5.0 out of 5 stars The first time I heard Ali..., 4 May 2004
This review is from: THE SOURCE (Audio CD)
..I had just bought a dodgy green cassette of this in Ghana, and slapped it into my walkman as I began a journey south. If only the music had lasted as long as the rickety bus ride...
More recently The Source has found a permanent home in my car stereo; it seems to be perfect music for journeys. Its forty five minutes transport you further than an F-16. So much is made of Ali's bluesy riffs and licks, but it's the piercing tone of his guitar and the way it mingles with the gritty and windswept tone of the fiddles, and the smooth but grainy texture of the voices which gives it its distant appeal - it's an album of textures simultaneously as rough and as smooth as the Sahara, and every bit as remote.
Those cyclical melodies and clickety-clack rhythms are other trademarks of this part of the world - they can be heard on the music of Tinariwen and Tartit, too. The Source is roots music as it should be, respectful of tradition and playful in its exploration of new forms. A wonderful ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ali Farka Toure's best album, 7 April 2006
Henk Beentje "Henk Beentje" (Kew, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Source (Audio CD)
I agree with johnnylips' review (below) - but would like to add that I think this is the best of Toure's albums. As rich as a good Kente cloth, as beautiful as a desert sunset, eternal as the river Niger - plus rhythms as funky as they get. Music that goes straight to the heart. Effortless riffs, improvisations upon simple themes - deceptively simple, that is. This is rich rich music!
I was sad to hear that Ali 'Farka' Toure died earlier this year, but I am very grateful to him for leaving Niafunke, Mali, and the world at large a wonderful musical heritage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eric Clapton of African Guitar!, 16 Dec 2012
J. M. Covington "covvie" (East Yorks Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Source (MP3 Download)
Just have a listen. Try a sample. His music is beautiful, different and engaging. Not something to dance to I should point out, but a gourmet's delight to wallow in!

His playing is simple yet complex. Complex yet pleasingly simple to follow.

I fell in love with his music whilst listening to the Andy Kershaw, world music show on BBC Radio many years ago.

This album sums him up superbly.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best African Album, 9 Jan 2011
Mr. R. M. Crawley "bobbazoid" (Croydon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE SOURCE (Audio CD)
I've heard some great African albums - Tinariwen's Amassakoul and Boubacar Traore's Mariama for example. This beats the lot and the other Ali Farke Toure albums I've listened to as well. It's more uptempo and rousing than Niafunke or Talking Timbukto with lovely fluid string work. This is truly and wonderful, wonderful album and if you're looking for somewhere to start with African music I heartily recommend it.

THE SOURCE
THE SOURCE by Ali Farka Toure (Audio CD - 2010)