Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 August 2009
I'm still working my way through this one. I think it represents excellent value for what is probably a landmark jazz album. It isn't as discordant as I was led to believe and I find it pleasant but not outstanding and certainly not the Greatest Jazz Album of all time as one Amazon poll recently claimed. Nonetheless, I'd recommend purchasing this to anyone developing their knowledge of jazz.
on 17 September 2014
The man that took me from rock/pop/folk/blues in 1966, in an instant. I heard his 'Live At The Blue Circle, Stockholm' and was knocked sideways when I was 15 years old. Then I bought this album. I consider this album to be in the top five of the most important, ('seminal' is the word they use, I believe), LPs of all musical history. 'Lonely Woman' is the one that I would save on my desert island. Of course I have always had a copy of this music but lost my original vinyl yonks ago. This I have bought to frame and hang on the wall.
on 17 April 2012
Recent TV programme was so right to include this as one of the five most influential jazz albums of all time. But not in my collection, so bought from Amazon quickly!. 'Lonely Woman' is hauntingly melodious and addictive - try getting it out of your head - and should lead one on to listen to the MJQ's version on their eponymous album. The playing is superb - was Coleman ever as good again within his 'melodic jazz' phase?
on 5 November 2000
this sounds like a guide book to jazz for the decades which followed it, but one of those guide books which doesn't show you everything you think you need to know, and which leaves so many things uncovered, and maks you do the thinking for yourelf, and has such an impact that anything you experience after it just won't be the same. pretty poor sort of guide book, in other words, bu it makes for a great record.
on 2 March 2014
Unrestrained, innovative, creative and sublime moments. Breaking new ground for the time - try it - it is brilliant no matter what your personal taste if you love listening to an artist immersed and breaking boundaries within the most limited of resources - here is your man.
on 17 March 2013
As stated in another review I am needing to listen to and expand on my jazz collection. Heard about this via BBC special on the Jazz albums that changed the shape of jazz to come in 1959 now I know why it is one of the albums featured. Listen to this.
on 21 July 2015
I bought this out of curiosity- he was praised by musicians I rate- and the harmonies on Lonely Woman blew me away. I'll listen to the rest of the album soon. Definitely.
on 18 April 2012
Ornette Coleman is mostly just beyond my taste in Jazz. (John Coltrane is mostly within my taste satisfaction range). The Shape of Jazz To Come, certainly demonstrates Coleman's mastery of the alto and a capability in improvisation. It is not one of the completely unstructured bits of Free Jazz that just demonstrates ability in the player but provides no satisfaction to my ears. Also it has a well toned cornet player (Donald Cherry) who provides compact and well driven solos.
My real problem is with Ornette Coleman's solos. He starts well with aggression and directness but then he drifts into whiffling (idly puffing the alto seemingly having lost his sense of direction), so the tracks all seem a bit too long.
To summarize; I can tell the album has merit and is 'worthy', but I do not enjoy it.
Please note I purchased the album thinking 'It is time I came to terms with Ornette Coleman', so there may be mild disappointment that it failed to achieve this for me.
on 15 March 2013
This album was reviewed on a BBC program and seemed to be worth a listen so I purchased it . It is a work of genius.
on 9 January 2015
Bought as a Christmas gift for my jazz loving husband. It is a great uplifting listen!