The Copland Collection: Orchestral & Ballet Works, 1936-1948
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£110.31+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Three cds of what are mostly the more well-known and popular Copland pieces, beautiful, rich recordings from the 1960s and 70s, although all of them were written in the 30s and 40s. They seem to embody a specifically East cost, liberal American optimism, a sense that with all this energy surely the country could only go on to bigger and better things. And yet they also contain another key element often found in stories of America's birth, an aching sense of something lost.

There is a variety to the works here - orchestral and ballet works as well as selections from his film scores. You get a lot here - Copland conducting, Benny Goodman playing on the `Concerto for Clarinet'. And of course my own particular favourite, `Lincoln Portrait' with Henry Fonda, John Ford's young Mr Lincoln in 1939. Worth the cost of the collection alone. And sad to think that a performance of this most optimistic and beautiful American work was withdrawn from President Eisenhower's inaugural concert because of worries over Copland's political beliefs.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 28 August 2013
This is the version of Lincoln Portrait I first heard 40 years ago. I loved it then for the way it stirred the emotions, both the words and music and I far prefer Fonda's reading than any others, even though some are clearer and have greater gravitas. He is more natural than others. A fault? His voice is perhaps a little quiet and to the background.
The rest is a veritable feast of Copeland's better known works. My preference is for the LSO recordings but when you get Copeland, Fonda and Benny Goodman on recordings this good, this 3 disc set is an absolute must-buy, especially at the £15 I paid.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again