5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh Cornwell WIRED - Hidden Gem
Hugh Cornwell WIRED - Hidden Gem

As a Stranglers fan from the beginning I was one of those who sent him to Coventry
or more appropriately 'Trowbridge'. For some reason I collected all eight of his studio solo albums
and found the song writing skills to be superb in most cases, HIFI probably the best of them. He still has
that laid back, cool...
Published on 8 Jun 2011 by paul greig

3.0 out of 5 stars SOLO MEDIOCRE
Solo mediocre. From one of my genuine heroes. And yes, I know it's a few years old now, but I still had high expectations for this blend of mid-tempo pop and funk. However, the result is...

Published on 21 May 2008 by Kelvin J. Dickinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh Cornwell WIRED - Hidden Gem, 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Wired (MP3 Download)
Hugh Cornwell WIRED - Hidden Gem

that laid back, cool resonating sound which comes across well even in some of his simpler lyrical efforts.

P Greig West Lothian

3.0 out of 5 stars SOLO MEDIOCRE, 21 May 2008
Kelvin J. Dickinson (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wired (Audio CD)

Average, in a word. And if you were to turn that word into a sound, then 'meh' (go on, try it) is a pretty fair approximation of what we have on offer here. So despite being effective in places, WIRED lacks the combined strengths of HUGH CORNWELL's earlier STRANGLERS work, which is a great pity. And with the exception of HOT CAT ON A TIN ROOF, WASTED TEARS and FIRST BUS TO BABYLON, the remaining tracks are seriously underdeveloped and expose the weaker aspects of his songwriting style, i.e, a tendency towards awkward vocal phrasing and uninspiring chord progressions. Still, we mustn't overlook HI-FI, WOLF, GUILTY and the weird but brilliant NOSFERATU, four albums which clearly demonstrate that he can turn it on when he wants to. Just not often enough.

As for WIRED, perhaps it's because the man continues to be an articulate and fascinating individual, and an iconic figure for many (including myself), that makes this so-so effort easier to accept as a whole.

RECOMMENDED

Wired
Wired by Hugh Cornwell (Audio CD - 1993)