5.0 out of 5 stars When i stepped out into the bright sunlight
The Outsiders is one of those rare films that changes forever the way you think.

The movie is based on my favourite book of all time by S E Hinton and if you havent read it you can buy it here The Outsiders (Puffin Modern Classics)

Published on 9 Oct 2011 by Beanie Luck Spud

3.0 out of 5 stars The new music aggghhhhhhh
Loved this film as a kid and couldn't wait to get my hands on the special edition.
Published on 16 July 2012 by DVC81

5.0 out of 5 stars When i stepped out into the bright sunlight, 9 Oct 2011
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

The film is based in the 1950's where there are 2 types of kids, you have the rich kids who are called the soc and you have the poor kids from the wrong side of town called the greasers.

Now the greasers and the soc never mix, its a bad idea but they are always having rumbles which are basically street fights.

Synopsis:

Ponyboy (c thomas howell) is the main character and the narrator od the story, he lives with his 2 brothers sodapop (Rob lowe) and Darry (patrick swayze). They kind of have an open house so their friends are always coming and going.
Steve (tom cruise), two bit emilio estevez), dallas (matt dillon) and johnny (ralph macchio).

Ponyboy and Johnny go to a movie and make friends with one of the soc girls, a young redhead called cherry (diane lane). Later that night whilst Ponyboy and Johnny are in the park a car full of soc kids come along and start a fight for talkign to cherry, one of the soc is about to kill ponyboy by drowning him and so johnny steps in and stabs the soc and in a panic fearing they will be sent to prison they decide to run away.

I wont tell you the rest of it as i would like for you to watch it yourself.

I first saw this film when it was released in the 80's and it has been one of my favourites ever since.

This 2 disc collectors edition contains 22 minutes of extra footage that i think really adds to the film, and it was nice to see it as it was originally intended to be shot.

There are some great added extras, commentary's by the cast and an audio commentary by coppola himself.

Im not fussed on the new score though but we cant have it all. Thanks god Stevie Wonder's Stay Gold is still in there.

It is a powerful movie, about friendship, loyalty and family that should not be missed.

I will never ever forget that the opening lines and the closing lines in this movie are the same as the book, "when i stepped out into the bright sunlight, from the darkness of the movie house, there were only two things on my mind, Paul Newman and a ride home"..

Francis Ford Coppola Directed this film and it is truly a masterpiece !!

4.0 out of 5 stars It was all going so well....., 15 Feb 2013
I like many other reviewers was a huge fan of both the book and the original movie. This DVD is great, it has many extra features which are extremely informative. The footage that has been added to the movie is a real improvement and more in keeping with the book, it also puts the Curtis family firmly at the centre of the story and helps to better explain the dynamics between all of the characters. In the original movie, you couldn't help but wonder whether or not Rob Lowe had been edited out due to weak acting or perhaps his part did not add to the synergy of the movie - this version proves that this was not the case and he is invaluable to the realtionship between the three brothers. The movie is definitely truer to the book than the orginal and it is a far better movie.
Now we come to the negative part which has been reflected by many others on Amazon and I have to admit I was very dubious whether or not it really warranted all of the negative comments from people who have a tendancy to whinge, but, the music is actually lousy and distracted from the script and flow of the movie. Not all of the music was lousy though, some of it earlier in the film did add to the atmoshphere, setting and time i.e. set the scene. From 'the rumble' onwards though, the music was far too loud and did nothing but interfere and distract from what should have been a prelude to the most emotional scenes and ending. The only music required from the church setting onwards could have been Gloria and the closing music by Stevie Wonder, unfortunately it is one long carcophony of annoyance. Was Coppola trying to emulate Tarantino's use of music?
I can't mark this movie as low as others simply because of the musical intrusion, lets just say that a 5 star movie has lost a star because of it. Is it just me? No it isn't, all of my teenage daughters actually commented unprompted on the musical blitzkrieg and asked each other (rather loudly) across the room what the actors were saying. Shame, but please buy it as you are still in for a treat for 75% of the movie - from an re-editing and improvement perspective though, it is a tale of two halves.

3.0 out of 5 stars The new music aggghhhhhhh, 16 July 2012
The added scenes are great and make the film even better, but what the hell was the director thinking behind adding stupid music to every good scene in the film. The Original had a fantastic score, and good tense build up music before the rumble. I felt like chucking the dvd out the window. A bittersweet one this, great new scenes making a good film even better..........but the music is going to haunt me until the day i die....shocking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most underrated of all Coppola's movies., 28 April 2002
This movie is a clasic, with an all star cast " before" they hit major stardom. Stars such as Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio(Karate Kid) and cameos from stars such as Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe and Emilio Estevez this was always going to be a great movie. It is set in the mid twentieth century(1950's-1960's) and captures the great gap in class between the society that the two groups the greasers and the posh gang. It is a most touching movie with a very unexpecting twists and unforeseen circumstyances. This is a must see movie for everyone except it may not be suitable for younger children as it is a film for all and a cult classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the previous reviews, 17 Aug 2013
As stated by other buyers of this item the film itself is as fabulous as it was. BUT please please please tell me why they have put the dreadful soundtrack over what is a classic 80's film????

The young characters of C Thomas Howell and Ralph Macchio are still outstanding but it is quite hard to hear the script as the awful soundtrack is so loud you can hardly hear them speak. On the whole I am quite disappointed that you cannot buy the original film in its original format!

Having said that I will probably watch it another few times but maybe with the sound off!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little gem, 10 Sep 2003
Years ago I read the book [by S.E. Hinton] in English class and afterwards we were made to watch the film. I was blown away by the book and thought that this movie was an excellent tribute to that.
The first thing you'll probably notice about this film is the impressive cast of actors; Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, Matt Dillion, to name but a few, and all looking freshly faced and innocent. Every single actor in 'The Outsiders' is brilliant and kept true to their character, as presented to us in the novel, and they all truly make the movie what it is.
The general atmosphere and feel of the film really does make you feel as if you are back in the fifties, what with the rockin' soundtrack, authentic costume designs and landscape shots. This isn't a "happy-happy-joy-joy" film but instead an emotional rollercoaster, so be prepared - it's all about friendship, love, and social stereo typing and the trouble it can eventually cause.
An excellent film all in all. I HIGHLY recommend 'The Outsiders' to you if you're looking for a brilliant, and underrated, film which successfully captures S.E Hinton's vision.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Outsiders - Special Edition [Blu-ray], 19 Mar 2012
I hate this version of the film the new scenes are ok

but the new score makes this the worst new version of a film i have ever seen

What was he thinking

The rumble was one of my top 10 film screens ever with that dramatic music made it so tense it could have been a scene from a war film

now it has music in the background that would be more at home in a episode of the pink panther I had to turn it of before I put my foot through the tv this was one of the first films I loved and now i hate it

don't get me wrong the music is ok if you like that kind of thing but not here

if you love the first verson don't buy this its like some one has chucked a tin of paint over the mona lisa

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down, 11 Aug 2012
I absolutely adore this film - I've read and taught the book several times. Enjoyed the 'original' film as a young boy in the cinema, and revisited it several times as an adult. I was looking forward to this enhanced version. The new, added-on scenes are really worth it (I loved them), but but but, dear God (or should I say Mr Coppola?) what have you done in sound editing?!?! The new music score completely ruins the experience. It's not just the fact, that much of the background music now 'comments' on the narrative, but many times it's just achieves the opposite in terms of atmosphere. And, worst of all, it's just mixed WAY TOO LOUD! So sad. I just to always become very emotionally affected in the last ten minutes of this film, not so anymore. I actually found myself wathing the original version in the German version on the disc (I'm Danish), once I had seen the extra scenes. Sad also to watch the late Swayze commenting the new score, he's really struggling to not say something negative because Mr Coppola is in the room. What a shame and a damn waste. Only buy it for the first five minutes, otherwise buy the old version.

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree with everything!!, 16 Feb 2004
What can I say that the title does not say already?
I agree with everything already written about this film. I was never into the 'brat pack' when growing up but somehow managed to watch this film and be in awe of it.
It is a beautifully told story (by a 15/16 year old no less). A beautifully acted and directed film. And if I'd starred in it I would not care what had happened with the rest of my career as I'd made a fantastic and lasting piece of humantistic drama. Watch it. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 10 Dec 2012
My all time favouraite film and i couldnt find it anywhere untill now. It didnt dissapoint and took me back to my childhood. Just amazing!

Outsiders [DVD] [1983] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Outsiders [DVD] [1983] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] by Francis Ford Coppola (DVD - 1999)
Used & New from: £1.35