5.0 out of 5 stars "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun...", 16 Oct 2007
C. O'toole "bigcon" (co. down N ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nothing Like The Sun (Audio CD)
I've just got back into the tantric one's music having had the benefitof seeing "The Police" playing live last week. Yes Mr Sumner can do no wrong but this is probably my favourite of his solo albums. The album opens with the jazz tinged "Lazarus Heart" guitar courtesy of Mr Andrew Summers no less. This is jazz inflected genius where the tempo shifts mid song due to exceptional bass and percussion."be still my beating Heart" is excellent "Englishman in New York" is quintissentially British and a marvel to behold. "History will teach us Nothing" is okay but "Fragile" is astoundingly beautiful We'll be together is funk at its best, "sister Moon" is Languid jazzy brilliance closely followed by an astounding version of "Little Wing" and is finished with by "The Secret Marriage" which was dusted off for the four weddings soundtrack. Sting is in fine musical form and in good company. Mark knopfler and Eric Clapton pop up through the album.
The sleevenotes are highly entertaining and eloquent. Sting advocated the quotation of Shakespeare to rid oneself of inebriates. When "accosted by a drunk in Notting Hill who demanded to know how full was the moon that night Sting replied that his Mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun." A Good answer" replied the drunk who lurched on like a "listing galleon" absolutely fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Sting - every song a winner...., 22 Oct 2001
rlasby@hotmail.com (Bournemouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nothing Like The Sun (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums of all time - the songs are classic, timeless. Sting's voice is reminiscent of the sunshine on a sultry summer's day; caressing your psyche into blissful lethargy (but maybe this is just me!) :)
I love 'Little Wing' too (best rendition I've heard in a long while), and 'Secret Marriage' is brief but breathtakingly beautiful. 'Fragile' may be overplayed, but you can see why - it is moving, haunting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Combining influences DOES work....., 21 July 2006
This review is from: Nothing Like The Sun (Audio CD)
This album is now nearly 20 years old, and although one or two tracks have dated a little, due to the excesses of 1980's production, as a previous reviewer has noted, the album as a whole is a very enjoyable ride, through a variety of styles. Its great Summer music, to have on in the background, chilling out in the garden.

Not perfect, but the most complete album by Sting, and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars "History WILL Teach Us ...", 16 Mar 2008
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nothing Like The Sun (Audio CD)
Sting's second studio album overall does not live up to the strengths of his first, but has many glittering gems nonetheless. Its sun in its title largely reflects past and present glories rather than illuminates future vistas. There's no doubting the strengths of the supporting session artists, many of which were used on the previous album. But this is quite a self-indulgent album. Opportunities have been wasted, and the production is a little disappointing. But I do not want to appear too negative: this is a very good album, beating many of his contemporaries hands-down with its subtle arrangements and thoroughbred lyricism.

So what of the songs themselves? The least appealing to me are the opening track "The Lazarus Heart"; the reggae "History Will Teach Us Nothing"; the Latino-edged "Fragile" (a good feel to the song but an uninspiring arrangement, despite the truth of lyrics such as "Nothing comes from violence and nothing ever could"); "Straight To My Heart" (complex but ultimately tedious rhythms and Sting's voice too far back in the mix); the hackwork "Rock Steady" (too steady - I'm bored now); and the limp, bland, unfinished closing track, "The Secret Marriage".

For me, the gems are "Be Still My Beating Heart" with its insistent rhythm and atmospheric piano; "Englishman In New York" with its pizzicato string beat and meandering high sax; the strangely hollow and colourless, yet moving "They Dance Alone" ("One day we'll dance on their graves": in the intervening twenty years time has been thankfully kinder to Latin America); "Sister Moon", an intimate but sparsely-produced song enhanced by a wailing saxophone; and "Little Wing", written by Jimi Hendrix and played with the Gil Evans orchestra. Of Jimi Hendrix I knew, of Gil Evans I did not - which may explain a lot - but what a wonderful change in atmosphere, with guitars, keyboards, sax, all so strangely beautiful; it was a shame to fade out so early.

I think much of the problem with this album is down to the sparse production sound. This is highlighted for me by the one track with a different producer (Bryan Loren instead of Neil Dorfsman), namely "We'll Be Together". Here there is an immediacy of sound that is more urgent and more active. If only the whole album were the same.

Still, I'm not complaining (much) and am happy to give this album the four stars it deserves. By the way, Sting, if you're reading this, "History will teach us ..." EVERYTHING!

5.0 out of 5 stars c.d review, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nothing Like the Sun (Audio CD)
Sting's Nothing Like The Sun I've had on L.P for years,decided to upgrade to C.D.In my view it's a superb piece of songwriting from an age when you understood what the artiste was actually singing.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best..., 22 Nov 2013
P. Mason "pymason" (Mid-Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nothing Like The Sun (Audio CD)
This is certainly one of my favourites, so ok i'm biased, but in my mind, it seems that a lot of Sting's earlier work leads to this album.
It's somehow complete in itself and beautifully crafted. One for the collection in my opinion...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nothing Like the Sun (Audio CD)
Bought this album as I had it when it was first released but lost it whilst moving house ! Brought back good memories !

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like the Sun, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Nothing Like the Sun (Audio CD)
The music of Sting I have always enjoyed and this is a great collection.I have listened over many years to Sting and The Police

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Nothing Like the Sun (Audio CD)
I have always liked Sting and used to have this on vinyl so was very pleased to get it on c.d. many years later. Unfortunately, the first track on the copy I bought wouldn't play properly so I had to return it but it was refunded with no problem and the replacement I bought is perfect. I would reccomend this to anybody who like Sting's 'Turtles' album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect., 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Nothing Like The Sun (Audio CD)
This is the second Sting's solo album and this remastered version makes it even better. The band is awesome and the songs are so soft and sofisticated.

ARRAY(0xaf383f30)

Nothing Like the Sun
Nothing Like the Sun by Sting (Audio CD - 1990)