5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this immediately

Published on 5 Mar. 2007 by N. J. Burbidge

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this immediately, 5 Jan. 2007
Mrs. C. J. Jones "Boudicca23" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Never Gonna Die Again (Audio CD)
While it's true that Roland S Howard was never employed to sing in The Birthday Party, I have honestly heard worse but his guitar playing is sublime. This is a big, jangly album with tracks to make the hair stand up on the back of your neck - Insomnicide, Crowned. If you like The Birthday Party or Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and you don't have this in your collection, then buy it immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't ever sell this one!, 12 July 2000
This review is from: I'm Never Gonna Die Again (Audio CD)
I made that mistake, and now this very fine recording is no longer in print here in the states. The horror! This one is easily Mr. Howard's best effort, Post Birthday Party. Insightful, self-effacing, and majestic work, musically and lyricly. I suppose if the vocal were less flat, it might have sold better, but then it wouldn't be so charming to me. They'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers this time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album - Rowland S Howard genius!, 23 May 2013
I've been listening to both TIS albums and the Rowland S Howard solo albums a lot recently. I would highly recommend all of them! I've got the CD version of this album and the version of Crowned is only 8 minutes long. Can someone confirm that the download version is really 17 minutes long?

2.0 out of 5 stars I am the King of... Oh dear, 5 Mar. 2007
N. J. Burbidge (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'm Never Gonna Die Again (Audio CD)
I saw them previewing songs from this album at Brixton Academy, supporting Sonic Youth too many years ago. I was a big fan of their first album, Get Lost, Don't Lie! (which still stands up very well), so I was really looking forward to seeing them. They weren't bad either - except Roland's flat vocal style did not go down well with the massive, boozy audience. All the same, the late, great Epic Soundtracks looked good behind the drums. When the LP came out much later I was really disappointed: not anything like as good as their first. The King of Kalifornia is a nice rocker but the rest is laboured stuff, with some particularly bad lyrics (suprisingly).

I'm Never Gonna Die Again
I'm Never Gonna Die Again by These Immortal Souls (Audio CD - 1992)