5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark album, 23 Feb 2003
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
Make no mistake this, the first Black Dog album is one of the most important electronic albums of all time.
Bearing in mind that it was released in 1993 when Rave was still in the ascendancy, the sheer musicality of this album is all the more incredible. This is music full of melody and depth, it also has a quirky edge that makes most other electronica sound cold and clinical.
This is the album that defined the 'intelligent' techno sound of the early nineties along with the early relases from Autechre, B12 and Aphex Twin, who's 'Selected Ambient Works Vol 1' is the only album that can compare with this work of genius. ANYONE, with an interest in electronic music should own this album. I also suggest getting hold of the other 2 Black Dog albums on Warp and the 3 Plaid albums too. Can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark electronica/IDM album, 18 Jan 2004
Jay M "jay_mc" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
Probably one of the best albums ever released in the genre of electronica/IDM. What Black Dog did with 'Bytes' was to revolutionise how we saw electronic music, they set new standards which have rarely been reached by other artists. In fact, Black Dog never matched what they did with 'Bytes', though they did come quite close with 'Spanners'.
This is electronic music at its best. Ambient at times, always progressive and innovative. Black Dog showed techno didn't need to be aimed at the dancefloor. The drum programming on this album was also innovative for its time, few other artists having ventured to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Beauty, 19 Sep 2007
Gavski (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
As other reviewers have stated on here Bytes is a thing of utter beauty - a seminal, multi layered record essential for any electronic dance music fan and sounds as relevant today as it did then. I've been playing this album consistently since 1992 and have never grown tired of it, and I never will.

Like Artificial Intelligence also on Warp Records, this album made me change the way I thought about electronic music and shoved me out the door to buy a drum machine. Thank you Bytes and thank you Black Dog for the pleasure you have brought me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough superlatives to describe how good this is., 7 Jun 2011
Stephen Degnan (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
Little, in a sense, I can add to other's already well thought out comments.

Considerably far ahead of it's time ... was part of the initial golden crop of warp releases.

Anyone with an interest in electronic music, rhythms, melody, arrangement or jazz should really give this several plays. Peerless the year of release, everyone I played this to (just about) bought a copy shortly after. I had to ship one to a friend in the States.

5.0 out of 5 stars another gushing review, 22 May 2009
Hi,
I'll keep this short - my old copy suddenly had a scratch on it and for a moment I was like oh my god what if I can't get another one?! But thankfully I did and you know it's true that you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

I've been listening to Bytes for many years - not as many as the veterans here but I know my electronica now and this is head and shoulders above a lot of the similarly-minded ambient techno out there. I'm not slating Plaid or Autechre or Speedy J, they all totally rock, but this and Spanners are masterclasses in what can be achieved through the medium of music. Electronica always opens up the mind to strange and exciting possibilities - for me anyway - and Bytes just proves there's so much you can inject into an audio message. Egyptology, Futurism and cyberspace, proto-blogs and physical cosmology, plus it's wicked danceable too. Think of all that comes on Prince's Sign o the Times and how packed an album that is with all the social commentry and sex and funk, then just switch topics and this becomes a statement on the future of how we listen to, understand and dance to music. They were on a different wavelength back then. Thank god I got a new copy the day after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your guide to the other universe.., 30 Jan 2004
I. Obrien "Ob1" (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
The above reviewers are correct. I fancy you've got the idea by now. This record is still light years ahead of now, and sounds fresher than tomorrow.
Mindblowing. I have studied and lived with this album since I found it in 1995 and I never ever ever tire of it. I have lost it, had it stolen, fallen off a bicycle drunk and broken it - onto copy four now. It is the reason I bought an atari and a synth, and largely the reason why I still use them.
If it hasn't dated by now (when so much other techno is simply painful in 2004) it won't ever.It's doesn't get better than this record - quite literally. Check out all the new garbage on warp, sell them then buy this and look forward to the rest of your life with your new guidebook to the other universe!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best a dog can get, 29 Mar 2008
P. Hogg (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
Light years ahead at time of release and still out there . One of the few albums i listen to anytime of the day after all this time. For me Jauqq and 34 Heart,the final two songs, when first i listened to them just blew me away. If you like electronic music Own it

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future's Bright, 23 Feb 2008
N. Cannon (UK, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
Back when electronic music was daring, dangerous and still living on the margins, Warp released some of the best early electronica albums, this is one of them! To say I've tired of electronic music of the present is an understatement, but this is just good music in anyones vocabulary!
Back when electronic music was more segregated, more unknown, pre-internet information, Bytes came along and just mainlined music thru a digital interface, funky, emotive, thrilling and textural. It was the future, the past and the present.
James Brown meats Disco on a Disneyland ride, in a dream by a Nintendo.
THis is by far the best thing Black Dog ever did, and to think it was created at a time when dance music wasn't exactly embraced by society (Criminal Justice Bill, Repetative beats etc...), it's a very warm, friendly and fun album.
Get this, Autechre's 1st, and Selected Ambient Works (1 +2) and you'll have the a decent cross section of intelligent electronica from the early-mid nineties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 27 Feb 2004
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
This is by for one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard. I have been listening to it for almost 10 years now and I still hear loops and patterns I've not discovered before. A trio consisting of Ed Handley, Andy Turner and Kev Downey, this album is a collective of solo/collaboration songs made between the 3 of them and still remains to be innovative even after all this time.
If you like this, check out an album by the same trio called SPANNERS...equally as impressive and compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black dog bit me good n proper, 22 Mar 2001
This review is from: Bytes (Audio CD)
This work is in a league of its own for its sheer invention and application of producing emotion from electronic sounds.
Most of the indivdual tracks here have more ideas and directions than entire albums that share the same 'genre'- dance/electronic/whatever....this album really has the lot, funky grooves along moments of sheer and insistent beauty share the same space as maddening loops and low frequency bass.
At first this album confused the hell out of me but after a few listens...
Carceres ex Novum!
Boland

Bytes
Bytes by Black Dog (Audio CD - 2001)