on 23 February 2007
Philippe Hirschhorn is little known outside the music-world, but within it, is regarded as one of the greatest violinists that ever lived, and this - one of only a few recordings - is testament to his genius. Dying tragically in 1996 from a brain tumour (at only 50), this recording is a jewel to those, like myself, who rate this man alongside the other Greats such as Oistrakh, Milstein, Stern, Heifetz, Menuhin etc... Apparently plagued by performance nerves, he gave few recitals and made even fewer recordings, and this one is simply exceptional. I discovered him completely by accident at age 17, on a cassette recorded by my grandfather, but didn't know who was playing! And it wasn't until 5 years ago that I played the cassette to friend who was able to recognise who the violinist was that had made such an impression on me.

Sufficed to say his technique is phenomenal, and his sound utterly unique. With a completely innate and compelling musicality, you know when you're listening that you're hearing something truly special. It's impossible not sit up and be gripped by it - this is a purchase you won't regret!
on 5 December 2014
Philippe Hirshhorn is owner & ruler of unique and unbeaten charisma