4.0 out of 5 stars Up there Amongst The Best
Published on 9 July 2006 by C. Perry

2.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed :(
Disappointed cos Google searches recommended this as his most popular album and I think its way too commercial mid road no personality boring sorry but I love the guy and his album I Heard That! is more up my street and what I was looking for in terms of quality. This is very safe n easy verging on boring.
Published on 25 Sept. 2011 by AL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Up there Amongst The Best, 9 July 2006
This review is from: Dude (Audio CD)
Basically with the same team that gave us Give Me The Night and Off The Wall this is a standout in several simultaneous areas which makes the entirerty such a great album: the songwriting from Rod Temperton; the session guys have from Off The Wall who all got their own jazz fusion contracts/careers; Quincys production and an amazing array of vocaltalent interpreting the songs. To some this might sound a bit overproduced - I can understand that, but for anyone growing up at the time this came out and listened to it then, this was as good as it got.

Sublime arrangements, not a bad track on the album. If I had to pick my favourites I would choose Velas, Ai No Corrida & Something Special, but really you can't go wrong.

At £6.00 - Snap this up!!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite soul/pop crossover albums, 26 Nov. 1999
s.forrester@dtn.ntl.com (Welwyn Garden City, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dude (Audio CD)
A great album for those who liked Michael Jackson's album 'Off The Wall' and are curious about producer Quincy Jones' own material. 'Ai No Corrida' gets the feet tapping, 'The Dude' is a sort-of jazz/rap crossover, whilst 'Just Once' is a ballad about a relationship that keeps going wrong, with a memorable vocal performance by James Ingram. 'Betcha Wouldn't Hurt Me' is from the pen of Stevie Wonder, and sung by Patti Austin. Among the more mellow tracks are the Ingram-sung 'One Hundred Ways' and a lovely harmonica-led instumental, 'Velas'. This is an album that has a track for almost every mood that a person can be in, and the musicianship and guest vocals are of the highest order.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy listening, 9 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Dude (Audio CD)
Good feel good music to listen to whilst driving to work to put you on a high for the rest of the day! Love Quincy Jones!

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the words, 30 July 2007
T. V. Holloway (Village in The Uk, but a Townie really!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dude (Audio CD)
This album takes me back to pre exams, my dad bought it for me and my friend and I played it all summer long when the sun shone in summer holidays! Am I getting old. 'Betcha wouldn't hurt me' did not get very far, but listen to the words, '100 Ways' is just lovely and we can all dance and sing to 'razzamatazz' and 'Ai no corrida'. Smooth album witha bit of Jazz I have to say it is one of my favourites but that maybe because I associate with happy memories, so why not buy it close your eyes and share with me. QJ wrote and produced for the old Michael Jackson when he was recognisable! My favourite is 'JUST ONCE' If you liked 'Off the Wall' you'll love this, even though not as fast. The guy's a genius...just buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dude? YEAH!!, 3 Mar. 2011
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dude (Audio CD)
Back in the day when these great tracks, such as 'Razzamatazz' were gracing the airwaves, often Radio One's Top 40, I was fully immersed in synth pop or prog rock, aware that such great music was out there, but just not buying it.

It's only recently that I've got to buy and finally appreciate such gems. With Quincy being not only a supremely gifted and modest man but whose influence has become legendary. The mastery of his instrumentation and arranging and production makes masterpieces out of already good songs. The opening fade-in of the first track, Ai No Corrida is so spatial and inviting that it sets a really inviting and optimistic feel about the whole collection.

This is the Maestro at his best. Dude.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diva, 21 Jun. 2008
This review is from: The Dude (Audio CD)
I bought 'The Dude' as an audio tape when it first came out and it travelled the world with me when I went on holiday. Absolutely amazing sounds when chillin' around the pool. If you've ever been in a relationship it's impossible to listen to the words of 'Just Once' and not empathise. I still have the tape (cover faded with the sun) but bought the CD when that came out and continue to get as much pleasure from listening to it as I did in the 80's. If you haven't got it in your collection and you're a lover of perfection then I urge you to buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must own piece of music history, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Dude (Audio CD)
I bought this as this 'project' is the bridge between Michael Jacksons 'Off the Wall' and world best seller 'Thriller' album. Quincy produced both Michaels Jackson albums but 'The Dude' album appears to be where Quincy honed many of the techniques which when sprinkled with Michaels Jacksons magic dust, made Thriller the worlds biggest selling album of all time ever, selling over 110 million albums. Second place is currently 60 million albums behind and is held by AC/DC (random), as I said I am a completest. This is a must own piece of music history

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite soul/pop crossover albums, 26 Nov. 1999
s.forrester@dtn.ntl.com (Welwyn Garden City, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars One to remember, 13 April 2002
This review is from: Dude (Audio CD)
Quincy Jones continues to influence music today but this is the only album that I know of that he put his name too. Soulful ballards like Just Once and One hundred ways I have never been able to forget ( I stil know most of the words) aligned with tracks like dude which at the time were comtempary and fun. If your a soul fan this is an album for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta be one of the most classic sound tracks ever ..., 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Dude (Audio CD)
Gotta be one of the most classic sound tracks ever produced . Innovative , creative , mood evoking music , from one of the planets most talented producers .........ever .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dude
Dude by Quincy Jones (Audio CD - 1991)