Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 October 2011
My friend had this when I was 15 (30 years ago) on LP. He loved it - I bought it too. One of the great LP covers, summing up its title if a such a delightful piece of artwork ever could.

Playing again now, but from this remastered CD and via big, excellent Sennheiser 'phones, the lucid and fluid keyboards of Chick Corea simmer and hover over a thick rope of chunky bass, whilst beads of funk fusion interweave. Yes, the opening track Medieval Overture does have a Dave Grusin sort of flavour at times but that is a compliment indeed. On the second, Sorceress, Stanley Clark, on bass, really gurgitates the pulse.

The title track has a Yes/King Crimson-y sort of arrival then with Corea's keyboards ducking and diving about on a bed of compulsive drumming from Lenny White, building to a real crescendo.

Majestic Dance is an all electric affair, written and led by the 21 y.o. classical-jazz guitarist Al De Meola. It's quite rocky, too, getting a little progressive with some Mike Oldfield-like percussion and keyboard embellishments half-way through.

The Magician continues these sounds and themes with added synths that give an ethereal glow and quite an operatic, sci-fi feel.

Lastly, Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant is a culmination of all that's gone before but expanded upon.

The sound separation on all this album is wide, but balanced and not forced and so can be fully enjoyed on the old I-pod, whilst still giving any top hi-fi a real test - and a chance to shine. Bass is both deep and nuanced, allowing it to be followed note-by-note and the top end is bright and clear but never sibilant.

This is a genuinly standout album that is also a true landmark and not of just in the jazz-funk-fusion genre that it so reigns supreme in.
on 3 April 2013
Return to Forever is were the Kings of Jazz Fusion, Romantic Warrior is one of the best Jazz Fusion album.
on 12 November 2014
I'd describe this as progressive jazz rock music but I don't really care what you call it all I know is I like it. I like it a lot. well recorded although I'm lead to believe its 70s music, it could have been recorded yesterday the quality is that good.
on 6 February 2016
Great album, great music
on 9 December 2015
Perfection!!!
on 4 April 2000
Totally spaced-out mix of 70s Jazz fusion nonsense. Awesome and well structured highs and lows featuring totally off-beat guitar and piano licks and runs throughout.
Beautiful composition shown throughout this set and with tracks as cool and off-beat as The Magician, don't hesitate my friends, you gotta listen in and appreciate the visions within.
Peace brothers & sisters... Gong tried and Return to Forever achieved.
on 3 May 2015
A Giant
on 16 February 2015
Awesome
on 23 January 2015
vg
on 16 January 2014
I bought this on the basis of the star musicians playing, If I came to it blind and without the cast knowledge, I am still not sure that I like it. I shall keep playing it though, it might grow on me.

Listen to it first if you can.