5.0 out of 5 stars Top drawer quality from start to finish
Not being a big Bryan Adams fan I bought this album because I was probably the only human being on the planet who WASN'T sick of "Everything I Do" when it spent 2 million weeks at number 1 and there's a WONDERFUL 6:34 version on the album.
Published on 28 Mar 2002 by M. D. Rathbone

3.0 out of 5 stars Turning point album, but in a good way or not?
I remember buying this when it came out and a bit put off by the Def Leppard feel. Having played Reckless to death some years before I had also stumbled across Into The Fire afterwards - not a commonly stocked CD in many stores at the time - and whilst not another Reckless, it was an album that had a real pull to it, although it was a BA album no one had seemingly heard...
Published 10 months ago by GWR Rowbottom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Top drawer quality from start to finish, 28 Mar 2002
M. D. Rathbone (Runcorn, Cheshire - UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
Then I slowly got into the rest of the album and loved all the singles that he released and wow, I was hooked, and this has remained one of my favourite albums ever since.
So why? Well, Mutt Lange (producer) influences are plentiful on this and there's more than a hint of "Def Leppard" feel on a number of these tracks, as he also produced their "Hysteria" album and had a hand in a few others, so you're guaranteed a treat if you're a rock fan.
Also there are no fillers on the album and despite its length (15 tracks) it never fades. Apart from the obvious track on it, there are some great soft rock classics such as "Can't stop this thing..." and "...Never be another tonight" as well as a gentler side with great feeling in tracks such as "Thought I'd died..." and "Vanishing". Also some humour in tracks such as "If you wanna leave me" and "Hey Honey..." which includes great lines such as "...gettin bored of microwave cookin/and you tellin me how awful i'm lookin/don't wanna hear how you gotta be thin/hey honey - I'm packin you in!" Great stuff!
Probably his best ever album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Bryan, 26 Dec 2003
Bright Spark (Liverpool, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
Five stars does not even begin to cover how much I love this album, it is by far my favourite of Bryan's albums...as I love the song 'Thought I'd died and gone to Heaven'. I would definately suggest adding this one to your collection!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album ever, 4 Jun 2002
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
I had heard everything i do on the radio and liked it so decided to buy this album. I wasn't really a Bryan Adams fan till i bought this album now he is my favourite artist ever . I now own all his albums due to the pure amazing excellent quality of this one album. Every song is different and equally brilliant and even after owning it a couple of years it never tires and the songs still remain as wonderful today as they did then. Everything i do didn't spend 18 weeks at number one without a reason,i still remember dancing to it at my school prom and it holds a special meaning to me. Depend on me, is ya mamma gonna miss ya, not guily, there will never be another tonight and house arrest are pure class pop/rock songs. I advise every Adams fan to buy it as it doesn't disappoint.Well done Bryan. You ROCK!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryan Adams Rocks Again, 3 Jan 2005
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
I originally brought this album on tape, but because I have played it so many times its starting to go, so I bought the CD.
I have played it upmteen million times and each time it gets better and better.
In my opinion this is the best Bryan Adams album I have ever heard him do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wakin up the neighbours, 23 Oct 2007
Antonio Pineda (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
This album was my introduction to the music of Canadian rocker Bryan Adams. I purchased it following the huge success of Everything I Do. Initially I was disappointed, for I had wanted more of the same - that is, I expected to find a CD full of ballads. There were indeed a few (such as the emotional Do I Have to Say the Words, the uplifting Thought I'd Died and Gone to Heaven and the reflective Vanishing) but on the whole, this album (already Adams' sixth, I was surprised to find out later) couldn't have been more different from what I was expecting.

Happily, the surprise turned out to be a pleasant one. Only a couple of plays later, I was humming (and even dancing!) along to the fast, loud and furious rhythms of such tracks as Not Guilty, House Arrest and Can't Stop this Thing we Started. There is not one filler on this CD - Adams has achieved the rare feat of releasing a meaty album, with every track a potential single.

On the strength of this album, I bought Adams' entire back catalogue and have collected future releases ever since. For me though, Waking Up the Neighbours remains to be his best effort and one that is never far away from my music player. I don't know about my neighbours, but it certainly woke me up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryan Adams is a right boy, 27 Feb 2001
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
This album is one of the best soft rock albums i have heard. It just proves how powerful rock tracks can be and how strong music can be. Some of the singles on this album make you feel warm inside and then others you should have on as loud as you can coming home from work in the car but must have the windows down. I highly recomend this album if you have a bit of spare money its worth investing in this C.D. In conclusion this album is sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, fun and rockin' tunes....., 31 Oct 2000
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
in my opinion, this is one of if not the best bryan adams albums. there is not one boring track on it, and every one sounds different. it is by far his most exciting album, there is never a dull moment and it is simply fun soft rock. the stand out tracks are 'is your mama gonna miss ya?', 'house arrest', 'can't stop this thing we started', and the brilliant 'everything i do, i do it for you.' the music and lyrics are great on this album, Adams really shows us what he can do. with 15 tracks it is great value for money, the album is fantastic (even if you're not a fan) and will surely have a long stay in your cd player! ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, but still great, 3 Oct 2005
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
Bryan Adams has a unique place in my heart - in recent years his work has been less enticing, but he will always remain great in my eyes since he was part of the soundtrack to my early teenage years, and in turn was partly responsible for shaping my musical tastes for years to come (I discoverd Nirvana later on, but I never abandoned Bryan). This was the very first album by the 'groover from Vancouver' that I bought (on tape, no less) - indeed, it was one of the first albums I EVER bought - and while back then I would pester my parents constantly for the right to play it in the car, when listening to it nowadays I have to say it hasn't quite aged perfectly.
The songs are traditional Bryan - part hard rock, part pop, part chunky classic rock, with enough hooks in there to catch a dozen great white sharks. They're always catchy, and sung with an enthusiasm that has set Bryan apart from other rock artists who've fallen by the wayside, though he has always had a tendency to fall into lyrical cliches rather too often. Still, most of the songs here really hit the mark, and there's a much fuller sound here than on 'Into The Fire' or 'Reckless'. And, of course, we all know what happened when he unleashed 'Everything I Do (I Do It For You)' onto the nation...
The main problem I have with this album is the production. Producer Mutt Lange is not subtle in his approach - big, heavy reverb washes over everything, and with the insistent pounding drums taking precedence over the guitar the result is a thumping wall of sound. This does work with Bryan's raw, rasping voice, and it's a different approach to production for Bryan - both 'Reckless' and 'Into The Fire' were very much guitar driven, not least on the classic 'Summer of '69', a song that still gives me chills whenever I hear that opening jangle. Where Lange's production lets Bryan down is in its complete and total lack of progression; this album was released in the early '90s, NOT 1987, yet it has a distinctly '80s feel to it. Small wonder, then, that when we look back at Mutt Lange's producing credits we find that in 1987 he produced a little album called 'Hysteria' for Def Leppard, and when we hear the backing vocals on the songs that comprise 'Waking Up The Neighbours' boy we sure can tell. Presumably they were meant to add weight to Bryan's songs, and when used sparingly they do, but when 'Cant Stop This Thing We Started' suddenly becomes inundated with heavy chanting it does tend to feel a little too much, detracting from what is otherwise a fantastic song (Lange later went on to produce Bryan's '18 Til I Die', arguably one of his worst albums).
Back in the early 90s, back when I was 13 going on 14, discovering music and girls; back then, when I first owned this record, I would have given this 5 stars without flinching. Somewhere in the mid-90s my musical tastes shifted, I became enamoured with Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden et al, and my opinion of this album then would have been that it was lacklustre, uninventive, and stale. Now, after many years of musical development and repeat listening, I'd have to say that, cliche-ridden though it is, and while it shows a complete disregard for contemporary production values, nevertheless this is exactly the kind of big, brash, catchy rock album that only Bryan Adams can make. In this modern age of throwaway trashy euro-pop featuring animated frogs, 'Waking Up The Neighbours' sounds refreshingly out of place, and all the better for it. In short: classic Bryan, heavy, catchy, irresistable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
This is a must have album for any Bryan Adams fan.
In my opinion this is his 2nd best album (behind MTV Unplugged).
Every song is good, absolutely NO filler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryan!, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Waking Up The Neighbours (Audio CD)
bought this for my hubby as he originally had this on lp. He was over the moon. excellent price and brilliant quality

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Waking Up The Neighbours
Waking Up The Neighbours by Bryan Adams (Audio CD - 1991)