5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Baez writes a really great song about her and Dylan
Published on 16 Nov 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer her earlier stuff
Published 12 months ago by wordsandpictures

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Baez writes a really great song about her and Dylan, 16 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
I have been mulling over the idea that "Diamonds & Rust" is the best folk album of the Seventies, and it has made me realize that I am always going to think of Bob Dylan as being a folksinger even when his guitar is electric. So I would still give the nod to "Blood on the Tracks," especially since that is where Joan Baez's cover of "Simple Twist Of Fate" comes from. But I have no problem with the idea that this is the best Joan Baez album and no doubt whatsoever that "Diamonds & Rust" is her greatest accomplishment as a songwriter...
Of course the song is about Dylan "the unwashed phenomenon"; what else would make more perfect sense? More importantly, the elegance of the dichotomy offered by those two words is simple genius, which inspires instant recognition on the part of the listener. My biggest compliment that would be "Diamonds & Rust" is the best Dylan songs not written by Dylan. Baez has never sounded any better than she does on this album. In addition to the title song my other favorites are "Hello In There" and "Jesse." The argument can certainly be made by armchair psychologists that the title song was an important catharsis for Baez, which could explain the dramatic improvement in both her songwriting and singing. The latter is probably less obvious simply because Baez and Judy Collins were the standards by which all female folk singers were judged in the Sixties and Seventies. But I think it is obvious that her rich soprano voice with its distinctive vibrato never sounded better. Still, that title song is just so impressive. I would have to say it is one of the ten best songs of the Seventies.
Yes, "Tangled Up in Blue" would also be on that list on diamonds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece of moving love songs, 30 Nov 2002
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
Masterpiece of moving love songs
This elegant album is a seamless blend of her own and others' literate but moving love songs and just a nod to her folk roots in the medley of I Dream Of Jeannie/Danny Boy. She covers songs by Jackson Browne, Stevie Wonder, Dylan, John Prine and others, while contributing her beautiful own compositions like the title track, Children And All That Jazz, Winds Of The Old Days (reminiscent of Gulf Winds) and Dida. Her interpretation of Browne's Fountain Of Sorrow is particularly poignant, and so is Jesse, the Janis Ian song. Another classic is the reflective Winds Of The Old Days. Unlike some of her ventures into the art song in the 1980's, this album really works, as she sings with warmth and conviction and make the songs her own. Diamonds and Rust is a successful move away from her pure folk roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best......, 21 April 2006
Mr. B. May "Brian May" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
Having bought the single way back in the 70's when it was first released and heard what seemed the fashionable comment at the time that "some records were too good for the charts" I wanted to buy the album when funds permitted. No disappointments - this is a classic that doesn't waste a track. Different in style to other albums that Joan Baez has done but more than worth hearing and at a fantastic price. Buy, play, enjoy, you will not regret.

4.0 out of 5 stars DIAMONDS AND RUST DELIVERS..., 19 Feb 2003
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
This is an excellent CD from a more mature Joan Baez. Her own musical composition, "Diamonds and Rust", which is the signature song on the CD, is simply outstanding, both lyrically and melodically. Couple it with her own glorious set of pipes, and what one has is a winner! It is simply a beautiful song, sung beautifully.
This CD clearly shows a transition from the more folk based earlier CDs to one which is a little more contemporary in feel, with lusher and, yes, more commercial musical arrangements. There, I said it. Which is not to imply that it is bad. It is simply a change and a different direction than that which had been previously taken by Ms. Baez. Best of all, it works!
Clearly, she can make the transition to a wider audience in this fashion, and she deserves to be heard by as many people as is possible, such is her talent. This CD holds many pleasant surprises in store for the listener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory Lane or what?, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
I have to confess that I have just purchased this off a well known rival site for a mere 1.86! It takes me right back to 1976 when I first heard the vinyl version and played it over and over again. Couldn't afford to buy it at the time, but did manage to tape it (ahem!), a version long since lost. It may be rather over produced in the American style of the time (echoes of Carpenters perhaps). But who can't fail to be blown away by Joan's amazing soprano voice. Almost a dictionary definition of absolute clarity.

The only two US albums that come anywhere close to this in terms of performance and song quality are Carole King's TapestryTapestry and Don McLean's (just received Radio 2 Folk Awards lifetime achievement award) American PieAmerican Pie. Absolutely unforgettable, and for me, an instant trip back to the "long hot summer" of 1976 when I still had a full head of hair.

Not as wonderful a voice as the late great Sandy Denny No More Sad Refrains: The Anthology, but that is another story altogether. This is Joan at her best, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
I love this album. it is a combination of many things: from sentiment through to satyrical evaluation of the media.

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer her earlier stuff, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
I bought this mostly for the superb title track, and perhaps the rest of the album will grow on me over time but I must admit I prefer her earlier folk style, not least because it showed off her voice far better than the songs on this album. It put me in mind of Kiri te Kanawa singing selections from West Side Story - her voice just isn't suited to that kind of music. 'Jesse' is a superb song, but I much prefer Janis Ian's version. Maybe I'm just an old stick-in-the-mud, but there is a huge backlist of superb folk songs that Baez could have continued to cover, playing to her main strength - her superb voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Joan Baez, 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant record and if you've been thinking about delving into the world of 70s folk/political music then for 4 I recommend trying out Ms Baez.
Diamonds & Rust is probably more accessible than some of her other albums but you get to hear her amazing voice and great cover versions. There are other artists who seem to have been more commercially successful over the years but give Joan a try and I'm sure she'll win you over.
I think I'll leave it here and just let you try it out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raining diamonds...., 4 Feb 2009
R. Schweizer "Bob and Rose" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
Such beautifully poetic lyrics poignantly sung with crystalline precision. We are enjoying this no end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album showing Joan Baez in an entirely new light, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Diamonds & Rust (Audio CD)
Fantastic album showing Joan Baez in an entirely new light. Wonderful music, songs, arrangements - andit's worth buying the album to hear her impression of Bob Dylan!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Diamonds & Rust
Diamonds & Rust by Joan Baez (Audio CD - 2003)