5.0 out of 5 stars Underated Album
How can it be that Tony Banks has not had the solo success of fellow Genesis band members Collins, Rutherford and Gabriel?
Published on 29 Aug 2003 by dazhands

To my mind not as good as Curious Feeling but still a very good album (so to speak).
Vastly underestimated is Mr Banks
Published 3 months ago by Glenn

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated Album, 29 Aug 2003
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
If you like what is good about Genesis' music then you will love this album. Don't be put off by the guest singers - Banks will probably be the first to admit he isn't the strongest singer in the world but he is superbly aided here by the likes of Fish, Nik Kershaw and Jayney Klimick (from his previous album Bankstatement). The strongest tracks are with out doubt those with Fish who he has worked with before - and this reviewer hopes that they work together again.
There isn't a duff track on this album - they all could have been from a Genesis album and if that had happened then this album would have shifted by the bucketloads.
Give yourself a treat - buy this album and you won't be disapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance, 14 Feb 2004
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
For those of you who bought Tony's first album (A curious feeling) I can promise you that this is a brilliant improvement. Having diverted away from the style of his first two albums, Tony then released music from his film soundtracks, followed by an album under a group "guise" called "Bankstatement", in which he wisely recruited some fine vocalists to enhance his brilliant song-writing and keyboard-playing. The resulting album was like a breath of fresh air, combining some radically different vocals with a touch of the old Genesis sound which his fans have come to love. With this in mind, "Still" is another album in the same brilliant vein, only better! Much as I love "Bankstatement", I must say that he has improved on it by making "Still". The opening track sets things off very well, with terrific vocals from Nik Kershaw and goes on through various styles and he even includes one track with his own voice (Hero for an hour) which seems to suit his vocal style. My favourite track on this album is "Still it takes me by surprise" which features a marvellous middle section in which Tony takes us back to a kind of "Firth of Fifth" mood and plays a brilliant keyboard! A very close second in my opinion is "Murder of a day" which has a haunting theme, perfectly complemented by the haunting voice of Fish. I bought this CD in 1991 and still enjoy it to this day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mix of Fish, Kershaw and Tony Banks, 30 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
This album I got for 3 pounds, but it took me with surprice.
It is a brilliant mix with various vocals and Tony Banks as the organ virtuous.
In style close to Quicksilver, or to some extend what Genesis fans will remember as The Brazilian (from the Invisible Touch), however, this time not an instrumental one. On the album we meet a mixture of different vocalists - which is perhaps the best combination to the musical talent Tony Banks.
The "Angel Face" and "Another Murder of a Day" with Fish as main vocalist are perfect illustrations of how Fish should have continued after Marillion, never mind, this album brings in the best of his voice and the compositions of Banks.
The "Still it Takes me by Surprice" is another inspiring example of the musical talent of Banks.
The guest vocalist list includes Nick Kershaw, Fish, Andy Taylor and Jayney Klimek.

3.0 out of 5 stars To my mind not as good as Curious Feeling but still a very good album (so to speak), 16 May 2014
Vastly underestimated is Mr Banks

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Genesis, 21 Jan 2013
Amazon Customer (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
I guess I was looking for a Genesis sound but then I should have stuck to Genesis albums! Particularly the Nik Kershaw songs are a bit poppy for my taste. The Fish tracks are better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing offering from a great musician, 7 Feb 2012
R. Mason - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
For over thirty years I have been an admirer of Tony Banks. In my opinion he is one of Britain's greatest keyboard players so I was really looking forward to hearing this album. However when I finished I considered my decision to buy this CD a wrong one. It's not that the album is bad, it's OK and that's about all I can say. Listeners expecting to hear Tony Banks weave his magic will encounter an album which, to my mind sounds rather like other albums of its time. One interesting element is hearing Tony Banks sing. To my untutored ear he sounds fine which makes his decision to employ Andy Taylor, who is no better than him, to do the vocals on 3 tracks odd. Taylor compares badly with the other guest vocalists [Fish, Nik Kershaw and Jayney Klimek]. Can't say I was overly impressed by Daryl Stuermer's guitar work either. Lyrics are alright. I really can't put my finger on anything in particular which is bad but there isn't a single track which I will play over and over again. I have a feeling this CD will gather dust on my shelf while I listen to Tony play with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins. Nothing on this album will ever make me put on the headphones, switch off the lights, close my eyes and listen, captivated by his glorious work on 'The Cinema show' off Selling England by the Pound

4.0 out of 5 stars "Still" Worth A Listen, 1 July 2010
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
Another one dragged off the shelf for a listen after many years gathering dust.

There's actually some decent tracks on this album, my favourite probably being Angel Eyes which combines some fantastic keyboards, guitars and Fish's vocals. This track gives a glimpse of what Genesis *should* have sounded like in the 80's/early 90's if Collins hadn't imposed his jazz/funk indulgence and the band had stuck instead to their prog rock roots.

Unfortunately, there's a couple of weaker tracks notably the ones on which Tony sings the vocals. Sorry chap, you're one of the keyboard greats but a singer you ain't.

Overall I don't rate this quite as highly as A Curious Feeling or the (now rare) Soundtracks but an interesting listen all the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars just in the nik of time, 9 May 2009
Paul Bradley "sam armytage" (australian surf beach) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
a few monthsd ago i dle'd a low quality mp3 of i wanna change the score feat nik kershaw. i love it.i saw this album and bought it str8 away .the track is awesome and there's some good stuff by tony banks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Banks, 20 Feb 2009
Iain (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
Tony Banks is a fantastic pianist and composer, a massive, prodigious musical talent. Throw in a bit of guitar and vocals on this album and it's Tony, the all-round musical genius. And with a supporting cast of Vinnie Colaiuta, Pino Palladino, Luis Jordan etc. it's a top quality recording. These are atmospheric, verse-and-chorus songs, full of passion and insight, pure romance. As always the guitar of Daryl Stuermer is accomplished and shines on "Back to Back", a track with the bass provided by a synth where a rock bass guitar might have been better. There are plenty of great vocals, as has been pointed out in other reviews, although my personal favourites are the Kershaw tracks Red Day and The Final Curtain. Water out of Wine (a similar vintage to One for the Vine?), Angel Face and Still It Takes Me By Surprise are supremely melancholic, reminiscent of the album "A Curious Feeling", but without the nudge into a depressive sulk. Lots of uplifting bits thrown in on this one. Above all else it's a brilliant demonstration of this man's ear for musical composition. Buy it and be enthralled.

Still
Still by Tony Banks (Audio CD - 1991)