understand why it didn't get the recognition it deserved. There are rumours Crispin might be working on a solo album, so all is not lost for the future, as I am sure most of us would be very interested in hearing more from such an undoubted musical talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars ignore the "official" Amazon write up..., 23 July 2004
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
Unfortunately - for unknown reasons - it was popular and trendy in the music press to dismiss Longpigs (much as Amazon's offical reviewer has)
Having traveled the world with this quirky and inventive album for a number of years - I can state that friends who know nothing of the vagaries and tastes of the UK music press and have listend to this all think its fantastic - original, unusual and layered with lots of good tunes. Its funny how the professional music writers can't get enough of the Flaming Lips' weirdness (and rightly so) but dismiss bands such as Longpigs who produce similarly skewed music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Genius, 29 Nov 2002
Mr. F. S. Prince "essdog" (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
I have put off reviewing this album for some time now, simply because words do not do it justice. In a vast CD collection it takes pride of place and three years after its release I still have not tired of it, despite constant rotation!

Crispin Hunt is THE songwriter of a generation. His lyrics, although often bizarre ("Lying in the sun like a fat dog with you, is worth cancer"), are nothing short of genius. 'Mobile Home' encompasses a range of styles to keep it interesting, yet as an album, it flows like all great records should. The album recalls tall tales of love, drugs and well erm... celebrity dogs ("...like Lassie's final mile"!)
The achingly beautiful songs such as 'Gangsters', 'Misbeliever' and 'In the Snow' are enough to bring a lump to the throat of any grown man. These contrast starkly with the anthemic guitar driven 'Blue Skies' and the lounging 'Baby Blue' making for a truly excellent and criminally overlooked album. There is not a single bad song on this record and it is tragic that Crispin Hunt has disappeared from the music scene.
Come back Crispin, the world needs you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album, but takes a bit of getting used to., 26 May 2000
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
"Mobile Home" is a superb album, but don't expect to fall in love with it on the first listening. For me, it took a good few encounters before many of the quirky melodies started to embed themselves in my head. Now, it's just one of those albums that hangs around in, or near my hi-fi CD tray constantly. And it seems to be one of those albums, rather like Radiohead's "The Bends", that once its started, I can't bear to switch off before its finished. So allow yourself a good hour for each encounter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer beauty. Plain and simple., 4 Feb 2001
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
I bought this album for £2 in the post-Christmas virgin sale, simply as an album to listen to on my journey o and from school. I didn't expect much, but never could've predicted what I got - this album is simply gorgeous. Sweeping, swooning, shimmying, secuding, purring, magnificance, all of it. Crispin Hunt, who in an ideal world would be an enormous star, writes like a man whose soul is on fire, and is capable of setting your alight too. Just let him.

5.0 out of 5 stars On and on and on and on, 21 April 2000
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
Thank god for the longpigs. At first I was a little disappointed by this album, hoping for more of The Sun Is Often Out stuff, but it grows on you.... I'm not sure anyone could ever improve on On and On, but they've had a damn good try with I lied I love you, which is a superb song. Well it's a good album (although don't try to count the references to cocaine - you won't have enough fingers), I love it, and you should all buy it, simple as that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album I have heard in a very long time, 11 Nov 1999
This review is from: Mobile Home (Audio CD)
My god! what can I say? I was pleasantly surprised to listen to such a *smashing* album from the Longpigs. They have most certainly moved away slightly from their previous style...dare I say ,for the better? The first track on the album itself is a cracker , with such uplifting lyrics as 'Love like you've never been burnt' etc. The album gets better and better with corkers like Blue Skies, the unbelievably sexy 'Baby Blue', the somewhat peculiar sounds of 'Dance Baby Dance' , and the slow yet beautifully painful melody of I Lied I Love you. Basically this is a more mature Crispin and if this is what he was doing during those disappearing years , then the album was certainly well worth waiting for!! Listen for yourself!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mobile Home
Mobile Home by Long Pigs (Audio CD - 2004)