on 11 February 2010
The "music" of Silent Hill is an often maligned aspect of a game that in 1999 proved something terrifying could come from the PS1 gaming console which not only fed on a person's fear of the dark, but fear for the flesh. While Resident Evil did a good job of delivering unto us oozing zombie goodness, Silent Hill was an altogether different kind of game.

I don't think any one aspect of the project really drives this point home with more gusto than the game's soundtrack, which was written and performed by Akira Yamaoka (who currently acts as Executive Producer of the franchise.)

Yamaoka has a knack for creating terror through sound, which plays a huge part in making Silent Hill so terrifying. Don't believe me? Try turning the volume down sometime. It really isn't very effective that way.

The music itself is a strange beast on its own. Not music per se, the mixture of ambient sound with grinding metal and chanting voices is something not to be missed by those with an eclectic taste. There's a kind of energy to what Yamaoka has produced, and despite the fact that it isn't exactly something most people would listen to every day, I personally can't help but admit that I truly enjoy the odd sounds on display out in this compilation.

The first track on the disc -- the Silent Hill main theme -- is among one of the most eerie video game themes ever composed. Compared to the more streamlined "Theme of Laura" from Silent Hill 2, it's quite different and out-there.

The CD moves from track to track pretty much seamlessly, making for a bit of an emotional roller coaster. There's no pause for breath between each scene, and that's something I appreciate.

I did deduct the CD one star, and that's because some of the tracks are a bit short (particularly "Die" and "Not Tomorrow".) It would have been nice to have the length extended a bit, but that's only a slight niggle on my part.

Another reason I deducted a star has to do with the lack of key tracks on the CD. I've got an Expanded OST made by a fan which runs two discs long. There's some really good stuff that was left off the official disc. As a result, it does get a bit boring from time to time.

For those of you who want something a bit more melodic, I suggest the Silent Hill 3 and 4 soundtracks. There's a lot more in the way of actual music on both of those discs, and while the games did feature a lot of the metallic grinding that is found in the original Silent Hill, it was opted to leave a massive chunk of it off of the soundtrack CDs (unfortunately).

The soundtrack for Silent Hill is truly unique in that it isn't music, per se, but if you've got a morbid ear or just a curious mind, I suggest giving it a listen. (A warning, though: if you have a sensitive ear, you might want to avoid tracks like "My Heaven", which does go a bit wild.)
on 15 May 2013
I had been looking to pick up this classic for a while now, as it had usually been so expensive; I had never seen it for under 60 quid. An offer came up for 17 pounds so I couldn't say no.

The music is what gave Silent Hill its edge, for me anyway. The production is fantastic. Yamaoka knows how to chill you to the bone, and he doesn't hold back in channeling pure terror into sonic form; 'My heaven,' 'Not Tomorrow 2.'
He also knows how to write a decent song as well; 'Silent Hill,' 'Tears of...,' 'Not tomorrow 1,' etc.

I'd have to say that this is not for casual listening, as most of the time, you can't tell when the songs change. Although that is not a bad thing by any means, it conveys an atmosphere, rather than an audible tune at times, which is why it intrigues me so. It's more of an experience listening to it all the way through.

Also it came 2 days after purchase, top notch all round.
on 5 April 2000
Silent Hill was the best game to appear on the PlayStation. The soundtrack of the game is not so much the "music of Silent Hill" as the "sounds of Silent Hill", meaning that while it will bring you back the wonderfully eerie atmosphere of the game, it is not really a CD that you will want to listen to from start to finish very often. Having said that, the opening song is worth the price of admission alone and if you loved Silent Hill you will get a chill every time you hear it...