5.0 out of 5 stars MEMORIES YOU DO NOT WANT TO FORGET
THIS IS PART TWO OF A REALLY LOVELY COLLECTION OF SONGS FROM DAYS GONE BY THAT TRANSPORTS YOU BACK IN TIME . PUT THE HEAD PHONES ON AND RELAX AND SING ALONG ( SHUT THE WINDOWS OR THE NEIGHBOURS MIGHT NOT APRECIATE IT )
Published on 18 Sep 2011 by J. Hemming

3.0 out of 5 stars Ah, you're drunk, you're drunk you silly old fool
Published 10 months ago by Hermes Love

3.0 out of 5 stars Ah, you're drunk, you're drunk you silly old fool, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: All Time Greatest Love Songs of the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's, Vol. II (Audio CD)
I'm not usually a fan of soppy romantic songs (unless you can count 'The Birdie Song' as being in any way romantic? No? Oh well, that must just be me then), but it is my birthday this week and I can predict already, based on last year's experiences, just how the day is going to end. There I'll be, drunk and sitting in a pile of my own cake crumbs... surrounded by cards, balloons and the derelict remains of party guests who are all even drunker than I am. And I'll begin to dwell on the fact that I have let yet another year effortlessly slip through my fingers without really achieving anything of any great value. And something about that lethal combination of regret, nostalgia, alcohol and nausea will invariably lead me towards thoughts of my ex-wife.

Before long, I'll have this double disc of soppy romantic songs playing softly in the background as I sit there sobbing into my plastic glass of Blue Nun. What is, when I've got all my wits about me, a fairly harmless (I might almost say largely nondescript) collection of music takes on a whole new life of its own under those conditions. Actually, there doesn't appear to be a track list written anywhere around here to prove that point; allow me...

CD1

15. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
16. If You Know What I Mean - Neil Diamond
17. Glory Of Love - Peter Cetera
18. Tonight - George Michael

There are some real tear-jerkers there, particularly when you're pie-eyed. I don't think I'll be able to listen to Chris de Burgh singing 'Lady In Red', because it is just too painful. Mind you, it's nothing whatsoever to do with my ex-wife, I just really can't stand that song. 'Glory Of Love' will be hard to listen to, for somewhat different reasons - if I even get that far. I didn't last year. I only got as far as Elton John's 'The One' last year.

Warbling that song rather morosely to yourself in a room full of drunks is one thing... but dialling your ex-wife's number, being egged on to do so by that half-bottle of Blue Nun you've just downed in one go, and then crooning Bernie Taupin's lyrics down the phone to her at two o'clock in the morning is a recipe for disaster if ever there was one. Although I still say 'When stars collide like you and I, no shadows block the sun' is a beautiful line; I don't know how she ever interpreted it to mean I was calling her fat. I didn't do myself any further favours by giving her a little bit of 'Always A Woman' either.

By the time she'd hung up on me I was sober, temporarily deaf in one ear and wondering what the hell had just happened to me. I can only conclude that this double disc has the power to tap into all sorts of powerful emotions - if you're halfway to being as drunk as a skunk, that is. As I'm sure I will be by the end of this Friday...

5.0 out of 5 stars MEMORIES YOU DO NOT WANT TO FORGET, 18 Sep 2011
J. Hemming "puppywalker" (birmingham uk) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 13 Feb 2013
Gave much pleasure to me as background music, other friends have ordered it when listening to it when invited to the house

5.0 out of 5 stars All time Greatest Love Songs, 8 Dec 2012
Excellent CD Great Love songs.Very very nostalgic taking you back in time some songs I'd forgotten until I heard them again. I'm very pleased Thank You.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love songs, 30 May 2014
This is a nice CD ,however there are a few songs I'm not so keen on ,but for the price it's nice to listen too

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Love Songs, 19 Mar 2014
A lovely CD covering four decades of love songs music. I enjoyed listening to all of these tracks. Great delivery time.

1.0 out of 5 stars lovesongs cd, 10 Dec 2012
the cd kept sticking while playing it in the car, but didnt complain because it was only 26p and used