5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Album
Published on 2 Jan 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Like a Guilty Pleasure out of Hell
The main quibble for this record seems to be the below par singing ability of Jim Steinman, compared to Meat Loaf. So when I listened to the album for the first time I tried forget that it was going to be a Meat loaf album, but instead appraise the record on it's own merits.
Unfortunately I found that to be an impossible task; it just sounds too much like "Bat out...
Published 8 months ago by Jimi jac

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Album, 2 Jan 2005
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
For a while now I have liked some of the work of both Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler. One day I noticed that the songs I liked by each artist were written by the same man, Jim Steinman. I therefore searched Amazon in the hope of finding something by Jim Steinman and I luckily found this album. Jim has a good voice. It is not as strong as Meat Loaf's or as gritty as Bonnie Tyler's voice, but it is good in its own way none the less. Each song is classic Jim Steinman and I have come to prefer this album to the stuff by Bonnie Tyler and Meat Loaf. That is how good this album is!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and a MUST-have for all Todd Rundgren fans too!, 30 Mar 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
I too had this album on vinyl when first released (and I'm slowly but surely building up a CD back-catalogue of all my old favourites)and happily was given this as a belated Christmas present from my Wish List. It's as gloriously OTT as I remember, and am having a whale of a time trying to pick out Todd Rundgren's backing vocal tracks and guitar contributions.
PS This album deserves WAY more than 5 stars - this goes up to 11, Tap fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars AS GOOD AND BAD AS BAT OUT OF HELL, 26 May 2003
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
Meat Loaf's collaborator Jim Steinman tried here to equal the incomparable Bat Out Of Hell and he nearly succeeded. It's mighty impressive album with the same grand rock orchestration as Bat and although Steinman's voice isn't quite as vast and melodramatic as Meat Loaf's, he certainly gives it all he's got. The result is a magnificent rock classic with grand passionate ballads like the title track, flowing rock ballads like Lost Boys And Golden Girls, the hilarious spoken Love And Death And An American Guitar with its rock clichés and the straightforward rock of Stark Raving Love that reprises some lyrics from the title track. Out Of The Frying Pan is a brooding number with nervous guitar and sparkling touches of piano, whilst Surf's Up is a more gentle ballad where his voice soars on the loveliest lyrical imagery. The tempo speeds up dramatically for Dance In My Pants, a buzz of a party song in the form a conversation a female vocal and Steinman, very much like Bat Out Of Hell's Paradise By The Dashboard Light with solo and duet parts, rolling piano, nervous drumming, soaring vocals and a killer melody line. The passionate ballad Left In The Dark, a tale of regret and betrayal with a spoken intro and exit, concludes this blockbuster of an album on a rather mournful note. Albums like Bat Out Of Hell only comes around once in a lifetime but as for overall sound this is as near a carbon copy as is possible. Having said that, the songs are all hook-laden, gripping pieces of rock 'n roll mini-operattas. Now if Meat Loaf were to record this album in its entirety, the results would be more than interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars BAD FOR GOOD -THE SECOND ALBUM MEAT LOAF SHOULD HAVE DONE!, 29 Jan 2000
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
When Jim Steinman and Meat Loaf stopped working together it was a killing made in heaven or hell. This was always going to to Meat Loaf's second album. Bad For Good was and still is his true second album after his first album Bat Out Of Hell album! A few of the songs on Bad For Good have turned up on later Meat Loaf albums but it is here that Steinman wished to have all these songs together. It is here you feel the same things found in the Bat Out Of Hell album. This is the second part of this great story of love. As a big fan of Steinman and Meat Loaf you must or should have had Bad For Good right next to Bat Out Of Hell. Its a little old these days but then again so is Bat Out Of Hell too and we all have that on our CD's don't we!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad For Good is very good!, 22 April 2001
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
Should have been Meatloaf's Bat II, but its great to listen to Jim's way of singing it as he wanted it to sound.Dance in my Pants, is Paradise part II. Bad for Good is one song Meat should have had! Every song is is worthy of Jim Steinman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought back fantastic memories, 11 July 2003
stacey harvey (rochester, kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
I had this 'record' when I was about 13 and now I'm 35 !! It brought back all sorts of wonderful memories (wish I was still a teenager !) Lost the record and wanted to get it back for ages but couldn't find it anywhere, so was thrilled when I found it here. Thought the memory might be better than the reality, but was thrilled when it wasn't, this is still as wonderful as it was years ago. Jim is fantastic. I got the 'record' from somewhere (???) and heard him way before I discovered Meatloaf and think he's far better. Still know every word to every song, which is amazing after 22 years ....... Love it to bits !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius that is Steinman, 12 Mar 2004
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
I bought Bad for Good on vinyl (with the free single Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through) when it was first released. I have recently bought a copy on cd (no record player) and have fallen madly in love with it all over again. If you liked Bat out of Hell then this will surely have you euphoric. The drama of the music together with the unique lyrics and powerful voice of Jim Steinman makes this an album well worth a place in anyone's collection. I defy anyone with a love of great music to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought out of pure curiosity..., 16 Sep 2006
Ghost of Kai (South Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
I bought this album following an review I read on it on the amazon site. I was really intrigued by this album because I knew it existed but had never really got round to listening to any Jim Steinman material.

Quite honestly any Meatloaf/Jim Steinman fan should not be without this in their collection. Jim Steinman doesn't have a voice as stong as MeatLoaf's but he does sing incredibly well. If you get this album listen to "Dance in my Pants" - one of my personal favourites!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not miss this album, 31 Oct 2006
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
Excellent stuff, fills the chronological gap between Bat out of Hell and Dead Ringer. Meatloaf was apparently voiceless when this was due for recording but Steinman and Co make a decent fist of it. Title track and Left in the Dark worth the cost alone. Play loud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why has this album been 'Left in the Dark'?, 20 Jun 2008
This review is from: Bad For Good (Audio CD)
I can't even begin to describe how great this album is! Jim isn't just a singer/songwriter...he's a poet and a genius!
Although Jim doesn't possess a rip-roaring voice like Meat Loaf's, he still manages to evoke that sense of epic, quasi-theatrical mayhem in 'Bad For Good' a hallmark common to his other major works:'Bat Out of Hell' 1 and 2.
Most of the songs on the album have also been recorded by Meat Loaf at some point in time, and its nice to here Jim's own unique take on the songs, particularly 'Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire' and 'Lost Boys and Golden Girls', which later featured in 'Bat Out of Hell II'.

Although the track listing on the Amazon website omits 'Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through', the copy that I recieved DID contain it, in between 'Stark Raving Love' and 'Out of the Frying Pan'.
I was particularly glad, as 'Rock and Roll Dreams' is one of my favourite Steinman songs.

Great for fans of Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman...it doesn't matter where you're going or wherever you've been, this album is definately Bad For Good!

Bad For Good
Bad For Good by Jim Steinman (Audio CD - 2000)