Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 May 2001
Blown away by their performance at Glastonbury, this Cd was a must, surely their best acheivement to date. The music takes the sensitivity and bittersweet optimism that made Counting Crows what they are, to a whole new level. Mrs Potter's lullaby is equisite and the heartwrenching Colorblind is a must for any avid listener.
The album is an incredible progression, their sound more polished and varied, yet still not losing the original appeal of touching lyrics and raw emotion. This Desert Life is a companion for life.
on 11 January 2000
This is the crows at their very best...again! On first listen this seems to be rather disappointing but give it a few plays and it'll never leave the cd player...i promiss!! Every track offers an element of genius, something different but something amazing. I cant rave about this album enough, words cant describe the quality on here so if you havent already got it go and buy it now. This should be rated as one the best albums of the 90's...maybe one day it'll get the credit it deserves!!Enjoy.
on 10 July 2000
I was first introduced to this album by a friend. At first I thought that my friend had become some freack as I really didn't like it. Then I listened to it more and more and I love it. It has become one of the biggest albumes in my house. We are forever playing it and can not get enough of the track 'colourblind.' If you want chill out music with a difference I would defently buy this. I am so glad that my frined introduced me to it .
VINE VOICEon 6 April 2008
You know, I never thought that the Counting Crows would pass the one-hit wonder tag from Mr. Jones... I know the fans will hate me but I thought that was going to be case.
Boy I WAS WRONG! I started to buy the back catalogue because I really liked the 'August & Everything After' album and I didn't remember what happened to them; I stopped following their career until a friend of mine brought them back with some these amazing songs.

This record is overly great, open, the songs are so colored with different textures, and actually ALL of them are different, the inclusion of orchestra in the record fits PERFECTLY to the melodies. 'High Life' is a great example of this... the matured and personally I think they've got better.

If you try to fit this record into a style you end saying...pop, but man it has folk, ballads, rock & pop... there's a great variety of styles to enjoy... again, how wrong was.

What a great album... listen to 'speedway' and relax man... relax.

Let the music play!
on 16 October 2000
Didnt like this album first time i heard it but it really grew on me. Went and saw them live in Bournemouth in feb and they just blew me away. definately best live band i have ever seen. so much so i saw them again in june at wembly and was shocked that this band could even be a 100x better than the first time i saw them. all the songs from this desert life are just so enthusing and enliving. they make you wanna get up and dance and yet at the same time hang your head in tears. i couldnt possibly chose a favourite song because they are all so special in their own way and all good for a sing along! looking forward to seeing if the counting crows can even top this album with their next (hey i didnt think they could top recovering the satelites and was proved wrong!) A must listen for anyone who has ever even heard of counting crows
on 11 December 1999
So you're a fan of the crows: you thought their first album was perhaps one of the best albums ever made. You rushed to get the second album, and after a few plays were well into it and loved it just as much. You've been waiting years for their third album in anticipation of something big...
You rush to the shops, buy the CD, put it in your CD player, and press play...
"NOOOOO!! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE??"
Ok so you play it again... "Hey, this is alright I guess"
And again.. and again... "WOW!"
This really takes a lot of listening to.. but when you get into it it is an amazing album. If you liked the crows before, you wont be dissapointed (just dont go by your first play). Stick with it... and you'll learn to love it.
on 1 December 2007
Third studio album from Counting Crows, "This Desert Life" has a handful of very good songs, a couple of decent songs and also a few misses.

"Hanging Around" was one of the singles, and it's both catchy and melodic, but the repetitive chaotic ending never really appealed to me. Much better is second track "Mrs Potter's Lullaby", an epic song that would have suited the great Van Morrison perfectly.

Other favourites are the REM sounding "Four Days", the dramatic "I Wish I was a Girl", the melancholy "Speedway" and the semi-acoustic closer "St. Robinson in his Cadillac Dreams" - great fat organ and mandolin.

The album as a whole may not be quite up to the high standards of their debut, but still a great album that will satisfy fans of the band. Classic American Rock!
on 14 April 2000
To say that the Crows have done it again would be to underestimate their desire to go that little bit further with each record. Here they take us into their very room where the liveness and the home-recorded treatment of duritz's vocals sit happily over their most acoustic sound to date. We can see how their direction has changed from Satellites by listening to the Storytellers CD from Across the Wire but to get here took courage. At a time where simplicity is fast being replaced by anthems in the rock world, its good to see the Crows strip everything down to a nakedness that in some bands shows up the weakness of the lyrics but with the Crows it only displays their strength. Intimacy has never been so fine.
on 2 January 2001
Great stuff, with some memorable and moving tracks that keep you melancholy all day! Colorblind is NOT the best song, so if you are buying it on the strength of that (like so many people), prepare to be ever-so-slightly blown away.
And to the reviewer who thought that he'd give it 1 star when he really loved it just so he could get attention, no that is NOT a clever thing to do because it damages the average customer review score and so could put people off!!
Anyway if you like this music, check out Counting Crows "Recovering the Satellites" and the two Third Eye Blind albums. SUPERB STUFF.
on 5 January 2000
Welcome back to the Crows best yet. Check out "I wish I was a girl", gets better with each listening, the stand out track on a stand out collection. Eat your heart out REM.