5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Songs !
I myself, was not familiar with Niel Diamond before this Album.
Although my mother tongue language is not English, I have gotten such a great connection with this work, so I believe that the tongue of our souls is a unique and unbounded tongue.
Published on 8 Jun. 2005 by Farnam

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the book but...
Must admit I am a bit disappointed. Love the book, love the lyrics but ... maybe Neil's voice is just not the one I imagined. Pity!
Published on 25 Aug. 2006 by PJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Songs !, 8 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
I myself, was not familiar with Niel Diamond before this Album.
I rank it as THE BEST vocal sings in English I ever heard. I feel an heavenly inspiration in all pieces , specially "Lonely looking Sky" that is wonderful. Melodies, Compositions, Harmonics, great performance with a 120+ Orchestra, Heavenly voice of Niel Diamond, all together produced such a master piece.

I think, if Niel Diamond and all other members of the band have performed just an album in their artistic life, that is "Jonathan" , their workbook is sufficient shiny for all their life that needs no other score.
An additional note: This is a really price-less work ! you will have a treasure just with afew bucks !

5.0 out of 5 stars Jonathan Lives!, 11 Nov. 2003
This is one of those albums you rarely come across - pure class! It's both for those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't, or in most cases say they don't cause they think it's cheesy! There's nothing cheesy about this piece of work and it proves that Neil's more than a mere singer/song writer, the man can compose beautiful music. I read the book as a child, and imagined every movement of Jonathan in flight, the excitement, the danger, the sadness. The music brings him even more to life. Try reading the book and listening to the music together, it's magical. There's a bit of Jonathan in everyone and what better way to live out that part of you, than to the wonderful, uplifting and exhilirating music that IS this album! If you loved the book you'll love the music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying High, 4 April 2007
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
Is it any coincidence that the exquisite album that preceded this one, ("Moods") was produced by Tom Catalano, Arranged & Conducted by Lee Holdridge and Engineered by Armin Steiner? Why you may ask. Well, the same trio did exactly the same on this album and turned out yet another masterful production.

As concept albums go, this had a head start with Richard Bach's excellent book. (Shame about the film) I say concept rather than soundtrack because the film doesn't warrant such recognition.

The music here is sumptuous, and for that, Lee Holdridge deserves a lot of credit for his involvement. How such a magnificent piece of work can be attributed to just one man seems unjustified.

However, as for the music, it captures you from the opening note to the final fade. It is a complete piece that is best judged by listening to it in its entirety. There aren't a lot of songs to list as in a conventional album, but those on offer are superb. Be, Lonely Looking Sky and the almost hymn like Dear Father, are offerings of the highest calibre. The jaunty Skybird offers something refreshing and different. All fit in nicely with the sum of the whole.

This is definitely one for the headphones where you immerse yourself in its beauty. Swooping and soaring as the mood and tempo takes you off on a flight way above the clouds and into the sun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neil Diamond at his alternative best, 26 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
This another fasset of Neil Diamond, this album is almost all instrumental, with the addition of very haunting vocals, feel the seagull take you swooping high into the clouds and then drops you almost into the waves....... this to me has a religous feel to it there are hymns chants and anthems to get lost in, if your in a reflective mood orin need of solance then let this album take you to the place you need to be high above the world so you can look down and see where you need to go. the Album is a must for any Neil Diamond fan as it is very different from what we have come to expect from him .. all i can say is excellent!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The outer reaches of existentialism, 26 Nov. 2005
John Howes "Jonboy" (Dartmoor, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
I read the book, and then saw the film and finally acquired the music. I am not an emotional person but every time I listen to this I range from gooseflesh to a feeling of extreme peace.
This has to be his finest work.

5.0 out of 5 stars neil close to god, 7 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
neil diamond coms close to finding god here...his music is in fact bringing you on a soft but determined way to a state of inner reflection and deep joy. you dont have to believe in god.
this record brings man, his dreams and believes strongly together
when you listen to this cd in 2002, you ll see that this is a true masterpiece, it is truely timeless and a real joy for ever...
we can only thank neil for that. so buy it. if you havent already...

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless...., 26 May 2006
Be, as a page that aches for a word which speaks on a theme that is timeless... Do you know words that sum up this CD better? I don't. As others before me, I started with the book, then saw the film and after that it was a must to buy the CD. It is absolutely wonderful and it has something of a healing quality for me. And the sequence 'dear father, we dream, we, dream, we dream... while we may' sums up our lives in a beautiful way. And if this CD ever breaks, I will for sure buy a new one on the spot. I know a lot of music written and sung by Neil Diamond, but this is his best for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamond Flying High, 26 May 2008
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
It's good to see the renewed interest in Neil Diamond's work. Although most people know him via his hits during the 60s, 70s and early 80s, this album is completely different from most of his other recordings.

I heard this album the first time a few years after its release and despite a young age got hooked on it. My mother introduced it to me and the constant playing practically burned it in my mind. The choice of the song Skybird became almost a no-brainer at her recent funeral. It has a majestic feel all over, as if it flew over the musical landscape of its period, and probably would do the same even if being released today. One could claim that it gave signals of the new age sound that later developed. In other words, it has aged remarkably well.

Anyone who has any of his compilations and actually listens to them should not let this Jonathan Livingston pass them by. Even those who do not have any interest in Diamond's other work may enjoy this album. It is timeless and a constant pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars One more irresistible album, 8 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
I purchased this album very recently having loved the songs I had heard Neil sing in concert, but wondering whether I would like the rest of the instrumentals. As usual I needn't have worried once again it was musical magic and loved instantly. It would give myself any many more fans I expect a great thrill if Neil would turn his hands to more film scores. Please carry on with the magic you create when you put your pen to paper, pick up your guitar. and sing from the heart. Love your music

5.0 out of 5 stars By far Neils best album, 3 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Audio CD)
This for me is Neils best ever album all the tracks are well thought out and melodically beautiful.
The film which this ablum was written benifits alot from Neils work.
This album aslo won an oscar of which is truely deserved.
Tracks like Dear Farther are really tear inducing and some just make you smile like skybird.
Overall this album is well rounded in my opinion there are no bad tracks at all.
Truely Neil Diamond at his best!
Craig Giles

Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Lee Holdridge (Audio CD - 1992)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available