5.0 out of 5 stars GRACEFUL SONIC SCULPTURES
Published on 26 May 2003 by Peter Uys

3.0 out of 5 stars 80's throwback
Having heard OMD live recently supporting Simple Minds, I remembered that they had a good collection of tracks, so bought this. If you like OMD, you will like this stuff.
Published on 20 Feb. 2010 by Bill Crawford

5.0 out of 5 stars GRACEFUL SONIC SCULPTURES, 26 May 2003
Peter Uys "Toypom" (Sandton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
There's not much difference between OMD's Best Of and their Singles collection. All the real classics like Maid Of Orleans, Joan Of Arc, Electricity, Souvenir and Tesla Girls appear on both and those few tracks that are different are not their best. So if you prefer We Love You, La Femme Accident and Genetic Engineering to Sailing On The Seven Seas, Dream Of Me and Walking On The Milky Way, go for this one! You will still get their more experimental first outings like Electricity plus their spacey, magnificent later work from Architecture And Morality. OMD was one of a slew of original UK synth-duo's that emerged in the early 1980s, along with Yazoo, Eurythmics and Soft Cell. OMD's mark of distinction is their elegant, almost classical structures and mournful moods, best demonstrated by Joan Of Arc and Maid Of Orleans. They were the architects of some truly remarkable and timeless sound sculptures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sonic sculptures, 2 Jun. 2006
Peter Uys "Toypom" (Sandton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Best Of (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 17 Jun. 2006
Iceni Peasant (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
Until recently I knew nothing much about OMD. I had heard of them and that was it. Then I found up an old 7" vinyl of "Maid Of Orleans" and I was totally intrigued....I also wanted to hear the song in full without the needle jumping over a large scratch!

This CD was my first choice, hoping to learn more about OMD's style of music. It IS a great overview with the range of ways they presented their music. While feeling very 1980's-synthersizer-age, there are some excellent tracks on the CD.

Arguably the best tracks include "Maid Of Orleans" and tracks like "We Love You", and "Genetic Engineering". There are always clever lyrical references, catchy rhythms and overall it's a nice album to listen to in the background.

I was really unsure about buying an entire album of OMD, but for the price this has been an excellent value purchase. If like me you'd never really heard their music, now is the time to try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent and timeless collection., 3 Feb. 2006
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
OMD are quite possibly my favourite band ever. Why? Simply put, this band can write intelligent songs and accompany them with sweet, unusual and powerful melodies. It also makes me sad knowing great music like this is ignored in favor of the terrible mainstream rubbish you find in the shops these days.
OMD were a very busy band in the 1980s, releasing hit after hit after hit, beginning in 1979 with "Electricity" which secured a place on the top 100 list. Shortly after the release of their self-titled debut album, OMD enjoyed greater success with "Maid of Orleans" and "Enola Gay" while "Souvenir" became their biggest hit yet, peaking at #3 on the UK charts.
In America, OMD found moderate success with "So in Love" and the ballad "If You Leave" which was included on the Pretty In Pink soundtrack. The latter track is also featured on a new commercial, so listen out for it.
Music lovers should have this CD in their collection. It really is one of the best albums you'll ever hear. At first you may find Andy McClusky's vocals a bit unbearable, but I recommend this gem nevertheless. Paul Humphreys, Andy McClusky, Martin Cooper and Malcolm Holmes are going to reform this year, so I'm looking very forward to a DVD release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electricity (& other Great Hits), 7 Dec. 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
For me, the synth hooks of OMD's Electricity and Messages remain so quintessentially 80's synth pop - the world and music that I grew up with and unlike most of the stuff released then, I still play, almost on an unhealthily regular basis!

These perfect pop songs literally bubble with jauntiness and danceability (you try and sit perfectly still during Messages! yet remain proper songs with lyrics that mean something and their lasting testament is profound - you could have one of those BBC 'these were the 80's' with old news footage and nice clear-cut Mr Clusky as the soundtrack...

Quality does not dip by the time we get to the hits from the incredibly fine 'Architecture & Morality' LP, which when I bought as an LP was (almost) my most treasured posession, starting with the catchy Enola Gay, a seemingly innocent song about a very un-innocent and climactic event (bombing of Horishima) and then the beautifully atmospheric Souvenir, followed by, as in the order they appeared on the album previously mentioned, by Joan of Arc and then Maid Of Orleans.

Joan Of Arc is (again) one of the absolute greats from any era, at least to me and I'm sure, to many people my age. It soars, it moves and it is sung and performed superbly, the atmospheric and often inventive instrumentation almost orchestral in its portrayal of real instruments and rather symphonically, it leads to a heady climax - and then, like the subject of the song, unfolds slowly and very beautifully.

The electronic pipe organs and drum patterns plus that deep pulsating bass that make up the rhythmic pattern throughout Maid Of Orleans make this this track a totally memorable one, with Mc Clusky finishing his almost pained and heart-rending vocals quite early, as the track then builds on the instrumental themes, expanding the sonic landscape, which always had me in total awe - and which still manages to do today.

Maybe because I was so into Architecture & Morality and not quite sure why I didn't buy another OMD product after it, (not until this CD compilation, actually, decades later) I don't feel so much affinity with the remaining tracks. They just seem more throw-away, less good, with the rather annoying repetitious beat of Tesla Girls immediately getting a 'skip track' instinct but things do get better by Locomotion though for me at least, the next outstanding track is Talking Loud & Clear. So In Love is quite soulful and has some great sax work but Secret is an absolute waste of space and time, sounding so much like a very poor Pet Shop Boys number - and then it's generally misses from me until the brilliant Forever Live & Die.

Yes, you could get the original CD of Architecture & Morality and you'd probably most of the best of what OMD ever did - in my opinion, it is an essential album anyway, but Electricity comes from their debut self-titled album and Messages from their 2nd album 'Organisation' and whilst these albums are great for OMD fans, these hits do tend to stand head and shoulders above the other tracks.

There are other OMD compilations that have been released since but I have no interest in them and since this CD gets played more often than the vast majority in my extensive collection, it's fine by me, though, as I've highlighted, not all the tracks create Electricity to pulse through me...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Singles Collection, 14 Sept. 2010
K. Tune "mustard57" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
OMD are releasing their first album for 18 years, and after hearing Andy McLuskey interviewed on Radio Two I was prompted to put this on for the first time in a long time.

And it's great.

What makes their music really stand out are the extremely good melodies, the drama and structure in their arrangements, and the intelligence of their subject matter. It's a real joy to listen to it on CD after having grown up with cassettes.

Additionally, their experimental edge does provide an extra frisson. This band went to the Stanlow oil refinery to record sounds featured on their second album. I really enjoy the mysterious sounds on the intro to Joan of Arc.

I'm not sure they were a great albums band but the singles from Architecture and Morality, and Junk Culture are really the sound of a band at the top of the game. They shouldn't be dismissed as boring synth poppers as I'm sure I hear real drums on Joan of Arc, steel drums ( certainly ) on Locomotion, and an oboe on Talking Loud and Clear.

I personally rather like 'So in Love' and 'Secret' from the tail end of their career. I don't remember the 'Crush' album being that good, but quite a few people seem to like it, so maybe I'll give it another go.

If this album had finished at track 12, it would be a five star review. Sadly If You Leave, Forever Live and Die and the quite dire Dreaming show that good things don't last forever. The curio 'Genetic Engineering' from the rather challenging 'Dazzle Ships' album is banished to the end of the album, but should be restored alongside Telegraph and its rightful place in the chronology. Oh, and where's 'Red Frame / White Light', their second single, and ode to a local telephone box.

Anyway, if you want to spend 45 min listening to some great pop songs, buy this album and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Techno Instrumental, 27 May 2001
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
Why the Hell (forgive me Joan of Arc) today music is not like this ?. You can be mod, pop or classic music fan but everybody should have an empty space on his/her shelves for this jewel of the 80's and early 90's music. I can listen to this CD for hours, for ages and never be tired. Specially if you are sad or have a special dinner. From the hit "Joan of Arc" to "Enola Gay" or "Secret" or "Tesla Girls" or ... "Genetic Engineering" quite appropiate for this Dolly sheep times. "Locomotion" for those who love travelling. "If You Leave" for lost lovely moments... Each song could have a special moment in your life. Men and Women, those who miss great instrumental music with class voices helping to raise the very Best moments, I recommend this CD. Thanks to Andy and Paul and all their band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of OMD, 11 April 2009
Vicky Welsby (NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
I was a massive fan of OMD way back in the early 80s and have stayed a massive fan of them ever since. I actually bought this on cassette when it first came out in 1988 and later replaced it with this CD (probably in about 1990). It contains all of their big hits from 1978 to 1988. In their early days, OMD didn't seem to follow the standard verse-bridge-chorus-verse style of writing of their songs, which made them different. To be honest, the fact that they were different is probably what made me such a big fan. While most other bands were doing the slushy love stuff, these guys were singing about their local telephone box, genetic engineering, the atom bomb and Joan of Arc.

After the Dazzle Ships album in 1983, they seemed to get a bit more timid about trying something different and became a bit more safe and standardized and, although still quite experimental compared to a lot of other bands and it was still great music, it was a bit more mainstream than their earlier stuff.

The best song, for me, has to be Maid of Orleans, which the band weren't actually going to put on the Architecture and Moralilty album and changed their minds at the last minute, it turned out to be one of their biggest singles. The instrumentation on it is superb and I still think it's is one of the best songs to come out of the 1980s.

All in all, if you're new to OMDs music, then I'd start with either this or their 1981 album, Architecture and Morality, which will give you a great idea as to what they're all about. After the departure of Paul Humphreys, Martin Cooper and Malcolm Holmes in 1989, although the music was still great, it just wasn't quite the same. This is, by far, the best collection you'll find of OMD.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting options, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
At the time of release this was a very complete collection, that still sounds good today. A must have,

HOWEVER, a very interesting option is the Architecture + Morality DVD. Nearly all the tracks are included, and are performed to a very high standard, at their. famous Hammersmith Apollo concert.

Better still it is their classic line up.

5.0 out of 5 stars best of OMD, 5 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Best of OMD (Audio CD)
Very Good value bought CD for my son - a great fan . I throughly enjoyed listening to it as it was the first time I had heard them and went onto buy tickets for both of us for their live performance at The Colston Hall Bristol on 31st October which was Fantastic we had a great time I would have missed this if not for listening to the CD Thankyou

The Best of OMD
The Best of OMD by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (Audio CD - 1988)