Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 September 2004
I first became aware of Filippa Giordano on The Classical Album 2001 her interpretation of 'Vissi d'arte' from Tosca was, as my title says, 'hauntingly beautiful' and very different from other versions I had heard. Until I heard Filippa singing 'O mia bambino caro' I had thought Lesley Garrett's version the most beautiful.
I am sure opera buffs will disagree but I think Filippa stamps her own style on these arias and the result is magical. Her voice captivates and holds you. The whole album compels you to sit and listen.
I will definitely be looking out for more of her work.
on 21 May 2001
One can almost feel her voice. This recording shows off the wonderful expressiveness of her voice which in turn reflects the emotions of the music. I prefer the operatic pieces to the latter more modern theatrical pieces, but it is an excellent CD for those new into opera who like to get the emotions stirred. She has a wonderful voice and will get you 'were you live'! Play it loud as you drive down the motorway [and don't forget the tissues].
on 6 July 2000
This CD is such excellence, it is quite difficult to even choose favourite tracks from it. It is all infinitely delicious to listen to. There are certain tracks however, that seem to stick in the mind for many hours after listening to them. Her sweet, unusual voice with its amazing vocal flexibility, I cannot stop hearing afterwards! While some of the tracks are from operas - casta diva, from norma, for instance, this is not an entirely opera CD. There are quite light tracks on there - namely - lost boys calling, maria by the sea are two examples which seem to be ever so slightly reminiscent of Celine Dion. Filippa has style, and I eagerly await another CD from her. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and am always in the mood to listen to her. Wonderful.
on 16 November 2005
Filippa has the most haunting voice I have heard in a long while. Having listened to the sample tracks on-line I took the chance and ordered her album 'Filippa'. It is fantastic and now I am totally hooked on her awesome voice.
Don't take my word for it, listen to the sample tracks yourself.... enjoy!
on 11 October 2000
Heard Philippa in TV from BBC Prime (Parkinson). Asked several places, no one knew her, found her homepage and finaly a very small shop with one copy, so I think I'm the only one in Denmark that ownes a CD with Filippa - lucky me. Her voice is absolutly wonderfull, the kind of voice that takes your breath away.
on 2 June 2000
Filippa has the most amazing and unusual voice for opera. Her aria from Norma (Tracks 1 and 12) are stunning, she makes the aria sound like beautiful, elegant sobbing. Heart-wrenching.
on 16 May 2001
This CD is excellent, Filippa has such emotion in her voice. I first heard her when she was on the Brits Classical Awards and although I am not particularly a classical fan, her interpretation was refreshingly new and stunned me into wanting to hear her again. Regarding The 'Crossover' between conteporary music and Opera, you can't see the join. Filippa is a wonderful singer and I hope she never stops for our sakes.
on 14 January 2001
To compare Filippa Giordano's treatment of the several operatic arias on this CD with their original, theatre-performed, versions is to miss the point. It's better to listen to the non-operatic material first, THEN listen to Filippa's versions of the arias: the confidently-emotional and original style in which she delivers them then makes a lot more sense. Whoever spotted her, and realised that she would come across so captivatingly, deserves praise - and the arrangements have a meticulous attention to musical detail which sets off Filippa's intimate performing style. She sings 'close-up and personal', as though telling you, her sole listener, of things which really matter to her, and as though it's the first time she's thought of the song's subject. Beautifully-performed, and beautifully-produced, this CD can be listened to again and again without any sense of 'ennuie'. Lovely!
on 25 November 2000
move over sarah, emma & izzy...i love the whole cd, especially "you are the one" & of course "casta diva" (extended version...just kick it up near the end of the song!)...i won't say filippa has a better voice than the above mentioned but do feel she kicks it more and gives more power...simply puts you at awe...i'm not a listener of JUST classical so filippa wks (why they call it classical crossover)...and so, the more poppish tunes near the end of the cd are great also...i think it's nice break from the high vocals for her to do a few toned down... sidenote:remember...some people can only handle classical music ONLY when mixed w/ a touch of pop...:)
on 24 March 2001
Fillipa Giordano has an exellent voice which puts over the emotions of the pieces well in an up to date style which I am certain will upset the opera snobs. The choise of pieces is also refreashing and comibines new with old well.I can recommend it to all.