4.0 out of 5 stars Original and thoughtful - and in beautiful sound
A swift survey of the many reviews of this version of Mahler's mighty "Resurrection" symphony reveals a bewildering range of responses, utterly unhelpful to anyone looking for guidance in how to pick a recording. The truth is that there are many successful recordings of this work out there, and many will give satisfaction, be it Mehta, Solti, Bernstein or - my favourites...
Published on 21 May 2009 by Ralph Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Balance please
I'm no classical buff like most of the reviewers here appear to be, but I bought this on the basis of the reviews here and am distinctly underwhelmed by the production values.
Its either too quiet so you turn the volume up only to be deafened when Mahler/EMI technicians/Rattle activates (another) of his crescendo's.
This is intensely annoying and believe me I am...
Published on 15 July 2008 by K. N. Tole

5.0 out of 5 stars An energetic account of a great work, 10 Sep 2006
This review is from: Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection' (Audio CD)
This is my only recording of this symphony, so I cannot compare it to anything. However, I will say that the reason I only have this recording is becuase I feel that nothing can top this (although many others get glowing reviews as well). On many occasions I have bought a second and third recording of a piece and have been disappointed that they do not live up to the standards of the first.

In this recording Simon Rattle gives us a clear, energetic and emotional account of one of the all time great musical works. The CBSO are as good here as any other orchestra I've heard, as are the chorus. The CD sound is rich and of excellent quality throughout. Each movement is sparkling with energy and emotion, but the highlight must be the gradual build up of the final movement (at 35 mins long it is one of the longest ever)which makes for a mind-blowing finale. During the last few bars you can almost see the energy that Rattle and his musicians are putting into the music, although there is no sign of fatigue in the orchestra at all.

Any fan of this symphony would be a fool not to buy this, and I expect that many will have it as their first choice. However, if Rattle is given the chance to record it with the Berlin Phil then I would not hesitate to give that a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection' (Audio CD)
Reaches parts others cannot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Balance please, 15 July 2008
This is intensely annoying and believe me I am playing it on an excellent Hi-Fi - not some bucket basement system.
I've been searching for a copy that I swear I had with George Solti conducting Janet Baker in this symphony which I remember as being immeasurably better than this (the Dame appears tired in this recording) but it might be a figment of my addled youth. Till then it will be played at mid level hoping that a better version is out there to be found. It's all very 'Emperor's New Clothes' with Rattle anyway. Now back to the Beethoven and Bruckner.

Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection'
Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection' by Arleen Auger (Audio CD - 1987)