4.0 out of 5 stars New Kids on the Block!
Published on 15 Feb 2010 by FUNK COLLECTOR2

3.0 out of 5 stars No Direction
Good chilled listen. I can't take it in high doses, since I actually feel that the vocals come out as pretty annoying, but I guess this is a good album to chill to from time to time. The instrumentals are varied throughout making it a more interesting listen.
Published on 11 April 2012 by Lord Anon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars New Kids on the Block!, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
They really were new kids on the block back in 1985. I first heard this whilst browsing clothes @ NEXT in Chancery Lane, London, Christmas Eve 1985 I think! NEXT was probably a bit more ground breaking back then! The staff had this album playing and I stayed in the shop so long, I heard most of the best songs off the album (I bought a pair of trousers!). It's stayed with me ever since and I bought the album soon after on Tape! The stand out songs are always Moneys Too Tight to Mention, Holding Back the Years and Heaven, which is probably my favorite ever slow song! Back then, they had a style all of their own and were pretty groundbreaking. Fantastic album anyway, very soulful!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic 80's Album thats overshadowed by their latersucess, 17 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
Like the other review I too was a Big Simply Red fan when I 14 but this Album is still in my CD rack. This album goes from really good music in "come to my aid and "moneys too toight" to well thought out lyrics in "jericho" and heaven" and then there's the title track which is melodic in its first listen and gets better every time.The engineering and production on this album were never equaled in Simply Red's later albums which is a shame as this album showed real promise. A must buy for anyone who has anytime for Simply Red/Mick Hucknall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the purchase, 25 Nov 2012
I would thoroughly recommend this CD. Well worth the purchase enjoyable easy listening relaxing soundtrack. Ordered for treat to self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before The Hype, 23 Jun 2004
J. E. Parry "Jeff Parry" (Pontypool, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
Before the hype there was this....
One of the best debut albums ever. Mixing covers and new songs this was a career launcher for Mick Hucknall. This is where Simply Red began and is one of the best of their albums.
From the opening of Come To My Aid this shows a band and singer that would go on to become world beaters before the hype took over and the genius was lost.
Thec album mixes white soul with funky protest and an ace Talking Heads cover. Even after all these years I can put this on and I want to sing and dance along.
Definitely worth owning by anyone and has not dated at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The fire in the belly, 2 Nov 2007
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
Man, I long for singers to sing with this passion now-a-days, including Simply Red. The majority of this album was written when sad old Red (aka Mick Hucknall) was living in a box room council flat and boy was he firey back then. The resentment, love and sorrow he had for life is conveyed in every note sung on this album to a degree he never really was able to reproduce. Maybe it was the money. Ironic, since it was Moneys Too Tight To Mention that caterpaulted them to their peak. I love this album for not only its mood, not only his firey raw voice but also for the superb melody and music. The throbbing of the double bass, the jazzy piano solos, brass crescendos all brought together in the superb reverb drenched recording and engineering.

We miss you Red.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'RED' at their best, 24 May 2009
Bojan Cvetanovski "Bojan" (Skopje,Republic of Macedonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
I have bought this album after listening to "Men and women" and "Home". "Picture Book" was a debut for Hucknall and his company and gives to us straightly stong favor of white pop and soul music.The album has more songs that needs attention,"Jericho","Come to my aid" are great songs where we can here excellent voice abilities of Mick. For sure, "Money's too tight" , "Holding Back the Years", "Heaven" are songs that are already classics in modern pop history.Recommended for every serious musical collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
simply red's best album

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad debut, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
This first album by Simply Red is probably overlooked these days, but check it out, it probably contains some of their finest tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
Loved this cd and would recommend it to any Simply Red fan or anyone who likes listening to good music!

5.0 out of 5 stars replacement cd, 9 April 2013
J. Campbell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Picture Book (Audio CD)
One of my favourites. Bought as a replacement CD. What more can I say I like Reds early stuff zzzzz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Picture Book
Picture Book by Simply Red (Audio CD - 1989)