Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 April 2002
"Hormonally yours" is one of the most interesting albums I know showing the perfect harmony between
two female voices. Fahey and Detroit sing about
good and evil- themes ("Stay"), isolation ("Hello"), intrigues ("I don't care", "My 16th
apology", "Goodbye cruel world"), mysterious and superstitious things ("The trouble with Andre",
"Moonchild", "Catwoman", "Black Sky") and complicated love("Are we in love yet?","Emotional thing", "Let me entertain you"). All songs are
brilliant and individual. It's more a melancholic
and dark mood that characterizes the sounds you
hear on this album but very beautiful. After
all the years it's one of my favourites.
I think, the best song is "Hello" because it
represents the individualization, isolation and
loneliness of this time and says that people should listen to each other again. It's a hypnotizing sadness that lays in this beautiful
song. SO REUNITE THE SISTERS!!!
on 7 October 2000
Marcella Detroit's voice works perfectly with Siobhan Fahey's and I think it's a shame that they no longer sing together. Every song on this album is interesting and different - I bought this for 'stay' but I was not disappointed with the rest of the tracks. 'The trouble with Andre'is another of favourite of mine, along with Hello(turn your radio on) and Black Sky. Hormonally yours is very different from their first album 'sacred heart' but I think if you liked the first then you'll probably enjoy this - it's more modern, but doesn't fall into the trap of being just another boring pop record.Brilliant.
on 14 October 2004
To think that Shakespears Sister could produce an absolute classic is perhaps not something I would have thought when Siobhan Fahey was in Bananarama. But she has, and this really is an extraordinary cd.
It's packed with hits (Goodbye cruel world, I don't care, My 16th apology, Hello (turn your radio on) and of course the massive No 1 Stay).
Everyone knows 'Stay' which was No1 in the Uk for 8 weeks, but it's important to realise that this is NOT indicative of the rest of the album. The rest is much more fast paced; excellent pop trax, but with a T-rex edge (never more evident than in Catwoman). All the trax have a wicked lyric, and the mix of Siobhans low and croaky vocal, mixed with Marcella's falsetto backing vocal works very well. (Marcella only leads on Stay).
This really is an great album.
If you like this, look out for the 3rd cd (called #3) which is currently only available on Siobhans website - it's without Marcella but rocks beyond belief.
on 1 June 2008
I could go on at length about what a revelation this cd was in 1992 and how remarkable it was that something so different managed to top the charts. I could perhaps go on equally about how the album helped me along a path which changed my life forever. I could perhaps speak of how the music only represents half of the whole astonishing entity that Shakespears sister were in 92 with their live show being completely spectacular.

But I'm not going to. I really just wish to point out that there are two different versions of this cd. Early releases have different mixes of Goodbye Cruel World, Stay and I Don't Care. It was only after the two were slightly tweaked as single releases that they were changed on the album. My advice is to try to get hold of an early release to enjoy a much a sharper Goodbye Cruel World, a calmer I Don't Care and a more sparse Stay, then get hold of the singles. After all you'll get yourself some highly attractive single covers in with the bargain that way.

Whichever version you happen to have, you've got an album likely to live forever.
on 19 April 2012
I revisited "Hormonally Yours" after watching a short interview with Siobhan Fahey about her time in Bananarama in a bbc documentary about girl bands . The girls in that group always looked hot , cool and frankly , a bit bored. I never took the time though to actually spot Fahey in their old videos , and it was intriguing to me when i did , how a woman as smoking hot as Fahey would adopt a totally different stage persona with joker-like gothic make-up for her next project , Shaekspears Sister . In combination with a set of much more sophisticated songs , it was all indication of a darker , more challenging side of hers .

Along with american singer-songwritter Marcella Detroit , they created a record which is easily a career highlight for both . This is a witty , sly music release whose success is mainly the result of the great chemistry between two opposite people , visually , stylistically and , as the messy break up a year later proved , personality-wise as well . " Stay " is a pop pray for love , " I Don't Care " and " Goodbye Cruel World " are cunning and smart , " An Emotional Thing " an elegant celebration of femininity with lyrics like " I don't have to tell ya where im coming from / If i leave my catsuit on .." but best of all though is " Hello ( turn your radio own ) " , a very touching ballad indeed . Add to all that a series of very theatrical , original video-clips and what u get is one of the most essential pop moments of the 90's .
on 7 April 2005
I bought this album after hearing it at a friend's house. Since we tend to have the same taste in music, I bought it, and I saw that it was good.
This album seems to go through stages. The first three of four tracks seem to be very upbeat and synthetic, but with depressing lyrics in the most part. These include 'Goodbye Cruel World', 'I Don't Care', 'My 16th Apology', and 'Are We In Love Yet?'. The best of these, to me, is 'Goodbye Cruel World'. Very good.
Then we seem to slip into darker, more earthy and depressing tones from tracks five through nine. The best of these more depressing tracks are 'Emotional Thing', and the incredible 'The Trouble With Andre', which blew me away when I first heard it. It's VERY good.
We get back more into the pop-rock section at the end of this album, with 'Catwoman', 'Let Me Entertain You' (now you know where Robbie got the title from), and 'Hello (Turn Your Radio On)'. While I think this is a slightly strange way of laying an album out, I can't fault a single song.
So in conclusion:
Goodbye Cruel World - 8/10
I Don't Care - 7.5/10
My 16th Apology - 7/10
Are We In Love Yet? - 7.5/10
Emotional Thing - 9.5/10
Stay - 9/10
Black Sky - 8/10
The Trouble With Andre - 10/10!
Moonchild - 9/10
Catwoman - 7.5/10
Let Me Entertain You - 6.5/10
Hello (T.Y.R.O) - 8/10
Very good album, and since it was released during the 90's, it won't be expensive to acquite. Buy it, love it. Or don't. Up to you.
on 21 March 2014
This is a truly great album, and it's all done by women! Yay!! It's one of those times when a spectacularly good album comes along and shows the pop world that women can be more than just pretty faces and bland, inoffensive little songs (take note, Cheryl Cole!). This music is dark, haunting, exotic, jangling, original, funky, startling, and has bags of attitude.

Best songs are: I Don't Care, Stay, The Trouble With Andre, Goodbye Cruel World. But, then, there's really not one bad track on this album - certainly none that could be regarded as 'filers'. The contrast between Detroit's fantastically high voice and Fahey's flatter, more brooding tone is expertly highlighted. This album is a natural predecessor to Siobhan Donaghy's brilliant 'Ghosts' album, and also a worthy successor to Marc Almond's 'Mother Fist'.
66 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2011
I have two admissions to make. The first is that I had forgotten all about 'Stay' until I heard it on the X Factor, a genius choice on the part of Ms Cole. The second is that, if I had been asked to hazard a guess at the release date of Hormonally yours, it would have been far earlier than 1992. Although 'Stay' remains the standout track, almost perfectly constructed and standing the test of time, I surprised myself by being able to sing along quite happily to most of the tracks (ignoring all high notes, and by theat I mean phenominally high notes), the lyrics all being tucked away in the recesses of my mind, making me wonder if this wasn't in fact an important album for me at the time, after all. It feels very pop now, not necessarily a bad thing, although at the time it was considered to be the serious departure for the pretty one from Bananarama, who paired up with Marcella Detroit (wonderful name!), responsible for the higher octaves. You may prefer to download 'Stay' and forego the remainder, but I say it is no bad thing to own the thing, if only for the picture of Siobhan Fahey in her oversized jumper with 'SEX' written on the front.
VINE VOICEon 27 December 2007
'Shakespear's Sister' had to be the best act to come out of 1992 - though they had been around for some years.

The legendary single 'Stay' went to number one for what seemed like forever - certainly for most of the spring of that year. This album is packed with hits and some real 'classy' songs - 'Moonchild' being among the very best of the album material. Never have two voices complemented each other like those of these two ladies, and it was such a great disappointment that this great band should have split so soon, and at a time when they could have gone on to even greater achievements... At a time when pop music was in great decline - this was a particularly cruel blow...

The video that accompanied 'Stay' has to be one of the very last of the great 'traditional' videos to have accompanied pop songs of all time. When we are likely to see the video compilation 'Hormonally Yours' re-issued on DVD is anybody's guess - but it's long overdue... So please! Record company; if you are reading this - pleeeze make it sooon!

This now is real classic vintage stuff!
on 30 January 2012
I bought this album as a cassette 20 years ago and I still love it. I've been unable to listen to the old cassette for a long time, so I decided to look for it on CD, because it is unavailable on iTunes (only Shakespears Sister's greatest hits is available there.) Amazon to the rescue!
The CD arrived in perfect condition, and well within the listed time limit.