My children and I like this record very much indeed.

Published on 24 Aug 2010 by Cardew Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Delightful For Children
Published on 19 Feb 2008 by Mr. Paul Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot more than just "Carnival..." on this disc: A lovely collection for children, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Saint-SaŽns: Carnival of the Animals / Ravel: Mother Goose [Naxos Children's Classics] (Audio CD)
My children and I like this record very much indeed.

To be fair to some of the harsher reviewers of this disc, you don't get a straight rendition of Saint-Saens's "Carnival..." on this Naxos CD. Johhny Morris introduces all of the pieces, providing witty verse intros. He even sings over a couple of them (e.g. the Aquarium). Admittedly this vocal accompaniment came as something as a surprise to me when I first played the disc and I was somewhat disappointed. It certainly won't be to everyone's taste. Ultimately, however, it's not a problem as I can always
buy a different copy of the "Carnival..." where only the music does the talking. And of course Johhny Morris's intros have charm and wit.

The crowning glory of the CD for me- and what my kids love especially- are his brief intros to each piece in Ravel's "Mother Goose" suite. Now this IS what an orchestral narrator's job is all about: he's informed, informative and superb at whetting the appetite to the glorious music to follow. "Little Ugly, Empress of the Pagodas" never sounded better to my ears, but what makes it truly enjoyable each time we put it on is Johnny's prior description of the scenes evoked by the music.

So if you commit to buy, don't be too disappointed by the singular rendition of "Carnival..." and do give the rest of the disc a listen too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Delightful For Children, 19 Feb 2008
Mr. Paul Drew "pdq" (Bradford West Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
It isn't so difficult to agree with both of the two other reviewers. If you want to listen to the music of Carnival of the Animals without the interruption of television's best-loved zoo-keeper then obviously this isn't the CD for you. If like me however, you are of a certain age and loved Animal Magic or, unlike me, you have some young children to entartain then I can heartily recommend this work to you. The Belloc-like cautionary verse goes well with the music and the whole is pleasant enough to listen to whilst occupied with other tasks.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 2 July 2009
C. Waring "Auntie Cazz" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought the CD for use in school. Johnny Morris narrates excellently although personally I'd prefer less speaking and more music. The children really like it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Morris' narration spoils good music, 13 July 2006
BNW (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
If you like listening to the music in Carnival of the Animals, avoid this CD at all costs. I'm sure I'd find Jonny Morris's narration charming (if a little twee, at times) if it wasn't for the fact that he talks OVER the music half the time.

Tortoises, Aquariam and Fossils are all completely ruined by this, with the music barely audible underneath the speech.

The music itself is a little lacklustre, lacking any real sparkle. The technical wizardry of The Sorcerer's Apprentice particularly absent, for example.

I would have no hesitation in NOT recommending this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars I beg to differ..., 20 Nov 2007
I admit I have 2 versions of the Carnival of the Animals. I've had this version for many years now, and recently I bought another one which was purely music. I have to say I can't bring myself to listen to Carnival of the Animals unless Johnny Morris is narrating it. It's just not the same without him!
I love the way Johnny Morris tells you the story behind the music. It really helped me to appreciate classical music. I think the music is perfectly audible underneath his interesting and humourous narration. My personal favourite bit is when he describes the story of the Sorceror's Apprentice - it really helps me to picture what the music is trying to express.
Also, I can't understand why another reviewer thought the music was not exciting. I personally find it spectacular. It really brings the animals to life. Oh well, each to their own...
*I was lucky enough to watch Johnny Morris perform this live before he died*

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to classical music for young children, 4 Jan 2012
It's lovely to hear the voice of Johnny Morris after so long. I find it slightly annoying that he sings to one of the tracks, but hey, my children love it and continualy listen to it so I couldn't ask for more. A complete bargain at the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canival of the Animals, 30 Oct 2013
Mr. Graham Sherman (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
As a person who grew up in seeing Johnny Morris presenting 'Animal Magic' it was good to hear his narration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating young imaginations, 16 May 2012
My very young Grandsons love music and "feel" the sense of music, firing their imagination of prowling tigers, slithering snakes & so on! Carnival of The Animals has stirred the senses further and is helping them understand the orchestra, My daughter saw Johnny Morris at The Albert Hall as a child reciting Peter & The Wolf so she too has loved the experience of listening with the boys this particular CD and enjoying his vocal gift once more. I may live the other side of the world but Nanna scored again as this flew to Australia, it has proved a great "quiet time" followed by some exciting play later!!
Well recommend with Peter & The Wolf narrated by Dame Edna!!

2.0 out of 5 stars There are much better recordings., 29 Oct 2010
Mrs. K. J. Simpson (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My Dad got this for my son and I have to say it is not great. As has been mentioned in other reviews, Morris talks over large sections of many of the tracks during the Carnival of the Animals. In particular the song that goes with Aquarium is terrible and lasts for most it. However I think that the descriptions for the Mother Goose Suite and Sorcerers Apprentice provide a useful description for those unfamiliar to the music, but I do feel that the Saint-Saens has been ruined on this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014