4.0 out of 5 stars Her best by far!
I first bumped into (literally!) Mary Black when I popped into a London music store one lunchtime and she was about to start a half-hour set with her band. She sang a few songs from this album. I listened to her lovely voice and the simple acoustic arrangements and bought the CD.

Published on 19 Oct 2003 by Big G

2.0 out of 5 stars Babes in the Wood, Mary Black.
Published 11 months ago by Howard Macartney

4.0 out of 5 stars Her best by far!, 19 Oct 2003
This review is from: Babes in the Wood (Audio CD)

It is a great album, with a gentle thread running through it. Her voice is crystal clear and she sings beautifully in tune. For me, the best tracks are "Golden Mile" (a wonderful song), "Brand New Star", a short and very chipper little thing and "The Thorn Upon The Rose", which she sang in the music store and which really attracted me to the album. There are other excellent tracks, like "Might As Well Be A Slave", which has great piano backing (the use of the piano is a constant boon on this album). She also does a fantastic reading of Joni Mitchell's "The Urge For Going". Another very good thing about this album is that the producer is Declan Sinnott, the excellent Moving Hearts musician and guitarist for Christy Moore, who plays guitars, dobro and mandolin here. What he does here is to let Mary sing the songs and allow the musicians to play, without one overpowering the other. It is a very good album and, although one or two of the other tracks sound a bit twee to me, if you want a good album to start with when getting to know her, this is the one to choose.

Sadly, I don't think any of her other albums are anywhere near as good as this, but I am happy to make do with this little gem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Babes in the Wood, Mary Black., 15 May 2013
Howard Macartney (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babes in the Wood (Audio CD)
Many years ago I recorded this album to cassette from a friends CD and have loved it since but with the end of cassette use I purchased this CD from Zoverstock on Amazon. The tracks are the same but the quality of the transfer to this sample of the CD was very poor by way of lifeless and squashed sounding. It would seem that recent pressing fall well short of playing standards which is a shame as this is one of Mary Blacks best Cds.
If you can get an older version of the Cd from the time of launch it may well be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enduringly lovely album, 9 Oct 2012
This review is from: Babes in the Wood (Audio CD)
I was given this CD as a gift about eight years ago and it remains one of my top favourites. It's a beautiful album, I love every track. I don't think many weeks have gone by when I haven't played it. I was playing it again the other day and thinking how much I love it and just decided to pop in here and write a quick review.

If you want an album with songs that really mean something (and you get more meaning from the songs the more you listen to them) and one that is beautifully sung, you can't go wrong with this lovely album.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Music Album, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Babes in the Wood (Audio CD)
There are some Great Numbers on this CD of Mary's I Love the Bright Blue Rose Track I Think its an Easter Song I Have Tried Playing it On Guitar at Home Its a difficult Number as i am only a learner . still nice to sing though .

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Babes in the Wood (Audio CD)
One of the best folk-style albums I have ever heard, beyond that no more needs saying! I thoroughly recommend it.

ARRAY(0xae28d8e8)

Babes in the Wood
Babes in the Wood by Mary Black (Audio CD)