5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars
I worked at a cinema when this film was released. In between work I would sneak into the auditorium to catch snippets. It was an eagerly awaited blockbuster after all. But on each occasion I was repelled by what I saw: futuristic cars that looked like something you'd see at a fair; bright red hair; orange vests; Gary Oldman made to look ridiculous; low-budget-looking...
Published on 4 Feb 2004 by abbaabba

3.0 out of 5 stars Cinéma du Look goes high camp in the 23rd century!
Luc Besson is famed for his "Cinéma du Look" style, epitomised by gorgeous visuals and sometimes criticised as a triumph of style over substance. The Fifth Element is no exception and, if you enjoyed Besson's The Big Blue, you are sure to appreciate the wonderful eye-candy on offer in The Fifth Element. At the time of its production this was by far the most...
Published 7 months ago by Cartimand

5.0 out of 5 stars absoloutely fantastic, 27 Jun 2001
By A Customer
this is one of those films you cant watch jsut once youahve to keep watching it to get all of the movie as the first time the explostions hit you then after that the storyline then after that the sub story, etc etc

1.0 out of 5 stars Great film, poor effort, 23 Mar 2010
I wish I hadn't bought this. The cover is hideous, the content of the disc is disappointing. If they used the packaging from the DVD special edition it would have been so much better. Maybe Luc Besson knows this and that's why this is only available as an import... I hope he's working on a better version for the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars the fifth element, 21 July 2004
contrary to what has been said in another review, this wasnt gaumont's first English language film...i know of at least one other; "Leon"
the fifth element is a great film but i havent got time to write a full review just now...maybe later.
oldman is amazing
everything is amazing
i'm amazing
pasta is amazing!

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTALLY UNWATCHABLE DUE TO CAMP CHARACTER!, 21 April 2013
I had heard so much about how great this film was, which I thought so to until Chris "Camp and Damn Right Irratating" Tucker screamed into view and then from there on I could not watch it! The character totally ruined the film and added nothing to the story or plot, it being science fiction and NOT comedy! I will be selling the DVD and do not care how low it sells for due to it being unbearable to watch!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 24 Aug 2000
I find it almost impossible to believe that the director who gave us "Nikita" could have dreamed up such a dreadful turkey like this. What is the appeal of this movie? Ed Wood would be proud of this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars A real stinker, 13 April 2006
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
"The Fifth Element" is one turkey of a film. It starts off as a conventional ,if derivative, science-fiction film similar to "2001" and "Stargate" , but then rapidly descends into an unfunny farce , part comedy,part action/adventure , with the plot disappearing ignominiously up it's own behind. I don't know what Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman were doing in this film; they struggled gamely to make the most of the dreadful dialogue and inane storyline, but ended up looking unconvincing and slightly embarrassed. I had hoped that "The Fifth Element" would have been an intelligent, thoughtful futuristic film , but it is anything but. The title of another science fiction film sums up "The Fifth Element" - "Morons from Outer Space".

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst movie ever made, 8 Sep 2006
This has to be the worst movie ever made.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into the cinema to see this. I knew it was going to be bad. But never in my wildest dreams did I imagine a movie could be this bad.

Its visuals are praised as being beautiful. Am I alone in thinking the movie looks like plastic under designed trash. If it's meant to look like a comic book, then perhaps it does work, but I think it looks horrible.

There's something oddly oppressive about this movie. It might be that it's over stylized to the point were it becomes small and claustrophobic in its effect on an audience I felt like screaming but I was trapped in a cinema. At home I would never have got to the end of this movie.

The story is terrible. And the humour painful. It goes for whacky with the Mr and Mrs Evil thing, but it just doesn't work. The humour reminded me of children's TV - small half jokes that are presented as if they're great punchlines.

I hate this movie with a passion beyond any reason.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like a supermodel: beautiful, but utterly vapid, 21 May 2009
I have seen this a couple of times and have the DVD, but each time I watch it I find it thoroughly disappointing.

I should say that I love sci-fi films in general, especially near-future Earth-based sci-fi like this. I generally enjoy Besson films though he undoubtedly ignores script and character in favour of style and design. I really like Bruce Willis too - he is generally solid and watchable (Die Hard, 6th Sense, 12 Monkeys, Pulp Fiction, Last Boy Scout etc). Ian Holm is a typically dependable "British" character actor too.

But this film always leaves me cold.

I love the style and colourful palette, though the outrageous costumes (I think J-P Gaultier designed them) are too OTT for me. But it's the silly plot, poor direction and utterly disastrous performance of Chris Tucker that always kills this film for me.

The story isn't bad but it is poorly executed. Scenes don't hand together, action is disjointed and the film flags badly at times. Chris Tucker is the worst thing in a movie since Eric Roberts used to single-handedly ruin films (and anyone who has seen the Pope of Greenwich Village knows what I mean). The film is crusing along okay until he screeches into it. Was he meant to be funny? Every scene in which he features is unwatchable. Seriously unwatchable.

The humour in general is pretty painful stuff. Like the robber at Willis' flat at the start. Nice premise; dreadful execution. Euro-style "comedy" can be challenging to suffer through, but this is consistently juvenile, lame and detracts from the story.

Some of the effects are ropey too. The aliens who destroy the spaceship at the start look like rubber extras from an early Peter Jackson horror film which he knocked up in his kitchen.

Willis is cool, but Jovovich, like so many of the characters, manages to be consistently irritating. She may have a lovely smile and be pretty, but her performance grates.

I always want to like this film - but every time I watch it, it reminds me why I don't.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness we only rented the DVD to watch, 23 July 2000
By A Customer
I enjoy action films and Sci- fi, but this had us confused. It began well and then seemed to decend into farce. The film seemed to be a set of action pieces linked together with a ludicrous plot. We nearly gave up watching but were facinated to see what was coming next. On of the worst films we have seen in a long time. Thank goodness it was rented not purchased. The extra features on DVD are little use with a poor main feature.

The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element by Eric Serra (Audio CD - 1997)