Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 April 2000
Many 70s band collections concentrate on glam rock or heavy metal or good time pop - but those of us who remember a time when music was tuneful, well arranged with meaningful poetic words and a nice singing style are well served with this excellent David Gates and Bread "Essentials" album. Remembered in the UK chiefly for their only top 10 hit MAKE IT WITH YOU, included here, Bread were a bunch of seasoned professional musicians who didn't have to wear bovver boots or pour tinsel on their faces to get our attention - they got it by playing good original music which appealed to music fans of all ages. This 24 track compilation draws mainly from the band's 5 studio albums, and although there are omissions, like CLOUDS, SAIL AROUND THE WORLD (David Gates solos) , IT DONT MATTER TO ME and GAMES OF MAGIC - the classic Bread material is there track after track. The wonderful thing about BABY I'M A WANT YOU, IF, EVERYTHING I OWN and GUITAR MAN is that they don't date at all and the CD sound is excellent. Slip this into your CD player and many of those nice 1970s memories will come flooding back.
on 10 December 2010
How can you have a compilation of Bread "Essentials" without London Bridge and This is the Last Time??? Sadly, I only realised these tracks were omitted after buying it, but otherwise, it is a fairly good compilation, and includes other songs which aren't on the "Sound of Bread" LP that I also own. Aside from the tracks from that LP which are also on here, I particularly like "He's a good lad" and "I want you with me" which I can't do without, so I think "essentials" is appropriate here. Perhaps they should have made a second disc to include the two previously mentioned songs, "Truckin'", "Fancy Dancer" and "Just like yesterday". Just a thought!
on 13 March 2015
For the uninitiated, Bread were one of the premier soft-rock bands to achieve major US album and single success in the early 1970s. Most well know for their David Gates-penned ballads, they often get dismissed but actually produced some of the greatest music of its kind. There are many collections out there - it is worth doing your research - but this is one of the best, and at a great price. Winningly in chronological order, it is comprehensive in that it includes all of their major US hits, and a lovely bonus is 4 extra tracks from David Gates subsequent solo career. Initially, it is the craftsmanship of the David Gates' material that impresses - who can forget beauties like "Make It With You", "If", "Everything I Own" and comeback hit "Lost Without Your Love". The best for me is still "Guitar Man", with its great guitar work rivalling the Carpenters' "Goodbye To Love" for best soft-rock MOR. It is, though, great to have all sides of Bread represented, and the James Griffin material gives a good balance and contrast to the Gates' ballads and shows that Bread really were a quality band. Finishing with the Gates' US hits "Never Let Her Go" and "Goodbye Girl" really does make this an Essential collection of great music. A great purchase.
on 13 November 2015
Growing up around the early 1970s I heard Bread for the first time and they certainly made a good impression.
The 1960s had revolved around The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and other UK Beat Groups etc and then the US response from, among others, The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan and The Byrds.
The 1970s saw a great variety of bands and styles and Bread were one of many, many new artists.
Listening to this CD I/m surprised at how many songs I recalled and therefore 4 stars is easily awarded.
Best songs, well Make It With You, Look What You've Done, Baby I'm A Want You, Guitar Man and Goodbye Girl.
I also have The Sound Of Bread, which has some alternative songs, therefore I am happy to keep both collections.
on 17 February 2015
Brilliant CD, love it mainly because it reminds me of my younger days many, many years ago now. Brought back lots of memories. Perfect CD for anyone who grew up in the sixties.
on 31 January 2014
Grew up listening to Bread thanks to my Dad - Great to hear again! Would recommend, good value for money.
on 3 January 2015
This CD arrived on time and played fine can now listen to all my old favourite Bread songs altogether.
on 14 August 2013
aS ALWAYS NEVER FAILS, BREAD ARE AN AMAZING BAND, AND THIS IS A A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEYRE BEST TRACKS.
on 4 November 2015
Great Bread hits. Lovely to listen to.
on 23 April 2015