5.0 out of 5 stars This is moving stuff!
As a semi-professional musician myself I like to think I have a reasonable degree of musical understanding and appreciation and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Kissin is the best pianist by some considerable margin I have ever heard for the Romantic repertoire.
Published on 25 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from the best Chopin interpretation
Published on 7 Sept. 2011 by Mr. R. A. Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars This is moving stuff!, 25 July 2000
This review is from: Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 (Audio CD)
His power is the fortissimo passages is astounding whilst remaining musical at all times and the slow chorale-like section of the March Funebre from the 2nd sonata on this disc includes a truly beautiful extended section of controlled pianissimo which you simply can't be disappointed with.
11 out of 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 3 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 (Audio CD)
Finally there's a solo piano album in my collection that can match John McArthur's 'HIDDEN' (1999). It's Kissin's 'Chopin'. Haven't heard such a great piano solo album in years. 'Chopin' -released in 2000- was a revelation to me. This guy's playing takes your breath away. His playing is daring and adventurous, and because he has a perfect sense of structure as well, he never gets lost and keeps everything in perfect balance. And on top of this, his playing is deeply moving. I hear a lot of McArthur and Horowitz in Kissin's playing, but, much more important, I hear foremost a pianist with a distinct style of his own. He is distinct.

4.0 out of 5 stars miss the magic, 27 Jan. 2014
Stanley Crowe (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 (Audio CD)
Kissin is obviously an extremely capable pianist, usually marrying wonderful technique to golden tone and apt expressivity -- his Beethoven concertos (2 and 5) with Levine c. 1997 are great performances in exceptional sound. With the Chopin Preludes here, the technique is still solid, but there isn't a lot of magic in the performances. They sound good, maybe a little close-up, but not much light and shade or really enlivening rubato. I can't fault them, really, but I'm not enchanted. I'm going to try Argerich and Ashkenazy to get a better sense of what else might be possible with them. I agree with Santa Fe Listener (on American amazon.com) that the sonata goes better -- the piece has opportunities for scintillation that maybe the Preludes don't have, and the long third movement finds Kissin responsive to the undertone of tragedy and the sense of a need for consolation. I'm not sorry to have the disc (the sound, just as sound, is impressive) but I remain more impressed than moved by it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far from the best Chopin interpretation, 7 Sept. 2011
Mr. R. A. Farrell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 (Audio CD)
I was quite excited to give this a listen as I consider Kissin's Liszt interpretations to be well among my favourites, but was unfortunately disappointed. Kissin is undoubtedly an incredibly gifted pianist and his talent brings me a great deal of pleasure in plenty of his other recordings but this work sounds to me like it was a chore for him to play. The playing is as technically proficient as you would expect from Kissin but he seems unable to make the music sing. Perhaps I'm just too accustomed to a particular style of interpretation (Argerich's is probably my favourite) for this to appeal to me, but if you are looking for the perfect balance of raw passion and delicacy that I think Chopin needs in order to come alive, then I suggest you look elsewhere as this recording seems to lack much of either, never mind finding the perfect balance of the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting pianism., 20 Jan. 2005
John Austin "austinjr@bigpond.net.au" (Kangaroo Ground, Australia) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 (Audio CD)
This third Kissen Chopin recital to be issued certainly provides some exciting pianism. It is hard to imagine how ten fingers can be coordinated to produce the rippling effects in Prelude 3, the whirlwinds in Prelude 8, the headlong galloping in Prelude 16, and the terrifying swirl of sound in the Sonatas's finale. It is also hard to imagine how much one would need to pay in order to sit in such close proximity to the piano as it is recorded here. Never have I heard the three repeated notes at the bottom end of the keyboard sound as powerful as they do at the close of Prelude 24.
Chopin offers much more than opportunities for technical display, however, and few of these additional components are evident here. The tears below the surface of Prelude 4 are disregarded, the cantilena of Prelude 6 is more mechanical than vocal, and the Sonata's Scherzo is rushed rather than refined. Most successful is the Sonata's "Funeral March" - something I thought I never wanted to hear again. Perhaps the enforced slow tempo allows Chopin's voice to come through.
The engineers have captured the tension and excitement of Kissen's performances, but I am not sure that he has captured the essential refinement and eminently patrician qualities that typify Chopin's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oasis, 25 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 (Audio CD)
As a visitor to the London Hi-Fi Show, I was confronted by the usual blend of 'sensational' music designed to impress but in reality proving brash and tiresome! However, one room offered the near miracle of quality of equipment partnered by superb music - the incredibly intense and engaging style was instantly recognisable as that of Evgeny Kissin who had captivated us all on the first night of the Proms. I'm neither a musician nor a recording engineer, but this one gets full marks for style and substance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano playing at its best, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 (Audio CD)
A good crisp performance of pieces that I wanted to add to my library. Good acoustics. However who am I to judge such a performer? Grade 8 still remains a goal!!

Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2
Chopin: Preludes/Piano Sonata No.2 by Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin (Audio CD - 2000)