Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 November 2000
News of the world was always spoken of as "Queen's answer to punk" and even Roger Taylor described it as "with a lot of harder stuff on it, slightly more raw..." Until I listened to it, I was expecting a watered down Queen, little production, 11 songs in the "Sheer Heart Attack" mould. Therefore, I was shocked to find that the album is as diverse as ever, and (though in parts, slightly less over-produced than its predecessors) just as well made as Jazz, which followed. Some of the songs are simply beautiful, others a bit less easy on the ear. The first two songs need no introduction, We Will Rock You (before its mauling at the hands of 5ive) and We are the Champions are still as brilliant as they ever were, and Roger Taylor's Sheer Heart Attack (years ahead of its time, as it was written about the same time as the album of the same name) is essentially a fast-paced punk delivery of a hard hitting song. Then comes the first of Brian May's offerings. Having always thought of May as the Stadium Rock composer of the band (take a trawl through greatest hits I&II and you'll see what I mean) I have been recently blown over by his brilliance as an overall writer. Having listened to things like 'Dear Friends', 'Teo Torriate', 'leaving home ain't easy' etc, I was delighted to hear "All Dead, All Dead". The slightly macabre title gives way to a lovely ballad, with careful harmonies from Freddie in the background. It's under-produced in parts, but it comes across strongly. May's Sleeping on the Sidewalk harks back to the great days of Rock 'n' roll, and is a nostalgic track down memory lane for the older listeners. The last of May's offerings, It's Late, which comes in as the third longest Queen song ever, is a fairly heavy work, and takes some getting into, though in parts is a beauty. Roger Taylor doesn't excel himself on this album, indeed, it would take till the 80's for him to really write what could be termed as a great song, but Fight From the Inside is a fairly powerhouse track, and good for Taylor fans, one of which I can't count myself as. John Deacon seems to endlessly amaze me. First, the feel-good rock of Spread Your Wings, with a superb vocal line from Mercury, and then the fantastic "Who Needs You" which is an absolute gem, from start to finish. A look back to the Queen sound of "Night at the Opera" and "Day at the Races", superb. Mercury's songs are varied. Though We are the Champions is brilliant, everyone knows, Get Down, Make Love struggles a lot to get off the ground, and parts of it would appear a year later in the form of the much better "Let me Entertain You". However, "My Melancholy Blues" is a quite wonderful blues pastiche, with Mercury taking over to show what a varied and wonderful writer he is. All in all, a worthwhile listening experience, though the "punk" elements do show through a little too much on a few numbers. Good stuff though, from start to finish.
on 20 December 2015
The transaction was successful. I would recommend
on 23 July 2014
Excellent and good service thanks steve
on 13 June 2015
this is my favorite album, I love it.
on 17 January 2015
i am more and happy with this order
on 12 July 2014
the quality of the cd is excellent
on 13 August 2014
Queen at their best. Recommended
on 4 May 2012
This stands out in the Queen collection for me as one of my favourites.

Most Queen albums seem to suffer from an element of inconsistency, their range of influences and styles is evident on most albums and possibly puts some people off from hailing them as classics.

Queen are known worldwide for their hit singles - but for me its the album tracks that are far more interesting.

Of particular note is the playful 'Who needs you' the cynical "punk" of 'sheer heart attack' and my favourite Queen song - 'Its late'.

Having heard the anthemic duo of We will rock you & We are the champions (both deliberately written as anthems for sporting audiences)so many times its hard to look at them objectively with fresh eyes as great songs that open a great album.

'Spread your wings' is fairly middle of the road but still a great singalong song.

The quality of the songs fades in the middle, 'fight from the inside' & 'get down make love dont' do much for me - but there again it is a queen album so expect some duds!

Also I love the cover artwork - check out the albums entry on wikipedia for more info.

Overall - deservedly one Queen better albums!
on 17 February 2012
As all of the 2011 remasters the sound is great and the is no problems with the sound at all. As for the music you have classics such as "We will rock you" and "We are the champions" which everyone should know are great Queen anthems. There are many underrated songs which is a mystery to my why they never became such a success such as the John Deacon's "Spread your wings" and May's "It's late". There are other songs which might not be ones you will play over and over such as "Who needs you" "Sleeping on the sidewalk" and "All dead, All dead" but are nevertheless great songs. Taylor's contribution to this album is brilliant with the songs "Sheer heart attack" and "fight from the inside" which really remind us of Roger's theme of rebellion. Lastly the Freddie songs leave the listening feel really empathetic with the soft ballad of "My melancholy blues" and the sexual "get down make love" which is always a live classic. Overall a major turning point for the band which deliver thematic work which is smart and gives a mix of different moods.
on 17 December 2014