5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Clapton has slowed down.
Published on 15 Nov 2000 by Antonio Paolo Russo

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not chronic
This collection of Clapton tunes if from his recent period and although it features a few classics they are 'newer' versions. All very good, particularly if you are a fan. Note that across the tracklist this is a slow album. More for smootchin' rather than joggin'.

Still Clapton's talent shines through.
Published on 25 Sep 2009 by Duncan McDonald

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric Clapton has slowed down., 15 Nov 2000
Antonio Paolo Russo (Rotterdam Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
Once a master of blues guitar rock, in the last twenty years Eric Clapton has turned his talents to pop-rock. Chronicles is the definitive introduction to pop-rock Clapton. It is an excellent introduction to Clapton's recent music. The guitar playing is all over the album and is good but not the dazzling stuff of his early years that became the stuff of legend. Highlights of this CD include the beautiful, acoustically based Tears in Heaven, the live, acoustic reworking of Layla and the live version of Wonderful Tonight. Those listeners who want to know why Clapton is regarded as a guitar legend and would like to hear his work before he became Chris De Burgh's older brother of this CD, should buy Derek and the Dominoes' Layla.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!, 5 July 2000
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
Five stars isn't enough. We have a massive collection of cd's of many various artists. This is the best ever. EVERY track is superb. You don't have to be a staunch Eric Clapton fan to appreciate the quality, we have had many customers to our restaurant hear it as background music and ask what it is & where to buy etc. River of tears & My fathers eyes are superb tracks. Truly a genious at work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clapton at his best, 4 Nov 1999
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
This CD brings the best of Eric Clapton into a single easy-listening CD. There are no tracks to skip, every one is worth listening to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent anthology of Erics' more recent work., 11 Dec 1999
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
None of Claptons' early,searing work that established him as the monumental artist that he is but nevertheless a thoughtful compilation of Eric maturing in style and content.As always what comes across in this compilation is the mans' emotions and inner feelings about himself and his experiences.The guitar playing is superlative without his early flashiness.I would certainly not regard 'Chronicles' as a best of Eric Clapton but it still stands as a very good selection.Blues content is generally lacking but the recent Polydor release of 'Blues' could be regarded as a companion volume by the Clapton enthusiast.All in all a fine work that encapsulates the more laid-back but nevertheless finely tuned Eric of today.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY FOR THE SECRET BONUS TRACKS, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
Are you a Clapton fan? do you keep buying stuff that you already own in a new expanded format with extra tracks or a bonus DVD? Did they play 'wonderful tonight' at your wedding? Did you get aroused by the 'EC was here' and Blind Faith covers? Of course you did.

Have you tried to persuade your eldest lad to form a band that plays 'Layla' and 'Bell Bottom Blues'? Do you play 'Cocaine' on headphones while the wife makes your tea? Did you buy Marley's 'Legend' about 5 years after everyone else did because you believed that the version of 'I Shot the Sheriff' was better on 461 Ocean Boulevard? Do you and the wife settle down and play 'Unplugged' over a glass of wine after she's done your ironing? Did Eric help you 'get into' JJ Cale and BB King? do you record the Jules Holland show on the BBC?

Eric is a thief whose entire career has consisted of stealing from better musicians. some of the latter have been black or brown skinned. in the middle of a gig in Wolverhampton in August 1976. This is what he had to say.

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands.. W*gs I mean, I'm looking at you. Where are you? I'm sorry but some f##cking w*g...Arab grabbed my wife's bum, you know? Surely got to be said, yeah this is what all the f##king foreigners and w*gs over here are like, just disgusting, that's just the truth, yeah. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. You f##king (indecipherable). I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the w*gs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white.
I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. F##king w*gs, man. f**king Saudis taking over London. B@stard w*gs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black w*gs and co*ns and Arabs and fuc*ing Jamaicans and fuc*ing (indecipherable) don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black w*gs and c**ns living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don't want f*cking wo*s living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for f*ck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he's a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he's our man, he's on our side, he'll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he's on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the w*gs out! Keep Britain white!”

I suggest that you get all your product by Mr Clapton CBE and post it back to his current label

Mr Eric Cllapton CBE
c/o Surfdog Inc / Dave Kaplan Management
1126 South Coast Highway 101
Encinitas, CA 92024, USA
Phone: (760) 944-8000
Fax: (760) 944-7808

Clapton also supports foxhunting.- but then so do you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 15 Nov 1999
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
This is wonderful music from one of the greatest musicians of the era. He has the ability to take you wherever he wants with his great lyrics and easy-going style. "Wonderful Tonight" is wonderful all the time, and you really feel as though you are spending the evening with Mr Clapton and his wife. Then suddenly your romantic tears are transformed to sadness when you feel the deep loss in his voice when he sings about his son in "Tears in Heaven". The great singalong tune of the album is definitely the fun "Layla".

4.0 out of 5 stars The track-listing speaks for itself, surely., 7 Jun 2000
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
Clapton appears to prostitute himself for the benefit of the fans of today's pop music on the pretty awful track I Get Lost, but apart from that song this is a CD of high quality. The live versions of Layla and Wonderful Tonight are particularly good. I notice that he sings a track written by Diane Warren, she who penned such recent romantic hits as Unbreak My Heart sung by Toni Braxton and Aerosmith's I Don't Want to Miss a Thing. All in all, a very good evaluation of Mr. Clapton's career in the music business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clapton at his best. A great slice of his history including Cream, 3 April 2013
Alan Carmichael (Para Vista, South Australia Australia) - See all my reviews
Clapton at his best
No backtracking covers a good slice of Claptons tracks. The period of 1967 with cream is included which was one of his best creative periods

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not chronic, 25 Sep 2009
Duncan McDonald "Dunk" (Dundee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)

Still Clapton's talent shines through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album from a master., 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton (Audio CD)
This is a great album. The recording reproduction is very good for those that are into quality hi fi. Some of the criticism is harsh in other reviews and after all music is subjective and for my money I really like ever track and put this album amongst my many favourates.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton
Clapton Chronicles: The Best Of Eric Clapton by Eric Clapton (Audio CD - 1999)