5.0 out of 5 stars Sonny - I'm making eyes at you
If you've found your way this far you almost certainly have a taste in music beyond the bland and disposal. This is amongst only a very select few albums that I'd give 5 stars to. If you like steamy southern blues and articulate guitar playing then buy this album. The final track will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.
It's a triumph - do I make...
Published on 3 Mar 2002 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Some high points but not for me
I bought this as it came up as a recommendation from Amazon so thought I would give it a go. Technically this is a good cd, however not my style.

Pros, Sonny is a good guitarist, makes some good sounds and is easy to listen to. His voice is pretty decent, not very strong but again very easy to listen to.

Cons, with the exception of 'Speak of the...
Published 9 months ago by Smartin

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonny - I'm making eyes at you, 3 Mar 2002
This review is from: OUTWARD BOUND (Audio CD)
It's a triumph - do I make myself clear?

5.0 out of 5 stars Slideway To Heaven?, 15 Mar 2008
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outward Bound (Audio CD)
I was given this album by a friend about 6 years ago - he'd purchased it in the US but felt that it wasn't up to much as it was a little "lightweight for a blues album".........little did he know!
Well, for me it's a brilliant album of contrasts and counterpoint and shows Sonny Landreth as one of the finest exponents of modern slide guitar playing, sounding at times like Bonnie Raitt on the slower material found here and, at other times, sounding like Johnny Winter on speed, such is this man's range!
This album is simply beautiful in that it really is timeless, drawing on various facets of the blues and zydeco, country and folk but with a blend that is unique to Louisiana. Certainly, you won't find any fillers here, every track is outstanding in it's own right to the point where you can keep coming back time and again to listen and find it as fresh as the day you first heard it, deserving every one of those 5 precious stars..

3.0 out of 5 stars Some high points but not for me, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Outward Bound (Audio CD)

Cons, with the exception of 'Speak of the Devil' this album does not feel blue.

Overall this album feels more like a Country/Middle America band which isn't the style I tend to like, some bits sounded a little Tom Petty which is no bad thing, others like the Allman Brothers song 'Jessica'.

If you prefer your blues edging towards country this album has a lot to offer, however if you prefer your blues with a bit more growl it may not be for you. I would tend to give it 3.5 stars but not 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have record, 2 Nov 2007
This review is from: Outward Bound (Audio CD)
Ten stars really, but I am allowed only five. Sonny Landreth at his very best with an otherworldly slide guitar sound that is unparalled in this universe. I have listened to my copy in repeat mode for hours and hours. This record packs so much intense feeling and emotional energy that it has the purifying effect of a holy book. When you are ready for the final reckoning on your death bed, listen to Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark Was the Night (Cold Was the Ground)" and the title track of Sonny Landreth's "Outward Bound" and enter heaven relieved of all your troubles.

Outward Bound
Outward Bound by Sonny Landreth (Audio CD)