5.0 out of 5 stars The Boss at his Best!!!
Released in 1992 this remains one of my favourite Springsteen albums.
Published on 3 July 2012 by N. Fitzgerald

3.0 out of 5 stars A diversion
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by AndrewHX

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boss at his Best!!!, 3 July 2012
N. Fitzgerald (Newtownabbey, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
Released in 1992 this remains one of my favourite Springsteen albums.
It has the traditional rock guitar driven sound that really makes most of the songs stand out,from the brilliant "Human Touch" which is one of my long time favourites,to the catchy "57 Channels" and the magnificent "Roll of the Dice"-a real masterpiece of a song,to the haunting "I wish I were blind" it's clear that a true rocker is at work here.
If you want my opinion there's really no weak tracks on this set,yes,some are indeed "stronger" tunes than others but there's nothing terrible for the most part,it rightly deserves high praise.
Can't understand why some reviewers are so downbeat regards this album......it's awesome!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars If released today, we would be calling it a great album!, 16 Nov 2013
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
I own every single studio album by The Boss, and this has been overlooked by me for a long time.

Although it doesn't have the same sound, style or musical glee of his first six releases, I think this is better than Born In The USA and as good as Tunnel Of Love. I do think he has released a few lacklustre albums (Working On A Dream and Devils and Dust spring to mind), and musically this is fairly tame by his previous Born To Run standard. But people grow, tastes change. And this album is not a million miles from the style of Magic, which is hailed by many (including myself) as being one of Bruce Springsteen' s better efforts of recent years!

Human Touch, Soul Driver, Gloria's Eyes, 57 Channels. These songs alone make this album at least worth a listen, but this is an upbeat and enjoyable collection of party rockers and haunting slow songs!

Released the same day as the rather outstanding (and similarly underrated) Lucky Town, this album is frequently ranked as the worst of his albums. Sure, it's not as essential as many of his earlier works (The Wild,... and Darkness come to mind), but I think its a treasure trove of more commercial sounding Springsteen fare.

If this came out today, it would be hailed as a great album, and a nice change of pace from the politically charged (and frustratingly preachy) Wrecking Ball. Better than I expected it to be, I am very pleased I chose to revisit Human Touch again!

I will go out on a limb and say I prefer this to better recieved works such as Nebraska, Born In The USA, Seeger Sessions, Devils And Dust and Working On A Dream. Of his two 1992 albums, I would say Lucky Town is the better release, but this deserves to be recognised as a minor highlight of Bruce's illustrious and varied career!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not heard this in ages..., 12 July 2013
This review is from: Human Touch (MP3 Download)
I first got this album on tape back when it was released and i got to admit only listened to it and its accompanying album Lucky Town a few times as I didn't find them as accessible as some of his earlier stuff like Born in the USA. Coming back to this album now I'm reminded of what I've been missing form my Springsteen collection. There are some great songs on here if only the E Street band had been playing them I think this would have been a stand out album. Still good and worth adding to the collection if only for Human Touch, 57 channels, All or Nothing at All and Gloria's Eyes.....

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stuff from 'the boss', 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
I love every single record on this album- classic Springsteen which never disappoints. A real must for any Springsteen fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mid Career Crisis?, 5 Aug 2011
Mr. C. R. Willis "Motorpsycho" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
This album was released at the beginning of 1992 on the same day as the album Lucky TownLucky Town and over 4 years after its predecessor Tunnel of Love. The story is that Springsteen felt the album was incomplete so returned to the studio and very quickly had recorded enough songs for another album which became Lucky Town.
This is one of his most eclectic records mixing the anthemic rock of Gloria`s Eyes, The Long Goodbye and the title track with the slick soul of Real World, Man`s Job and Soul Driver. A sprinkling of heartfelt ballads, Cross My Heart, With Every Wish and I Wish I Were Blind.
This is not one of Springsteens best albums but it is far from his worst.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cant understand why people think it's his worst album, its absolutely brilliant!!, 26 Jun 2009
KittyCate (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
I have never been able to understand why so many people criticise this album so much. I suppose that for those fans who first fell in love with Bruce during his 'Born to Run' or 'Born in the USA' days, then this album may seem a little too "middle of the road". I myself however am a relatively young fan (24) and first dicovered Bruce when I was a teenager and he was "getting on a bit", with a wealth of material behind him already. I set upon a decade-long journey of discovery by gradually collecting all of his albums (in random order). Of course I liked some better than others, but I soon fully appreciated all the different styles and 'phases' of his music throughout the years.

In my opinion, Human Touch is one of the finest of the handful of albums in which Bruce comments on 'men, women, and relationships' as he would put it. You wont find many examples of the kind of storytelling found on Born to Run, or the socio-political commentry of Born in the USA, or the bouncy feel-good rock of The River. But you will find beautiful, melodic and well constructed songs on the interactions between men and women, and the salvation that can be offered from that all-important 'human touch' in life.

Indeed, this album is not perfect by any means. 'Real Man' is clearly one of the worst songs ever written by anyone, let alone Springsteen. 'The Long Goodbye' and 'Roll of the Dice' also leave a lot to be desired. But who can fail to listen to 'I Wish I Were Blind' without feeling that this song alone makes up for the bad ones? In my opinion 'I wish I were blind' is one of the finest songs of his career, and an utterly beautiful, painful love song.

Other highlights are of course 'Human Touch', 'Cross my Heart', 'Soul Driver', 'With Every Wish', 'Man's Job'...I could go on. It is every bit as good (if not better than) it's partner album 'Lucky Town', although it is often seen as the weaker of the two.

We of course have our favourites and this album will not appeal to everyone. But do not be discouraged from giving this album a try just because you heard it's not up to scratch, or because it might not sound the same as his earlier work. Or, if you already own this album and found it disappointing before, take it off the shelf and give it another listen to make doubly sure!

3.0 out of 5 stars A diversion, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
from Springsteen, this time without the E-Street Band. I owuld describe it as a bit more serious as he experimented with new band members and backing singers. Some cool tracks including the title song. Probably not his finest work but most fans do appreciate the way The Boss has continually re-invented himself throughout his career, from Born to Run to The Seeger Sessions. What next? - a rap album!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but patchy outing for The Boss, 9 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
Human Touch has five great songs, the title track (my favourite Springsteen song), Soul Driver, With Every Wish, All Or Nothing At All and I Wish I Was Blind plus quite a few good ones. The main problem, barring a few scraps of filler, is that it sounds more like a collection of songs thrown together than a whole album - the beautiful, wistful ballad With Every Wish is ruined by immediately going into the raucous rock of Roll Of The Dice. Human Touch is ultimately a poor relative of its sister record Lucky Town, one of Springsteen's best albums that was released on the same day. Ironic, because it was supposed to be the other way round.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boss, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
good rocking music, Springsteen can be relied on to produce excellent albums, that give you a lift and make you feel alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The title track!!!, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Human Touch (Audio CD)
What a start to an album.I can not get enough of this song. Great bass compliments this wonderful song. Another unique track is 58 stations and nothing on. Sums up my feelings when i watch tv.....sometimes.

Human Touch
Human Touch by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 2000)