5.0 out of 5 stars Still delightful after all those years, 11 Dec 2009
Jan De Meyer "jazzhermit" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man With the Horn (Audio CD)
I started to discover the music of Miles Davis during his years of retirement in the late seventies. "The Man With The Horn" was among the first recordings of Miles I bought. I immediately loved it and still do. Most of the songs are propelled by the forceful drumming of Al Foster and Marcus Miller's great bass. Guitarists Barry Finnerty and Mike Stern as well as saxman Bill Evans are in great shape too. Two songs ("Shout" and the title tune) are more mellow or pop-like, though they fortunately avoid the cheapness (sorry) of later covers like Cindy Lauper's "Time after time".

Miles himself is in great shape too. Forget what the critics say about him trying to regain his former chops. The music on "The Man With The Horn" is bold and energetic, it's groovy and funky, it's jazz that rocks. I've listened to the record and the cd many hundreds of times and I'm sure I'll never be bored even for a second.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man with the Horn, 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: Man With the Horn (Audio CD)
If you like jazz, funk and rock rolled into one, then this is the album for you. More rocky than most Miles albums with great guitar solos and driving funk basslines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miles come back disc, 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: Man With the Horn (Audio CD)
I had to buy this disc as somehow I appear to have lost the original. I was having a Miles evening and went to play it and could not find it anywhere, and it is actually of a standard that if you like Miles you should have it. It is not out of the top drawer but it is far from being lightweight. There is enough here in terms of composition and the quality of playing to justify this as being part of any decent Miles collection, so not just for completists, but not an essential for a more casual listener

5.0 out of 5 stars Introduction to Miles Davis ...., 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Man With the Horn (Audio CD)
I first heard this through a friend who had the album in 1982.
I'd vaguely heard of Miles Davis, knew that he was something big in jazz in the 50's and 60's. I was told he'd been off the scene for a while; been ill apparently. But why was Marcus Miller on this album?, I mused; after all, wasn't Miles Davis just some bebop head? To protestations proclaiming otherwise, I was expecting something out of the 1950's.
How wrong I was.
The infectious rhythm of 'Fat Time', courtesy of Marcus and Al Foster; the way it builds step by funky step, with Miles injecting his unique trumpet sounds along the way had me hooked by the first few bars. Bill Evans, then Mike Stern, both unknown (to me, anyway), lay down some HEAVY solos that just go on and on in a pure rock sound (had Miles gone for a coffee, I wondered). I liked it. What's next?
Then 'Back Seat Betty' opens with a growling guitar scream, Barry Finnerty using feedback like you never heard on a jazz cut. Once again the rhythm section drives the track along; it cruises with sly intent, rather than drives confidently down the road. Miles puts down a vibe. Then the guitar scream begins the next part, with Miles and Bill matching the anger in solos that never seem indulgent. By now I was entranced.
'Shout' always makes me think that's how Herb Alpert would sound if he'd lived in a project. But after the near 12 minutes of 'Betty', it's a welcome relief, really.
'Aida' follows; it grinds along with venom, as though bebop met 4/4 rock and kicked its ass by adapting all its moves.
The next track 'The Man With The Horn' sits VERY uneasily amongst all of this mayhem. That's the best I can say. Was it perhaps meant to be a hit single?
'Ursula' is what I'd been expecting all along. It's 11 minutes of pure bebop, electrified by Marcus' bass and Barry's fills and chops. Bill Evans provides the counter solo to Miles' muted trumpet, which drives the tune (and album) to an end that literally runs out of steam and stumbles to a stop.
After that first listen, I wanted to hear this album over and over again; man, this was real music! Miles Davis, yeah, of course I've heard of him .....
This album set the standard for the last part of his musical journey, it was a standard even he sometimes struggled to match, it's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars traveling miles #1 - his evolution of jazz by changing and "The Man with The Horn" -, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Man With Horn (Jpn) (Audio CD)
At that time rock music has come to the front and "Jazz music has been dying",Miles Davis said in his autobiography. Miles Davis has thought that he have to keep jazz music arrive so he was playing with Harbie Hancock,Ron Carter,Tonny Williams and Wayne Shorter. And thier jazz music were getting faster and faster just like the rain was gettig hard and hard. Yes! Miles had a something jazz music in view.As it were evolution,changing of jazz music and he was waiting for something next. At same years Bob Dylan shifted from acoustic guitar to electric guitar and he was singing "Like A Rolling Stone" at the top of his voice with suffering the storm of blaming. And Miles said "Free jazz music became powerful by white people's adulation." Miles Davis was seeking the way of jazz ,it is not free style but new style keeping tradition of jazz music to draw and charme young people. Existance of post contemporary jazz and leading the jazz music, these were his destiny and mission ,I think so.
At last it had come! Miles Davis found the way with Hancock,Shorter,Chick Corea,Keith,Zawinul,Weather Report... it was the way that jazz music fused into rock music. I think that the soul of jazz is peculiar rythm all black music has, weakness and strength of sound ,unique musical scale and improvisation. The new style of jazz music Miles Davis created was keeping tradition of jazz and fusing jazz into rock music by his own way.It has drawed the heart of young people and chermed again. After that I think that he left the destiny of jazz to something coming next after he has been keeping on playing and has not tired of creating not t improvisation of new style jazz. And the end of traveling of playing exciting and experimental improvisation,Miles has gone that he could not play trampet. Because he has become aware that he lost his natural taste of playing trumpet or his jazz style was not popular that time. And he has stopped his action of music for about 6 years. And I think these long silence of him means the long long days that he could not have his trumpet and he took a rest of his mind with suffering. He was on dope,drunk with women,his autobiography said. And I think his suffering means what he had to be waiting for next his big chance for long time. But I think that for 6 years he must get back his enegy and spirit to go ahead,he lost owing to long hard live performance on 70's,and he must remember his natural sound and he must find the way create his next new style to become the post contemporary jazz music again.
Well well well,I think I will talk about "The Man with The Horn". I think the natural sound of Miles Davis is not sheet sound but lyric and melodius taste and especially saying it is the taste of his beautiful mute play in ballad he created and played from "Bith of Cool" to 60's. And at last the time was ripe for his next action of changing.Miles Davis,he is burdened with a grave duty of post contemporary jazz and leading the jazz music,has released "The Man with The Horn" to the world on 1981. What a happy day that day was! I think I can say that day was the most happy day in 80's for the fun of Miles Davis all over the world.
In this way the king of jazz has rivived or he has rivived and has become the king of jazz both name and reality.
Though there are no A side and B side of CD.Individually,I liked listening B side of this record first. Because I think "Aida" means authority both jazz and rock music and this is the purpose of his revivel. He is playing this pop tune on light rock beat and the theme is brave,powerful and cool. "The Man with The Horn" is the title tune of this record. Miles comes his natural sound to life again by his finely lyric and melodius playing of beautiful ballad. The king has come back with the horn. The last tune is citified blues. And blues sound is important sound of jazz. Miles will form his new jazz blues in "Star People". First I wonder why Miles put "Fat Time" "Back Seat Betty" "Shuot" on A side of this lp.But when I listened this lp many times I think I wonder "Fat Time" means the time of ripe and the title of "Back Seat Betty" means that New Miles Band is driving with Betty and he is so happy! Betty is his wife's name,the girl of "FILLES DE KILIMANJARO"'s record jacket. Anyway I think this 2 tunes are what jazz music fuse into hard rock and have storong electlic base line and drum beat. And "Shout" is soulful pop tune like Michel Jackson. Yes! That's his new direction and way he get! And his evolution of jazz music by changing is keeping traditions of jazz and holding and protecting the element of all black music and fusing into contemporary music in the world. Stop my talking! Miles may become angry at too talking. Because you can understand his jazz music if you can listen "The Man With The Horn". And you can always listen his historical musical performance at the emotional day that the king of jazz had come back the world had being waited for.
P.S. This CD is original recoding remastered and in fact I think that the tone quality of this CD is very good! And I'm fond of red disk written MASTER SOUND and drawed the image of Miles by gold. I don't know but I think it is probable that Miles will necessarily like this because of good sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man with the Horn, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Man With the Horn (Audio CD)
Yes it was a great present for a friend. Miles Davies at his best. Would recommend the album, love the title!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles Davis at his best, 19 Jun 2013
Rocker Ray (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man With the Horn (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorate MD albumns, I had to have it in CD form even though I have the record, this is a great CD and as we all know MD done a lot for Jazz.

Man With the Horn
Man With the Horn by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 1993)