Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 November 2006
This is probably Phil's best solo album - he conceives it that way himself, and I agree with him. Most of the songs are completely unknown - Both Sides Of The Story, Everyday and We Wait And We Wonder were all semi-hits, and are all great songs, but the real power comes with songs like Can't Find My Way, Can't Turn Back The Years, Please Come Out Tonight, and We Fly So Close - the latter is probably Phil's best tune bar none 1981/2006. It's not very radio-friendly, it may be a bit stagnant at times (I've Forgotten Everything), and superior songs from the same era were mysteriously left off the album (For A Friend - another of his finest moments! - and several interesting instrumental cuts only made it out as B-sides). Even so, this remains as a very strong and coherent album, that grows on you through repeated listenings for a long time.
on 18 October 2005
I was never the world's biggest Collins fan, indeed by the end of the 80's I felt he was over-exposed and something had to give. What's remarkable about this album is that he more or less did everything himself. It contains some of his saddest songs, but they are also among his best. It's a proper album in every sense of the word. Rather like Kirsty MacColl's "Titanic Days", it's a "sad, divorce album" with a genuine beginning, middle and end. Standout tracks are "Everyday" and the wonderful concluding song "Please come out tonight". It lacks the commercial clout of his biggest hits, and I'm sure his record company were horrified, but it's the perfect autumnal record. Give me this over "Sussudio" any day.
on 25 October 2010
I feel like this album is the last one Phil made where the songs sound like he really NEEDED to write them. But more than this, I feel this is the album which is closest to his heart, above perhaps even 'Face Value'. I guess songs like 'We Fly So Close' and 'I've Forgotten Everything' are the best tracks. They just capture everything that makes Phil Collins great; very simple music that has huge impact. There's hardly any tracks which have any noticeable weaknesses and, even these are easy to overlook. This album also captures a spirituality that's missing from some of Phil's other albums. The song that I'm thinking of is 'Can't Find My Way'. It's such a tranquil song that has fabulously atmospheric keyboards and a gently hypnotic beat.

As I mentioned, I think 'Both Sides' is the last album Phil made which seemed like it was written out of necessity. Albums like 'Dance into the Light' and 'Testify' have good stuff on them but I just feel like the fire had gone from the writing. This maybe a reflection of Phil's changing priorities in life, not necessarily a bad thing by the way. I also feel like, after 'Both Sides', Phil's voice began to show age and he just couldn't go wild like he used to. Maybe he had finally got it all out of his system!

I would recommend this album to any fan of simple and emotional music. This album is not as heavy in sound as Phil's previous four albums but it is his heaviest in terms of substance. It's the pinnacle of his musical career and perhaps the beginning of the end of it.
on 13 November 1999
This is a brilliant CD recorded by Phil Collins during his breakup with his wife, which is refected in the lyrics. Sit back, Dim the lights, and listen to each word... You'll agree that it is superb!
on 2 September 2014
One of phils best albums by far.Some really fantastic tracks on this and worth every penny.Although there are not many well known songs on the album compared to other albums he has done I think this is his best by far.
on 12 September 2012
If you need a review for Phil Collins where on this earth have you been hiding...great album very evocative of the mid 90s to early millennium for me, very reflective in style sit back and chilll
on 2 June 2013
Very good CD and played quite a bit already. Some very nice tracks on here and some i have never heard before..
on 3 March 2016
Not one of his best but still has some good tracks.
on 20 May 2016