Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 December 2008
Okay, this is a bit churlish, because it deserves a 5, but there are huge cuts from Oom Pah Pah, I think 2 verses missing - for political correctness? Not for space/length reasons as there are 200 dance choruses of Who Will Buy and Consider Yourself. I like the Shani Wallis songs the best, so to have big chunks taken out of one of her best songs is a real spoiler.

Elsewhere, the mixing is a little off. When you listen to Fine Life, it's like one giant unknown cockney is standing 2 inches away from your ear bellowing 'FINE LIFE!' during the choruses.
on 6 July 2009
This was perfect for my son to practise the songs from Oliver! I am of course sick of it, the performance is still to come!!!
on 4 August 2011
We HAD to buy this: my 6 yr old daughter has recently finished a school production of Oliver, and nagged us day and night to have it playing in the car.
Good point: 2. Extremely cheap price!
Bad points: 1. The songs don't play in the same order that they appear in the film, which feels really odd when you know the film really well [I personally find this REALLY irritating]. 2. Big chunks missing from certain songs. 3. Certain songs are mixed poorly, so that the singing can hardly be heard above the music [particularly "Where is love" Oliver's solo] which doesn't occur during the film itself.
That said, I'm really glad we've got it; we all sing along together during our road trips, and even my two year old boy is getting to know all the words, we play it so often!
Good value for money; we wouldn't be without it, now!
on 9 October 2009
After seeing the stage production my daughter fell in love with Oliver, and insisted that we buy the soundtrack. This is the original taken from the film, and the best in my opinion. If you love the film and the show, you cant go wrong....prepare to find yourself singing along!
VINE VOICEon 5 September 2007
There are few musicals with so many great numbers as Oliver!: 'Consider Yourself'; 'You've Got to Pick a Pocket or Two'; 'As Long As He Needs Me'; 'Reviewing the Situation'....the list just goes on and on. Lionel Bart never wrote a better musical (and I'm not sure anyone else did). It's now an incredible bargain at Amazon's current price of under £3-00. Some people prefer the stage recording (there are some odd balances in this, the film recording, but they don't detract from the pleasure) ; but for sheer joy and wonderful orchestral arrangements, you should snap this up.

Terrific.
on 3 November 2004
What a fantastic film with a brilliant soundtrack. I used to watch this when I was only 2 and from then on knew the entire film off by heart, including the script.
If you like musicals, then this is the one for you. It is a real get up and dance type film, and will have you entertained for hours even though there are no pictures to watch.
And who says you have to be able to sing to enjoy this soundtrack? Half the time in the Oom Pa Pa song there are lots of drunk men singing, so if you are really terrible you can always play/ sing those parts.
Great price. buy buy buy!!
I’ve been a huge musical fan since my early days, and love the period of the big MGM musicals, from the 30’s, 40’s 50’s and 60’s.

I first got this soundtrack on Vinyl, (on the RCA Victor label and I still have that record), and then when it was released on CD I bought it.

I think it’s one of the best musical about due to three things:- the songs, musical score and its fantastic actors. :-)

Music and lyrics were composed by the great Lionel Bart, (he also wrote the book). :-)

It’s fantastic to hear the cast of the movie, not only were they great actors they also did a great job with singing these wonderful songs. :-)

If you were to ask me did I have a favourite, I’d have to say yes, (even though I love the entire soundtrack), it’s “As Long As He Needs Me” sung by Shani Wallis. :-)

It’s a great CD that always puts a smile on your face, (just like the film does). :-)

I can highly recommend this CD to the fans of the film and anyone who loves a good musical. :-)
on 17 May 2008
I've always loved the film Oliver! especially singing along with the musical numbers in the film. So recently I purchased the CD soundtrack.

I already love the songs so there's no issue there but the songs are cut from what is heard in the film. This disapointed me which is why i've only given it three stars.
on 24 December 2008
For a soundtrack so good that it can really do nothing wrong, I have to applaud those responsible for this disc for making such a hash brown of this. Many of the most enjoyable verses and even occasional (essential) dialogue is cut from the CD version for apparently no reason. Who did they think was going to benefit from this?? I am gravely disappointed and wait patiently for a better attempt. Until then, don't pay for this disc. If you still want a copy, (although ordinarily it is against all my principles) I suggest some kind of illegal download. They really don't deserve a penny for this half-arsed effort.
55 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2015
A real hit with my grand=daughters. Repeatedly played in the car for sing-alongs. Tragedy - disc has disappeared, empty case still in car. Must order a replacement.