Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

Trash.
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

In a career that spans 5 decades, Trash is one of the King of Shock Rock's best. It's difficult to say where it fits in in his career since he has done so much different music. Put simply, it's not gothic and intense like his early albums, or quirky like some that followed it's just ballsy rock. If you're an Alice fan like me then I'm just wondering why this one isn't already in your collection, if you're just interested in listening more to Alice then this is a good place to start. Poison was the big hit and is one of THE rock anthems of the 80s but Spark in the Dark, Bed of Nails, I'm Your Gun and several others stand out. Top class Alice.
on 17 July 2000
Alice Cooper reminds me of David Bowie in some respects. Not the style or the look or anything, but, the willingness to go out on a limb and try something different. Not every Bowie fan likes every Bowie album and that could also be said about Alice Cooper. I think "Trash" is a move on Alice's part to try his hand at a more mainstream album than he had done in the past. I think he completely succeeded here. The songs are about sex, love, and relationships gone wrong. These subjects are all rock and roll staples. What makes this different from the way a band more traditionally known for it's melodic bend is Alice's presentation. He snarls through the song "Trash" in a VERY Alice Cooper way. "It's just the way you love me when you turn to t r a a a s h." He makes it sound so...wicked. "Poison" is one of my all time favorite songs. Hasn't everybody known somebody that just pushed all the right buttons but you KNOW better than to touch? "I wanna love you but I better not touch." For most of the other songs, you can get a clue as to what it's about by the song's title, except, perhaps, "Bed of Nails", which is a song about down and dirty sex. "Love hurts good...I'll drive you like a hammer on a bed of nails.". Just for balance, Alice added a ballad, "Only My Heart Talkin'". Overall, the album is more commercial than a lot of Alice's previous work. I expect some of the fans of his much older material may find it a little, hmm, commercial for their liking. As for the rest of us that love the melodic hard rock bands and the lighter side of Alice, this album is a must! If you are a fan of bands within the aforementioned group, such as, Aerosmith and Def Leppard, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Many of the bands have 1999-2000 releases. After you pick up a copy of "Trash", you might want to go check out your favorites. "Don't wait for a better day. Or you won't get there at all."-Kane Roberts-(Used with his kind permission)
on 28 June 2005
You can't help but love this album. Alice has been through so many styles, so many changes, some more commercial than others (I mean, School's Out was commercial in it's day, the single made it to no. 1!)and they've all been good. Just because there are echoes of Bon Jovi (quite literally...) doesn't mean it's bad in any way. I love this album. It's sexy and raw. It doesn't matter what the musical style is, slick commercial rock or not, once Alice's unique and wonderful voice starts this can only be an Alice Cooper album and it is raw. Who else could make the word 'Trash' sound so good (and so BAD) at the same time! And surely the lyrics aren't really commercial either? - 'Bed of Nails' for example. The love songs are moving, the others are rocking and, well, if you're in the mood, SEXY! You have to listen hard for the 'guest appearances', but that's fun too. I don't just like the commercial stuff I like Alice's early classics ('Killer' especially) too - but I'm a young fan, I've only been a fan since 1999, so I look back on the whole catelogue without the hinderance of nostalgia for the classic early seventies, so I don't see why this album (or Hey Stoopid) have sometimes been slammed. 'Trash' just makes you feel good, it's an album for when you need some loud music to sing along to, and when you want to hear Alice's vocal talents at their best. 'Poison' has been on a lot of compliations lately - reflecting how good the track is and the longevity it has. Being commerical has its benefits - more people get to enjoy the music! I've loved it since the day I bought it and I've never got bored of listening to it!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
'Trash' was the first Alice Cooper album that I ever purchased. I did so after hearing lots of people speak of it as a 'classic', and of course, I was familiar with the catchy hit single 'Poison', which is, perhaps predictably, the opening track.

I know that this 1989 release was Alice's comeback album, issued on the Epic record label, and one big success after years in the chart wilderness, but after investing in lots more Alice Cooper albums, I can see now that 'Trash' is far from one of his greatest works.

Not that it's a bad album either, it's very commercial and there are enough good tracks on here to be happy with the record ('House Of Fire' probably being my favourite), but I can't help to feel that 'Trash' is more of a Desmond Child (the producer) album and lacking the real Alice Cooper. Most of the songs have Child's fingerprints all over them, and whilst I respect him a lot (he did some superb work for Bonnie Tyler, and was fundamental in reinventing Cher as a rock chick), it isn't quite what you would expect from a typical Alice Cooper record.

Having said that, it was a great comeback from someone who hadn't set the charts alight for many years, and the album saw him return to the mainstream of things. Two years later came 'Hey Stoopid', a far more superior record and if anything, deserved to overshadow the success of 'Trash'.

This is a good album but there are far better Alice solo albums out there. Casual fans will probably love it though.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 October 2010
An album that splits the fans,this disc can be viewed as something akin to the last cast of the die for Cooper,his career going nowhere.Essentially Cooper became a Bon Jovi clone with Desmond Child co-writing 9 of the 10 tracks.

What tends to be overlooked is the fact that its actually a great pop/rock disc full of pumped up rock anthems with hummable choruses.

The album was a success,Alice was catapulted back to the charts and his fight back was on,he never looked back,he never ever felt the need to be quite as commercial again,job done.

Enjoy it for what it is rather than hark back to the past.
on 19 November 2010
Once again Alice tweeked his musical style in order to speak to the masses. Constrictor and Raise Your Fist... worked to a degree in niche market sales and brought him back into the public eye once again but didn't capture the hearts of the masses as he once had. Trash and his collaboration with Desmond Child changed all that and he was on top again. 'Poison' peaked to the heady heights of most music charts and began bothering the airways ever since. It is still played relatively regularly today, which cannot be said for anything he had written after Welcome to My Nightmare. It was a big deal and it had taken a long time but Alice had been moved to the A-list once more. His single and album sold by the thousands. But this was to the detriment of the music. While it is by no means his worst album, it even doesn't hold the same grip as his previous 2 efforts.

The music is still heavy rock but with more of a glam and grime bent. It's subject matter is sex, not horror and it has a drunken swagger rather than a thumping heartbeat. And the opener, 'Poison', is the perfect introduction to the updated Alice for the looming 90s. I won't critique it as you probably have heard it a million times by now. Oh, go on then - it's reeeaaalllyyy cheesy but absolutely brilliant. It's up there with 'Livin On A Prayer' and 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing'. Rawk! 'Spark in the Dark' is pretty good and follows the dirty, yet sexy remit well. Nice tune. 'House of Fire' is more anthemic but falls a little short in my opinion. It's ok. The same can be said for 'Why Trust You'. It's a filler track, nothing more. 'Only My Heart Talkin' is better and is a ballad that works well with the rest of the album. Not perfect but much better.

'Bed Of Nails' is another cracker. Not quite classic but pretty close and nearer in tone to the Alice of old. 'This Maniac's In Love With You' is another filler track really. The title track is a pretty decent, grungey, grimey, dirty little rawk song. But not the best. 'Hell is Living Without You' is an ok ballad. And 'I'm Your Gun' is a by-the-numbers rousing, rockin' ending that is good but not great.

The song of note here is 'Poison'. Yes it has been played to death and I find it a little hard to listen to but it is clearly the best track on the album. The other tracks are not awful either, most are pretty good, but they are nowhere near classic.

A standard effort that left behind the great lyricist and brought in the lechy uncle. A leaning towards rock MOR was to come...
on 6 September 2009
Trash is the 1989 album by Alice Cooper, i think its a good album, but i still think "Hey Stoopid" is better. This album is popular through its singles "Poison", "Bed Of Nails", "House Of Fire" & "Only My Heart Talkin'".

These are the ratings for each song and why:-

1. Poison (10/10) - This is a great opening to the album, its the first single on the album as well. This song has a great chorus, great lyrics and really gets ya singing to it in no time!

2. Spark In The Dark (10/10) - This is another brilliant song, again has great lyrics and a great chorus, its just brilliant to listen to!

3. House Of Fire (10/10) - What a great firing song, it really is much like a party song really. Gets you dancing to it in no time as well. The song has great lyrics, great chorus, and a great tune.

4. Why Trust You (7/10) - I'm not really too keen on this song, as it really isn't catchy enough for me, but I'm sure others might like it.

5. Only My Heart Talkin' (10/10) - This is the first ballad on the album, and what a great way to start the ballad section on this album. This song is sung with real feeling, and it has such a great lovely chorus.

6. Bed Of Nails (10/10) - I actually didn't like this song at first, but it grew on me, as the song got more stronger and catchy. I like the lyrics and the chorus is good.

7. This Maniac's In Love With You (10/10) - This song is great, the song has great lyrics and a good chorus, but what always caught me on this song, is the brilliant bridge up to the chorus.

8. Trash (5/10) - the title track which says it all for this song, Trash!. It just sounds so stupid, it isn't catchy for me at all and i think its the worse song on the album.

9. Hell Is Living Without You (10/10) - This is the second and final ballad on this album, and i think its one of his best ones. It has such great lyrics and when your listening to it it really gets in your head. The chorus is way catchy and brilliant!

10. I'm Your Gun (4/10) - This is another weak track I'm not keen on, I think its a rubbish way to end this album, i would rather have "Dirty Dreams" then this rubbish song on here.

In conclusion, this album is good, there are a few weak songs like "Why Trust You", "Trash" & "I'm Your Gun". The best song on this album i think is "Poison" and the best ballad is "Hell Is Living Without You". I would recommend this album to anyone who is a big fan of Alice Cooper, go for it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Trash is such an amazing album...this is one of the best shock rock albums you could ever want to hear, the album contain my favourite and his most memorable song of all time POISON which is the reason I brought the album in the first place then to my discovery being blown away by the rest of the songs just being kick-ass and fantastic.
This is one for all Cooper fans worldwide...if yourjust getting into Alice then I would start by getting this one first as like I said it contain POISON the song that changed alot of people including me the first time I heard it.
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2009
I've always been a fan of classic Rock music. Such bands as Bon Jovi, Aerosmith and Van Halen in my eyes are what made music truly great in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. The mixture of loud and basey guitar play and the epic sound of the arena style vocals made some of these bands music all the more memorable. Alice Cooper was on the front line of that generation and Trash was his first platinum album for 15 years.

Next to "Schools Out" the first song on this magnificent album "Poison" is possibly Coopers most successful single. On top of that, the album contains some of the more energetic, loud and soulful ballads. "Bed of Nails" is a great example of the fast and energetic style of song featured in this album. "Only My Heart Talkin'" is a good example of the soulful ballads as the lyrics seem to come from the heart, whilst the guitar solos come from the soul.

It is a fantastic album and a return to form for Cooper and is something I would highly recommend to any fan of classic Rock.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love people who say that this album isn't Alice Cooper, it doesn't sound like Alice, can I ask which variation of Alice you are referring to? Welcome to my Nightmare, Killers or the wonderfully odd Zipper catches skin? This Album is Alice cooper through and through, its has a swagger to it, its all riff laden and slightly tongue in cheek. The only downside for me is that its not as dark as other Cooper outings, but is this a bad thing? Its a great album and OK it might not be the best Alice album ever released but it is a great album, one that to some degree brought Alice back into the public eye and rejuvenated his career. when you consider what else was stuck in our charts at the time,Black Box, Jason Donovan, New Kids on the block, Jive Bunny!! this albums deserves an award for bringing Rock back into the mainstream.