5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect introduction to Jazz for non "Jazz" lovers, 12 May 2005
Andrew Goodman (Tarbes, Hautes-Pyrenees France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I think I first heard this CD when I borrowed it from my local library. The only tune I'd heard was Take 5 (actually a Paul Desmond composition) Listening to the CD was something of a reveleation for me. It was as though I had finally discovered the kind of jazz music I'd been looking for for ages. Not overly technical in a "look how good I am with my 10 minute solo" kind of way, which by the way I don't really like and tire of very quickly. Brubeck & Co are very tuneful and very understated in their approach, yet remain very technically good. I like clever jazz and clever melodies, and that's what this is, not in your face and brash.
This cd has a nice little collection of songs from various albums, including a few from Time Out. It also has the wonderful track 'I'm in a dancing mood' which I haven't seen elsewhere, and I don't think Brubeck wrote it either - It is however, just amazing and so full of swinging energy that I love it. 'In your own sweet way' is a similarly great solo piano piece in which Brubeck shows his finesse on the ivories. Bossa nova USA is another quality track. You don't have to be a hardcore Jazz fan to like this. It's very tuneful, and will have you tapping your toe if you're in any way into rhythm. It may also open you up to one of the most underrated jazz piano player-songwriters of the last 50 years. I'm so pleased I borrowed this from the library, it's been a wonderful musical journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will defy the foot-tappers!, 3 May 2009
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
It's easy to dismiss this as 'just jazz'. My musical tastes were created under the influence of 'Led Zeppelin', 'Deep Purple' and 'Free'.

My 'O level' Music teacher challenged me to tap my foot in time with some of Brubeck's tunes. It opened up a new world of rhythm for me!

Definitely music to be mellow to.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a GREAT music, indeed, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Well, I hadn't been a real jazz music fan when I first bought this CD but...but I clearly remember that when I bought it a few years ago and I got home, I put it into my cd player right away and listened to it three times in a row!! Couldn't help tapping and snapping to it. What a GREAT music, indeed! I loved and still love all the tracks, especially that "Rondo a la Turk" one which I used to ignore was one of Dave's milestones. Needless to say, I became an instant Brubeck fan!
If you are looking for a real jazz masterpiece, try this cd and then tell me if I'm right.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Jazz man!, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I was delighted with this album. I love this sort of jazz, the kind that is playing in a movie and has you wanting to know who it's by. Take 5 will forever be a firm favourite. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Bumpy, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Very hip smooth and bumpy jazz at its best I had this album years not realising what it was and when I played it I couldnt stop playing it. classic classy and gets you dancing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great., 17 Mar. 2013
Valley (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I know all these pieces as have them - but this is a great collection by a great man. Always feels as if he is loving playing as if he plays as much for himself as for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave at his best on this CD, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Nostaligally wonderful - the revitalising of an old recording gave it new life for me. I've listened to it twice qlready ! Packaging great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - Get This!, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I only knew Take Five before getting this CD but discovered many other memorable pieces. Buy this and you will play it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug. 2014
There are no words to describe Dave Brubeck

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Mar. 2015
Mr. Barry R. Kettell "brk" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Delivered nice and early everything ok

Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits
Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits by Dave Brubeck (Audio CD - 1994)