on 9 April 2002
When Sandy Denny was a child, her parents were advised not to send her for any singing lessons. This album makes it obvious why.
SAndy's voice was, frankly, quite unbelievable, and her greatest talent was for injecting feeling and emotion into her songs.
My favourites are "Who knows where the time goes" which also has some lovely guitar work on it, "I'm a dreamer" and "Solo." "Farewell, farewell" is another treasure. There are one or two songs that don't particularly appeal to me, but the good songs aren't good, they are breathtaking. An excellent biography of Sandy, (I think it was called "No more sad refrains") was brought out a while back - this would give you an insight into this tragi-comic stunning singer.
on 1 August 2003
A good introduction to the recordings of Sandy Denny from 1968 until her untimely death 10 years later. The selections come from several albums by the groups Fairport Convention and Fotheringay, and from Sandy’s four subsequent solo albums. All the songs are memorable and of high quality, although the long tracks ‘Tam Lin’ and ‘Banks of the Nile’ take up 15 minutes of playing time and might perhaps have been better replaced by 3 or 4 shorter songs. The booklet contains the lyrics to most of the songs, full musician credits, and numerous archive photos. A very good value album, but for those wanting a more comprehensive compilation of either Sandy’s solo albums or all of her recordings, the recently remastered new collections, ‘Listen Listen’ and ‘No More Sad Refrains’ respectively, are strongly recommended.
on 9 August 2008
This album is a distilled version of 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' and as such is fantastic value for money as an intro to Sandy Denny, but be warned, the 3 disc box set 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' is The Definitive (capitals deliberate) collection of her best work and you'd be better off spending the extra money on that.
on 3 July 2000
Sandy Denny had a uniquely beautiful voice. The world was robbed of so much potential when she died, falling down the stairs.
Listen to the sheer gorgeousness of 'The Lady' and 'It'll take a Long Time'. This album is a great intoduction to Sandy's work: you'll soon be wanting more!
Try 'North Star Grassman and the Ravens' next.
on 12 November 2012
With the greatest respect and I bow to the excellence of Shirley Collins and Maddy Prior. After listening to Sandy Denny. Every female singer sounds ordinary, in comparison. Not only was Sandy one of the greatest folk singers ever. She was also a gifted composer, a guitar player and a piano player. When Sandy joined Fairport Convention, she helped to transform them into a Super-group. Then went on to form Fotheringay. Then she became a solo Artist with great effect. This record is a fantastic collection of some of Sandy's finest works. I don't really know what it is about her voice. It seems to cast a spell on you. It can go straight to your heart-strings, or be up-lifting and joyous. Just listen for example to the sad ballad of 'The Banks of the Nile'. It is hypnotic, ably backed by the astounding guitar work of Jerry Donahue. It is about War and the sadness of loss, probably about El Alamein. I particularly, like the part when Sandy mentions 'guns'. The drummer of Fotheringay plays an imitation of gun-fire.It is actually like being there. Other songs include the classic 'Who knows where the time goes'. Voted one of the best folk songs of all time, by the BBC. There is the haunting tale of 'Tam Lin'. from Fairport Convention days.
It is truely a magical song, spell-binding.
There are so many high-lights in this collection. It has got to be one of my favourite records.
on 4 March 2005
This album brings together Sandy's work and was the first album I bought when I purchased a decent CD player: OK so I bought 3 albums, Gothic Voices' "Hildegaard of Bingen" and Stevie Wonder's "Hotter than July" completed the trio. the reason to mention that is that this album is one that you would use to test the quality of your sound system.
The tracks encompasses a number of styles and it serves as a sampler from which to explore Sandy's work.
Somebody recently descibed Kate Rusby as a singer whose voice makes the hairs an the back of your neck prickle - Sandy was there first.
Sandy sings songs with the eloquence that the writer should wish to find. Sometimes her songs are covers, some are her own work, but she always sings them with conviction.
The tragic early history of Fairport Convention, with whom she did some of her best work, may have influenced and informed the poigniancy with which she sings "Meet on the ledge", but with "Mr Lacey" there is humour too.
Personally, I think Sandy is at her best when she is singing of the supernatural or of the darker side of the human experience, which she does on this compilation.
As I write this review, my mind is playing a track of her singing plaintively of the perils of the sea. the tracks on this album nestle in your subconscious and peek out from time to time.
Whether with Fairport, Fotheringay or with Trevor Lucas, Sandy delivered, but be warned: it is difficult to erase her singing from your memory.
on 28 December 2005
I had never heard of Sandy Denny before I stumbled across her on amazon. I'm glad I did, and bought this album. With such a beautiful, striking voice, Sandy's songs are undoubtedly powerful - the ballad Solo ("I've just gone solo - do you play solo?") is particularly memorable, as well as the more folky Pond and the Stream.
This album shows how easily Sandy used different styles in her music, and in my opinion, there are songs on this CD to suit most tastes, not just for people who are into folk. There is something about her voice that is very special - it just makes you want to listen to the same song on repeat for hours because you can't get enough of it! This is not something you experience with a lot of singers nowadays, at least for me, anyway!
on 3 November 2012
This CD arrived and when I opened it I was concerned as the case was scratched and damaged - not during despatch but obviously a well played and loved CD by the previous owner I played it and the CD was in great condition I have played it endless times since I received it- am playing it now whilst writing this review There isn't a single track that I don't enjoy.The Lady and Who Know where the Time Goes are my personal favourites. An amazing CD from Sandy Denny one of our legendary artists who is sadly missed.
on 15 July 2014
Sandy Denny had an amazing voice which could float over you like a wispy cloud concealing a wrecking ball . This is a good compilation of intelligently chosen songs . There a couple of Fairports and I think that Denny virgins would be better off buying Holidays , Unhalfbricking or Liege And Lief - you get Richard Thompson on those as an extra bonus . Either way , she is essential to any decent collection .
on 30 August 2014
If you like Fairport Convention you already know how great she was!

If not, but like Folk / Folk rock music, try it. I seriously doubt that you'll be disappointed!