This is a collection of "Lamentations", ie settings of verses from the Old Testament "Lamentations of Jeremiah". There are works by White, Tallis, Palestrina, Lassus and de Britto. I guess you can get some of this elsewhere but maybe not all together?

Anyway it's lovely music, well sung and directed with an excellent recording (Chapel of New College, Oxford). Well worth the small investment to explore this repertoire.
on 3 February 2001
I am into a variety of different musics, including Trance, big beat, heavy rock, you name it really. Basically I like any music that creates a resonance within the listener, that can move you from ordinary conciousness. This CD is hardly mainstream, being a collection of polyphonic church songs, but I never regretted buying it. The composition is often moving in a way not found in modern music. the pick of the bunch is Robert Whyte's Lamentations.. its Elizabethan chord/anti chord moments can be breathtaking. Reccomended for a grey sunday afternoon alone!
on 5 April 2003
Jeremy Summerly and his Oxford Camerata do sublime justice to these mournful pieces of early music. Beautiful stuff, though unlikely to have anyone cutting the rug. The rest of Mr Summerly's work on Naxos is equally moving and a splendid bargain for the price. Those who become addicted to this sound (and it is a danger. shouldn't Naxos have mental health warnings on their discs?) will find a lot to enjoy in Naxos' "Early Music" series.
on 28 December 2007
Possibly the most soothing and de-stressing music you will ever listen to. It was released years ago (1993) and I bought a copy on spec just to see what it was like. I liked what I heard and it has been one of my most frequently played CDs since - great for relaxing on a cold winter night by a roaring fire with a nice bottle of red wine. I have just ordered a replacement copy as my original CD is played out and has died of old age! (Remember when they used to say CDs would last forever?)
on 26 April 2015
was it so diffucult to put an jota of textual reference for these pieces, AT LEAST??? Try to understand what is sung in the sixth track! Anyone can help me? Thank you very much. Bruno
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2004
Wonderfully soothing choral music, and very reasonably priced.