5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous tunes to mellow out to.
Published on 8 Feb 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Only one more review from Spain
Well I think this is an easy to listen to album , but it has not the strength of the other Michael's works. You can listen to it working, driving, even making love, but You can't really feel the emotion that It used to make me feel when i listened to "One more try", "Faith", "Jesus to a Child" or even "Careless Wishpers". But I...
Published on 11 Feb 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous tunes to mellow out to., 8 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Only just bought this cd and it is 2002. The revival of big band music made me take a second look at this cd. George has made me proud again! As a devoted fan I am astounded by his version of 'the first time ever I saw your face'- all I can say is 'wow'. If you looked at this cd when it was first released and it did not appeal to you, please give it a second chance. It is up there with the Ladies & Gentlemen cd. Please George more like this!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What can i say!, 15 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Not really liking G.M. or his music, way too popie for me,I was very pleasantly surprised by this album.Some classic songs done in such a relaxing way.I have to give Mr Michaels credit where credit is due. Even when my friends visit and i say 'listen to this, its by G.M.' the reaction is one of shock and 'no thats not really him'., just before they rush out and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent A MUST BUY, 18 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This new CD is really different from other George albums. The entire CD is cover songs and it really showcases George's voice as he takes you into a jazzy and smooth ride of soft tunes. First off we have "Brother Can You Spare A Dime" in which he sang this live for the NetAid concert and this brilliant cover shows real pure emotion and passion. "Roxanne" a Police cover is really great as he goes JAZZY on us with this track and really giving his all on this one. He takes Roxanne to a place the original never went to which is real passion and meaning behind the words you really feel every note and lyric. "You've Changed" - is a song that makes you want to take a hot bath and just relax to the smooth melodies. "My Baby Just Cares For Me" 1:43 - Nice upbeat song this time with changed lyrics and the bit about Ricky Martin is a nice added touch. Finally another standout track is "Secret Love" 2:39 - BEST SONG ON THE CD! Cant stop listening to it!! Seems this song was made just for George to sing. Really a classic! Pick up a copy or two really a nice way to start off the holidays with this smooth CD. If you want to relax this is the CD for you! Brent Pearson USA

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 16 Feb 2006
Benny Boy (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
George changes his style for this album. Great stuff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Pure pleasure, 4 Dec 2005
By A Customer
Love George Michael, Love this album...pure bliss, a biased opinion however, if your'e not a GM fan, you probably wont enjoy it.
His version of "Roxanne" better than Sting's! I'm no Simon Cowell but WOW, it is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 30 Aug 2000
I have always loved George's music and was at first a little unsure about this new venture.But as a loyal fan , I bought the album .... and fell in love with it. George's voice lends so well to all of these classics. "Brother , can you spare a dime" is extremely powerful and is my favourite on the album with "You've changed " coming a close second. I recommend this highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars George Michael proves that he is an outstanding artist, 4 Jan 2000
By A Customer
Great songs of the 20th Century, new renditions and treatments, difficult to choose a favourite more like match a song to a mood.Mellow, red wine and fireside music, but thats the best time to listen ! George proves what a truly great singer he his, some of the choices are brave (Miss Sarajevo!)but to his credit , he pulls it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Done, 8 Dec 1999
By A Customer
George Michael cordon bleu penchant for music takes a turn in these renditions of old classics laced with classy eloquence. G.M bestows his stylistic charms into tunes that are as deeply arousing as his own exquisite personification. 'Brother Can You Spare A Dime ' in its own lush interpretation, exudes the kind of subtle star quality akin with old 60's songs. 'My Baby Just Cares For Me' and 'Secret Love' is so gorgeously gowned in some strapless sensation that it makes you want to get down and savour its sweet melody. And look out for 'Where Or When' - a true minimalist masterpiece that leaves you nothing less that exasperated. These are tunes sprinkled into the timeless hours of classics and elegance carried by an equally classy guy. It tempts you to close your eyes; reminiscence with the past, leaving you swaying in an indelible impression of pleasance and radiance. It is simply M-U-S-T for anyone interested in a smashing good rendition of smooth jazzy tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utter brilliance!, 14 July 2000
dtdoyle@hotmail.com (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I came across this CD quite by chance and now cannot recommend it highly enough to my friends and colleagues. George Michael's superb voice lends the necessary weight to these fine songs and his rendition of "Secret Love" and especially "First Time I Saw Your Face" melt the most solid of hearts.
I admit, this is not the usual Michael CD - but that only lends to his brilliance. If you want Wham! then do not bother, if you want a great voice doing justice to some beautiful songs, then this is definitely for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars George - could you be any smoother?, 25 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Songs From The Last Century [Us Import] (Audio CD)
When this CD first came out I dimissed any thought of buying it - as a collection of cover versions is not how I want to spend my hard earned cash - how wrong I was! My friend was given a copy as a valentine gift (ahh) and raved about it. From the outset it is smooth with a capital SMOO. Best tracks are definately "Brother can you spare a dime" (be prepared to make a huge fool of yourself singing very loudly on the bus - I did) and "You've changed" (foolish bus antics as before, but slightly quieter singing). George clearly enjoys himself on "Secret Love" (ahem)and "My baby just cares for me" on the later "Ricky Martin's smile is something he can't see". So, go out and buy this - you'll thank me for it.

Songs From The Last Century [Us Import]
Songs From The Last Century [Us Import] by George Michael (Audio CD)