Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 June 2001
After seeing the production in Leeds I bought the 1997 recording, which was great. Then this came & I think it's a great improvement. The orchestra has been greatly reduced, leaving a smaller, but more effective and medieval sound, which suits the atmosphere of the story better. Plus all the new songs are brilliant, especially "Without you as a friend" and the chorus numbers about the flood and the drought in which the villagers blame the misfortunes on Martin, and later, Bertrande. These make up for the seriously reduced "Working on the Land". My only complaint is the the amount of music that is missing off the CD, for example, Benoit's song with Louison is totally missing. Other than that, a joy to listen to!
on 22 March 2008
It's not that this recording is bad. It's actually half decent... But if you've hread the original 1997 recording, you'll know what I mean. The instrumentation has been greatly reduced on this recording (down from about 50 to 5), meaning it loses a lot of depth the original score had. That's another this, as weel, the score is greatly changed from the original, and I think the original was far superior. If you want to listen to Martin Guerre, then I think you'll have to content yourself with this recording as the other is out of print... But if you see the original around anywhere, for God's sake buy it!
on 11 August 2000
The first time I heard Martin Guerre was when I bought the tape of the original London Cast recording. Having played that to death, I then went in search of a CD version. The only one I could find was the Leeds cast recording - and what a shame.A lot of the stirring music from the London production had lost its oomph by the time it reached Leeds. Having said that, there is still plenty of rousing stuff to make it worth buying. The whole show does not seem to flow quite as well as either Les Mis or Miss Saigon; but for all that it is an energetic recording with plenty of strong solo and ensemble numbers.
on 12 September 2012
I played this once and put it aside disappointed in the lack of intricate melodies found in Mes Mis and Miss Saigon. Luckily on a long car journey it was the only CD in my glove box and I was forced to try it again. This time I became seduced by its pulsating primal rhythms. With full orchestra and chorus these repetitive beats become truly hypnotic and remain in the head for days, similar to the experience following a visit to Disneyland but much more enjoyable.
This is a CD really worth adding to your collection; give it 2 or 3 plays and you'll be captivated
on 4 September 2011
At the time of writing still my favourite musical alongside CHESS, Follies, Show Boat, Wicked and Seussical.

The tunes are brilliant and the lyrics expressive. The second half Court Room scene is reminiscent of One Day More but but more multi layered.

Sadly continues to be overshadowed by previous works ( in similar vein, Kander and Ebb's Kiss of the Spiderwoman and The Rink are better shows than Chicago, yet Chicago remains the more popular) but SO deserves such more acclaim and interest.
on 17 February 2012
We have never seen the play, but we know well the history of the story. We literally wore out a CD of the music and could not find a replacement here in the US, so we were pleased to find another in England. Most Americans are unacquainted with the story, but we have taught it for many years. The play and its music convey what we know of life in late medieval France wonderfully.
on 23 December 2013
The first one was good, but this has lots of great songs too. Plot is definitely better though, so if you liked the original you will enjoy this though a shame they took out some of the songs. If you enjoy Les Miserables you will probably like this too.
on 30 January 2014
... but the performances here are amazing too.
i still don't understand why they changed the fact she knows or not who he was from the start.
on 25 October 2010
Nearly everything I expected. A couple of songs missing, but that's my fault not the c.d. Everything on it just wonderful.
on 27 November 2015