Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 May 2011
This is a terrific collection of Tchaikovsky 'lollipops', performed with real engagement and passion by the Royal Philarmonic under the baton of Adrian Leaper. There is no sense of routine playing here, rather the reverse as the brass glitters with weight and menace in Marche Slave and 1812, while the woodwind contribute some sensuous, delicate work in Romeo & Juliet and Capriccio Italien. All four pieces feature top-quality performances, allied to a clear and weighty recording, which allows the punch of these performances to achieve full impact. Exciting performances and a splendid bargain. The Penguin Guide gives this a **** rating, and calls it 'brilliantly spectacular'. Don't hesitate.
on 27 February 2014
Love it! I love the depth of emotion classical music can evoke. You either love or hate classical music, one thing I cannot deny is the talent and effort put into creating it. When played by a talented orchestra it is awesome. I bet there's a part of classical music that inspires many musicians of the more modern genres.
My view is that everyone could benefit from listening to some classical music even if it isn't Tchaikovsky!
My view is also that everyone could benefit from listening to several different genres of music actually, bet they'd find something they liked in each genre, even if it is just a rift.
It's quit awkward writing a review for music in brief as it is such a personal thing, I do enjoy listening to this at volume though, so I try to ensure my neighbours are not in! Mind you, When they were in and I played it, I had no complaints.
I bought this primarily for Romeo and Juliet, as it had excellent reviews on certain classical music sites, the other tracks were an added bonus for me.
Excellent performances, from the romantic to the warlike and excellent recordings throughout, they are all digital, DDD, as is the norm for NAXOS.
To give a little more sound detail, expect a huge dynamic range, heavy rich bass, detailed strings, clear woodwind and rasping brass when it should be, the percussion is not missing either, did I leave something out, yes the bells, I sound like quasimodo, an excellent demo CD for a decent sound system
Currently available used for next to nothing, and very cheap even if new, an absolute bargain, thoroughly recommended.
on 22 January 2016
Good recording as are most nexos discs