5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb
I was prompted to listen to, and then go straight out and buy, this record by a friend of mine. All I can say, is that every single track is beautiful, utterly awe-inspiring, and magical.
Notable highlights are:
Published on 1 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars old repeats
This cd is full of old repeats of their mega hits plus a few poetic singing observations. There is nothing as radical as say Pete Seeger or even Joan Baez (and' Heaven forbid) good old Bob Dylan. But HEY! It's enjoyable enough to switch on and chill out to.
Published 5 months ago by Dunx

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb, 1 Dec 1999
By A Customer
Notable highlights are:
"Bridge Over Troubled Water", which is just totally and completely magnificent. I know this track has been praised and praised before, but it stirs very powerful emotion within me...I am sure anyone hearing it feels themselves taken away too.
"Song for Emily" - a song that now has a VERY special place in my heart, a touching piece that seems to define the meaning of love - the final lines "Oh, how I love you girl", look very plain written down, but when sung here, they make the spine tingle, and you know at once he MEANS it. Tremendous.
"Hazy Shade of Winter" Pure genius guitar work at play. An absolutely storming track, so immediate.....you already know all the words! Reflective, yet does not slip into sombreness - the sign of brilliant lyricism
I could just go on and on about this record, but, don't just take it from me....buy it, it is superb in every sense

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best single CD, 9 Aug 2004
D. Storey "GSV3MiaC" (Shropshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
This is a great single CD collection .. the only problem being that Simon & Garfunkel have about 2.5 CDs-worth of great material (even without getting into the live recordings). As a sampler it's wonderful, but hard core fans will want the box set, or the whole collection of original albums (+ bonus tracks).
I don't particularly like the (live) version of 'For Emily', compared to the studio version on 'Parsley, Sage', but that's just my preference - many people probably won't notice the differences.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in my collection of about 500 cd's, 27 Mar 2003
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
I grew up listening to this cd and its probabley the one Id take with me to a desert island. Its one of the few i have were every track is equally good,though Song for the asking is particularly lovely and you dont hear it around to often.
Even if you already have some the songs or albums its still worth getting. If you've heard S&G and thought they were good, ok or even really bad i still recomend getting this cd. Its one to treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 July 2009
S. Oppenheim (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
Considering the age of this compilation, the sound quality is excellent and does just to a great collection of songs. True, there are some notable absentees but on the flip side of the coin, there are fantastic live versions of "Kathys Song" and "For Emily Whenever I May Find Her" that are a jaw-droppingly stunning exhibition of how a song can be both sweetly melodic and yet incredibly powerful.
This is far and away one of the best compilations I own and by any artist -if you are a fan, you need this! And if you are new to Simon and Garfunkel, this is a truly ideal place to start. Get it today - you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sampled Genius, 24 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
I always think of this two as being something my parents listened to, having heard a million inferior covers of their songs. This album changed my opinion: the arrangements are warm without being overbearing, bringing out the best in the superb vocal performances and gentle harmonic tunes.
And despite what one of the other reviewers says, "For Emily..." is one of the most stunning vocal performances I've ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic, 7 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
Be prepared to make a space in your 'all time favourite CDs' for this brilliant collection. Simon & Garfunkel first grabbed my attention when I was in New York drinking coffees in Dean & Deluca. I bought this CD hoping to recapture my NY mood when I returned to England - it has been inspiring me ever since. It is simply one of the best CDs in my collection and if I could take just one CD with me to a Desert Island, this would be it. Thank you 'At The Zoo' and 'America' - I'll never forget NY and I'll forever listen to this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good overlook - has all the popular tracks, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
Recently bought 2 copies of this for christmas presents for people I know will appreciate it.Simon and Garfunkel were part
of the soundtrack to my childhood and youth.I hardly ever listen to this music nowadays but might if & when the fancy takes me.Just a few quick thoughts on the music:

Comes from a time when the bar was set much higher than today in terms of what was expected and what to expect from artists.

When the best artists all had their own sound and didnt sound like everyone else.

Quality songs that mean(t) something.

Music that was made to last and continually finds new devotees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definative Simon and Garfunkel., 3 Oct 2010
Jr Crossley - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
It's got all the classic hits on the cd and it was a pleasure to listen to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars for my uncle, 9 Oct 2008
Mr. G. Murray - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
Today i bought the essential simon and garfunkel and at the minute im listenening to it as i write this. The only reason i am is because of my uncle who passed away over 2 years ago there, he had down syndome an was an inspiration to me and anyone who knew him, and this was his album, an ever since my childhood when he listened to this album I've loved simon and garfunkel. I recommend it to anyone, absolutely beautiful music, lyrics and overal sound, beautiful

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought back childhood memories!, 1 Nov 2011
Papillon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD)
It's not perfect-what definitive album ever is? Thoroughly enjoyed the simple melodies and lyrics, very pleasant, easy listening. Takes me back decades, amazing how familiar it still is after all those years. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel
The Definitive Simon & Garfunkel by Simon & Garfunkel (Audio CD - 1991)