5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly excellent
When looking for good reading of Brahms's complete Hungarian Dances, I tried also this recording - and it became my final choice. Very fine and polished, but still enough "dancing" performance, with balanced performances of all dances (there is no one, which could semm worse preformed than others) and very good recording quality, that's why this bargain-priced disc beats...
Published on 26 Dec 2004 by J. Vich

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 29 July 2008 by Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 29 July 2008
Knight "Maverick2008" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brahms - Hungarian Dances (Audio CD)
I purchased this based on my experience of Brahms performed on Gypsy Campfire by 101 Strings Orchestra and I found it flat and dull. The 101 strings version is far more lively and has greater feeling. The reviews here also swayed my decision and once again I was disapointed. Obviously classical music is defined by the performer more than anything, as indeed with any other music I guess. If possible try before you buy.

That said it's still a pleasant album.

3.0 out of 5 stars A passable rendering., 19 May 2009
Nathan Fisher (The UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brahms - Hungarian Dances (Audio CD)
Before I became properly interested in classical music, I used to wonder why there were different versions and performances available to buy. Surely, I mused, they all sound exactly the same? When an orchestra plays Beethoven, Bach or Brahms it is not as if they're doing a cover version, they're just following what's written on the score and not deviating at all surely?

Of course, now I recognise how and why this isn't true at all, and feel a bit of a fool for my youthful ignorance. Everyone has their favourite performances of different works. This, sadly, is not my favourite Hungarian Dances.

However, I'm pretty much stuck with it. Before purchasing this CD, I had MP3 files of all the dances, and was in love with them, particularly the sixth, which had nuances which became addictive, and were not present on this Naxos version or indeed any other version I've yet to hear. I have no idea as to which performance my MP3 files pertained and am now without them.

The recordings themselves are certainly okay, but I know for a fact that there are better versions out there. Alas, I may never hear them again. Acoustically fine, artistically adequate but lacking va-va-voom. Perhaps try a different recording.

Brahms - Hungarian Dances
Brahms - Hungarian Dances by Johannes Brahms (Audio CD - 1993)