5.0 out of 5 stars As relevant now as then.
If there is one band I keep on returning to after all these years-it is this one, Joy Division. You know how you get bored with most of your collection? Not so with Joy Division. It is still an occasion when a Joy Division track plays, it is music which you listen to with all of your mind, it takes you away from the present and you get absorbed into the stunning drum...
Published on 13 April 2000 by paul_prowse@notcutts.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Round-up of non-album tracks
Perfecly complementing their two essential studio albums, Unknown Pleasures and Closer, this expanded compilation re-issue rounds up their legendary singles, including Transmission/Novelty, Love Will Tear Us Apart/These Days and Atmosphere/She's Lost Control, none of which appeared on the albums and are rightly regarded as among their greatest works.

Substance...
Published on 2 Aug 2007 by Lozarithm

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been 5 stars but my version of Atmosphere ..., 7 July 2014
This review is from: Substance (MP3 Download)
Would have been 5 stars but my version of Atmosphere has 20 seconds of Samantha Morton asking 'Who's Annik.....?' from the film 'Control'. What on earth is this doing here?

4.0 out of 5 stars great album, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
Bought this album as lots of my older stuff has disappeared over the years & its as good today as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb album . Buy it an see, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
One of the best bands of all time an some EXCELLENT tracks on this . Only got into JD recently , can't stop listening to them now .

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to listen to, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
I bought this for a friend as a "stocking filler" for Christmas as his previous copy got damaged. He was over the moan with it as he has been a Joy Division fan for many years. Recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic brilliance, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
Brilliant album, I love Joy Division, I haven't played it for ages, it just gets better, definitely one of my faves :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 16 Jan 2013
Willothewisp (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
Just another cracking album from Joy Division. What more can I say, if you like Jot Division, you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy, 5 Jan 2013
Mr. M. A. Hilton (Berlin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
...in being a must have. If you know the deal, you should have.Unique.Timeless. Brilliant. Boss. It doesn't get much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best band ever?, 6 Nov 2012
Michael M. Murray "clan murray" (Derby England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
Yes I know Joy Division have something like three dozen complilation albums out there and they all roughly the same but this one is neat and compact and has the essentials on it. As always nice cover and minimilaistic information is part of the product experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Most Influential Bands of the Last 30 Years, 23 Nov 2011
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
This compilation of Joy Division's early material is, for me, probably their best recorded effort. As well as containing the 4 tracks on the original Warsaw EP Ideal For Living, it also contains the classic songs Transmission, Atmosphere and Dead Souls. Dead Souls was the first song I ever saw Joy Division perform live at the London YMCA in 1979 (when they were supported by The Teardrop Explodes and Echo and the Bunnymen) and the remarkable sight of Ian Curtis coming across the stage, arms flailing, to that magnificent intro will live with me forever.

Whilst Unknown Pleasures and Closer do, of course, contain some great songs, I was never entirely happy with the production, particularly on the debut album which I feel is too muted. In fact, their sound on my live bootleg tapes from the same period are much more vibrant, albeit Bernie Albrecht/Sumner's guitar playing sometimes required some attention i.e. tuning!

Undoubtedly one of the most influential bands of the last 30 years, much imitated, but not equalled, Joy Division produced more high quality material in less than 4 years than their successor band, New Order, have done in the following 30 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Joy' is not the word I'd use....., 8 Aug 2011
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Substance (Audio CD)
Though I bought much of my music back when JD were hot and making their mark, their dour lyrics and disinterested sounding lead singer (Curtis) always seemed to put me off them.

Punk and that 'sort' of music went too far against my musical taste and the conservative way I was brought up. However, a wiser and wider ear and acceptance has brought me to discover the gems that slipped me by. My love of the Manic Street Preachers brought back to the Clash; the great Michael Winterbottom film '24 Hour Party People' that I've viewed four times now, to Joy Division and the Happy Mondays.

Some of the rougher stuff on this Best Of CD still does wash over me but I now love that stolid drumming, the gut-churning bass and the Curtis drone that makes favourites like 'Love Will...', 'Digital', 'Autosuggestion' and 'She's Lost Control' rather likeable. Compared to the over-produced pap that so often goes (and always has) for 'music', this is sparse and moody, superbly interwoven with mischief and intrigue.

Substance
Substance by Joy Division (Audio CD - 1999)